The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Happy Birthday M8 1 year ago Today

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is one of the very first shots I took with the M8, November 10, 2006, with my unfiltered 28 Elmarit ASPH, and processed with my profiles to mitigate the magenta.

Handheld at 1/16 of a second, eating dinner close by with my M8 and making a quick grab shot, I knew I was going to love this system for unobtrusive photography :)

What I didn't know is that I would catch Guy's disease and spend all my money on M glass!! LOL!!

View attachment 68
Hi Jamie good to see you my friend. Welcome to another place to spend your time because none of us have any bloody money left to buy more glass. LOL

This disease thing is killing me. ROTFLMAO

Attachments

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I love you guys..... Where else can a two lenses at $4800 be considered a starter set!
LOL Well stay off the R forum because Woody has a nice 3 lens "starter set" for sale over there: 15 Elmar, 35-70 Elmarit, & 70-180 Elmarit (or the 105-280 if you prefer longer). That would get you going (broke!) fast. Only gap is you'd have to pick up a 19 or 28.

Terry

I did it. I am now the proud owner of a 28 'cron. I'm lazy and went for new and coded and gave up instant gratification and shipped it to save a tidy sum.

Guy, posted from my iPhone.

Guy Mancuso

ROTFLMAO . I had a feeling that 28 cron was pretty darn close to the grasp of your hands. LOL

You will love it , Terry. Many happy and rewarding images with it.

Iphone is cool is that not the (whatever the kids say). I can read , write and even admin the site from my Iphone, Beach trip. :D

The images are great too

jonoslack

I did it. I am now the proud owner of a 28 'cron. I'm lazy and went for new and coded and gave up instant gratification and shipped it to save a tidy sum.

Now you want us to buy a damned iPhone . . . . they go on sale over here tomorrow . . . should I queue up then?

as for the 28 'cron - I can resist, but that 24 elmarit of which you speak Terry is more difficult . . . . but my 25 zeiss does actually work, is actually sharp . . . .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

You chose wisely.

:),

Terry

Now you want us to buy a damned iPhone . . . . they go on sale over here tomorrow . . . should I queue up then?

as for the 28 'cron - I can resist, but that 24 elmarit of which you speak Terry is more difficult . . . . but my 25 zeiss does actually work, is actually sharp . . . .
Jono,
At an exchange rate of 2.10 you can fly over and pick it up for free. They still have it......:Dp

J

Jamie Roberts

Congrats on the 28 'cron, Terry!

It's the one M lens still calling me, but it's dialling collect and I can't accept the charges!! LOL!!

You know that joke won't even make sense in a year or two? Jono probably doesn't even make "collect calls"...

jonoslack

Jono,
At an exchange rate of 2.10 you can fly over and pick it up for free. They still have it......:Dp
Hi Terry - maybe they should have avatars on dpreview, save us all from embarrassing failures of memory!

As for flying over and picking it up for free . . . . you're probably right, but it's time that is of the essence here!

jonoslack

Congrats on the 28 'cron, Terry!

It's the one M lens still calling me, but it's dialling collect and I can't accept the charges!! LOL!!

You know that joke won't even make sense in a year or two? Jono probably doesn't even make "collect calls"...
Hi Jamie
I hope you're well - you're right, we don't have 'collect' calls here - there used to be reversed charge calls, but I'm not sure that they still exist. Still, I've read enough american literature to have laughed out loud!

I did a trade with Vieri, and ended up with a 50 1.5 sonnar - which I never needed and absolutely love, and a 25 f2.8 biogon - which is a less controversial and stellar performer, it's given me pause for thought with respect to lenses, the trouble being the hassle with mounts etc. The 25 is certainly good enough to stop me needing to rush out for the 24 elmarit.

J

Jamie Roberts

Hi Jamie
I hope you're well - you're right, we don't have 'collect' calls here - there used to be reversed charge calls, but I'm not sure that they still exist. Still, I've read enough american literature to have laughed out loud!

I did a trade with Vieri, and ended up with a 50 1.5 sonnar - which I never needed and absolutely love, and a 25 f2.8 biogon - which is a less controversial and stellar performer, it's given me pause for thought with respect to lenses, the trouble being the hassle with mounts etc. The 25 is certainly good enough to stop me needing to rush out for the 24 elmarit.
Hi Jono! Great to see you here ;)

That 50 1.5 is really intriguing, and I'd love to see more work from it. Since you have both the Nocti and the 1.5, how would you say they differ in character? (not including, of course, the extra stop).

The problem for me is the 28 speed. I have a CV 28 1.9 which is fast enough, but it doesn't have the same stuff as the 'cron wide open and--as you say--the mounts are a bit wonky for coding and so on.

Still, I should just bite the bullet and buy a Milich adapter for it.

I hear you on the 25 range too. I like my Elmarit 24, I really do, but I find I prefer the 21 FOV more often on the M8, and while the 24 is sharp as razor blades it's missing something I can't quite put my finger on... but it's another lens that needs to be coded, so when I get a little break in January it's off to Leica for the code.

Of course, I'm hanging on to both because I think we'll see a ff M digital someday :)

Guy Mancuso

Just a FYI . Leica just e-mailed me my 35 cron version IV is being sent back coded and focusing was eased up on it , It was a little stiff and maybe needed new grease. Have to say the service for me in NJ is unmatched. I know there has been issues for some folks but when they deliver they deliver.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jamie,
Camerquest now has the LTM 28/90 adapter II ($55) which can be sent to John Milich for coding. It doesn't have the cutouts that adapter I had (that prevented coding).

I have a Sonnar 50 1.5 and will finally be getting my Noctilux in my hands in about 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

jonoslack

Jono, Portfolio in your pocket:D

What service provider for UK
Got one - big queues all over the UK . . . I went to my local store 1/2 before launch time (6.02 pm) . . . . there was one person in the queue :)

so now I also have a portfolio in my pocket.

not sent from my iphone . . . .

woodyspedden

Just a FYI . Leica just e-mailed me my 35 cron version IV is being sent back coded and focusing was eased up on it , It was a little stiff and maybe needed new grease. Have to say the service for me in NJ is unmatched. I know there has been issues for some folks but when they deliver they deliver.
Guy

You are a serious asset for Leica and I am sure that your positivness about leica and your pro status makes all the differerence. I just sent back my black M8 for rangefinder focus issues and had Linda and Jim helping me. The written reply I got was 4-6 weeks which I find totally unacceptable. I can't compare to Nikon or Canon because I no longer shoot with their gear but I am with Roger Dunham that those of us who are not pros, or get some sort of special dispensation find the Leica US service a shambles. I built a company based on quality service for $3 Million systems to test semiconductor chips and if my service were like leica I would have sold my last system ever to Intel! No joke. Leica U S service is pathetic and I could quote many more specific examples. Only good thing is nobody dies as a result of what they do.

Woody

woodyspedden

You gotta watch Guy, he is very helpful in spending your money. At least you can be content in knowing you are getting good advice from him. He is right about the 28 Cron. It is on my list of gotta get lenses - to bad the list is bigger than my toy fund.
Hey Mark

There is no question that the 28 cron is the lenscap for the M8. I have had mine for about 9 months now and would not be caught dead without it. FOV is just right and the sharpness and bokeh just outstanding. Get rid of all your 35's and get the 28. You will never be sorry. Sorry Terry about spending so much of your money but you can save elsewhere. A 15, 21, 28, 50 and then either 75 lux or 90 APO cron (depending on what you love to shoot) completes the deal. Until there is enough disposable cash for that whole lot, the 15, 28, and 75 will get 95% of the shots.

Just MHO

Woody Spedden