The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Happy Birthday M8 1 year ago Today

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That's great advice, Guy, to build around a go-to lens. For most it will probably end up being a 28 or 35 on the M8. For me, it's the 35lux ... and the rest (too many to use at once anyway) ... follow.

Kurt
Exactly Kurt some love the 28 and others love the 35 framing. So there is no wrong one just what is comfortable and fits your vision. But folks need to figure this out first and my advice figure this out than build

I have been watching that 35 on eBay, but plan to pass on it because I am lens poor right now. That Leica Germany trip cost me a WATE, 50 Lux, and Noctilux. Besides I am happy with my 35 Cron ASPH for now so my next lens purchase will be a focal length I don't have (maybe 75mm).

Attachments

By the way, I picked up my M8 November 6th so our birthdays are close. It has been a great year - not without challenges, but very rewarding.

Guy Mancuso

I agree Mark but overall I have been extremely happy with the results the most . The rest is the rest , i don't look back to hard on the M8. It is what it is and does produce great images.

Terry

28 cron it had to be said but that maybe a down payment on a car. It truly is my lens cap. Okay forget that it is too much money. I also have found the 35 cron version IV to be SMALL and very good wide open plus has nice character to it like the 28 cron . Now there a little hard to find and me and my big mouth and others as well , Jack also the price has gone up on them. The only real choice for fast in 28 is 2600 dollar used 28 cron or the Ultron and that is big. Zeiss i believe is 2.8. This is the toughest area because you usually base your system off one or the other as your standard go too lens 28 or 35 and normally for spacing with the 28. Than you system should read like 12,21,28,50 and than the 35 mm It would be for spacing 15,24,35 and than 75.

So my advice is get in your head what lens is your gold standard on the camera at all times than build around that.

The issue is people just go buy a lens they think they need . What really we all should be doing is buying a system, so you need to think in terms like that. get your basic lineup in than fill in the gaps.

Coming from the lens pig that is hard to understand but even i did that right from the get go was get the 28 cron and built around it , now every gap is filled but that is a different story:D
Guy,
That is how I started. I went for the 35 and 75 as my first two lenses. I was having some problems with my 35 LTM adapter and coding. So, I did what you would do, I bought a new lens 50 'cron new and coded. I like the lens a lot, liked having the coding. So I needed to decide if I was a 28/50 or a 35/75 kind of gal....but all I figured out was that I was a 28/35/50/75 lens whore (oh and 15,21 and 90 :D).

First weekend
Framelines - oops forgot about those CV35 color skopar

A few days later
CV75 color Heliar

First weekend with 50 'cron

These are all straight from the camera with no PP.

Guy Mancuso

This is what makes it so hard is find that one that you can't be without and that is either a 28 or 35 than build it from there. Me personally and i can speak for Jack also we are 21,28 , 50, 75 folks. I could shoot almost anything with a 28mm and 75 lux. Also if you get a 28 cron you can make it a little smaller with a round metal hood instead of the leica hood. The 35 cron hood is pretty nice. But my 21 and 28 Leica are sporting metal hoods which make them smaller and there cheap on e-bay . Look for a seller named heavystar.

Hopefully i gave you some thought on this but as i said the 28 cron is the sweetheart in my kit followed by the 75 lux and the 21 elmarit. if i had to pick 3 out of the 10 lenses there first on my list. My personal choice and you have to figure what fits your style better. No one here will every tell you not to buy a 28 cron no matter what lenses you may have, the lens is that good.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry - A few days later CV75 color Heliar - Nice capture, it really has a joyous feeling and the OOF areas are nicely rendered.

Kurt - I really like Way-Of-Life and experimentalfactory that you posted in the gallery. I haven't seen these two images before. Great expression in Way-Of-Life and the layers created by the reflections and distortions is superb.

carstenw

Terry, the people of Morocco are notoriously hostile towards people taking their picture, so a fast tele is a must if you plan to do some street/people photography.

Terry

Terry, the people of Morocco are notoriously hostile towards people taking their picture, so a fast tele is a must if you plan to do some street/people photography.
Thanks, that's exactly how this bit of thread started. I was thinking of faster from the advice I got from you and others on LUF and had asked Jack earlier in the week about getting the 28 Ultron. I just haven't gone through my lens purchase strategy in any real methodical way. This is my first M so deciding what is going to be my "lens cap" and where to pay up and spend the money as a newbie has been an interesting journey.

Guy Mancuso

Looking all over for a 28 cron , I see just that one Terry. Any leads guys on one let Terry know. i sent a e-mail to David at Dale labs also. Maybe Jim has a dealer that may have one.

Full service website , we even shop for you. ROTFLMAO

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looking all over for a 28 cron , I see just that one Terry. Any leads guys on one let Terry know. i sent a e-mail to David at Dale labs also. Maybe Jim has a dealer that may have one.

Full service website , we even shop for you. ROTFLMAO
PhotoVillage - one new, one used.

Terry

thanks! I will call Photo Village when they open up. I think I am going to be one poor chickie by the end of today. I now know of two used and two new.

If anyone else is interested on joining me in the poor house, I also found a new 24 elmarit in the process.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, that's exactly how this bit of thread started. I was thinking of faster from the advice I got from you and others on LUF and had asked Jack earlier in the week about getting the 28 Ultron. I just haven't gone through my lens purchase strategy in any real methodical way. This is my first M so deciding what is going to be my "lens cap" and where to pay up and spend the money as a newbie has been an interesting journey.
Terry:

Seriously, if money isn't the issue here, just get the 28 Cron --- you won't regret it at all. With th 28/50 Crons as your base, I would then take your 21 and 15 --- the 15 is so small you can hide it in a wrap stored under your 21 and it will hardly be noticed and there if you need it... Then the small 90 and you will set for anything at about the same total weight as if you had taken the 28 Ultron, 50 Cron and 15 CV...

My .02,

Guy Mancuso

I agree Jack with the 28 cron and 50 cron she has a great starter set and with her 15 and 21 to fill in the gaps. There are also many types of 90 out there and in Leica alone there very good. The new 90 Summarit maybe a winner too. Having the 28 cron as the go to lens is the way to go, if the 28 fits your view

You gotta watch Guy, he is very helpful in spending your money. At least you can be content in knowing you are getting good advice from him. He is right about the 28 Cron. It is on my list of gotta get lenses - to bad the list is bigger than my toy fund.

J

Jamie Roberts

This is one of the very first shots I took with the M8, November 10, 2006, with my unfiltered 28 Elmarit ASPH, and processed with my profiles to mitigate the magenta.

Handheld at 1/16 of a second, eating dinner close by with my M8 and making a quick grab shot, I knew I was going to love this system for unobtrusive photography :)

What I didn't know is that I would catch Guy's disease and spend all my money on M glass!! LOL!!

View attachment 68

Guy Mancuso

You gotta watch Guy, he is very helpful in spending your money. At least you can be content in knowing you are getting good advice from him. He is right about the 28 Cron. It is on my list of gotta get lenses - to bad the list is bigger than my toy fund.
Yea I am pretty deadly on this front, otherwise a sweetheart:D:D

Maybe i should change my signature to a warning. Gives great advice but watch your cash. LOL