The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kudos to Leica!

I send in my M9 to Leica New Jersey to have them adjust the rangefinder which was front focusing ! They told me to send it in with a few lenses and they would adjust them to the camera . I send my 50 LUX and 35FLE after 3 weeks I got the camera and lenses back , the replaced the Sensor, circuit board ,adjust the rangefinder and a few other things . They fixed the rattling of the shutterblades on the 35 FLE , lubed the lenses everything works like new and it as sharp as can be.
The camera was out of warranty , the service was free!
Kudos to Leica for taking care of this .

I'm getting a similar deal.

I bought an M9 with an unrecognisable SD card, after the seller updated to the latest firmware.

The Australian accredited Leica repair place contacted Leica Australia (then they contacted Leica AG). When the parts arrive, I am to get a new mainboard/sensor/rear screen/SD card unit when it arrives from Germany and the repair will be free. Again, the camera was out of warranty.

Exceptional after-sales service from Leica !!

seakayaker

My M9 went to Leica NJ in September, received word that they would replace sensor with an estimated late October completion of work. New word came in last week, that sensors were back ordered and next estimate will be January at earliest.

asiafish

My M9 went to Leica NJ in September, received word that they would replace sensor with an estimated late October completion of work. New word came in last week, that sensors were back ordered and next estimate will be January at earliest.
Did they at least give you a loaner?

Duane Pandorf

That is not good.

Knorp

I'm very sorry for you, guys.
Notwithstanding Leica's good intentions, this still sucks.

All the best.

Duane Pandorf

After thinking on Seakayaker's situation it would appear to me that Leica is moving more and more away from the CCD format and hoping M8 and M9 owners will upgrade to the M. We already know that they can no longer repair the M8's LCD.

The telltale sign will be when the M-E model is discontinued.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
That is terrible news, Dan. Mine has been sent to Germany, too. I'm not sure what they are doing to mine. It has been gone since Oct. 2, and I am really missing it. I have not received any update on mine, yet.

Good luck, Dan and lenticularis.

seakayaker

Did they at least give you a loaner?
No, it was not offered and I did not ask.

That is not good.
You are correct it is not a situation where the time to service a camera leaves a good feeling with the buyer. There have been a lot of M9 sensors being replaced. I know I was extremely happy to hear that Leica was replacing it but not having sensors in stock to make the repair in a timely fashion is an irratant.

With that said, I do love the M9 and plan to use it for many years to come when it is back in my hands.

In the meantime I have been shooting some 35mm and 220 film along with my Pentax K5IIs.

I do not make a living from photography so this is more of an inconvenience and I can not spend to much time worrying about the outcome. I am confident that in time it will all work out.

Life is Grand!

Dan

asiafish

No, it was not offered and I did not ask.

You are correct it is not a situation where the time to service a camera leaves a good feeling with the buyer. There have been a lot of M9 sensors being replaced. I know I was extremely happy to hear that Leica was replacing it but not having sensors in stock to make the repair in a timely fashion is an irratant.

With that said, I do love the M9 and plan to use it for many years to come when it is back in my hands.

In the meantime I have been shooting some 35mm and 220 film along with my Pentax K5IIs.

I do not make a living from photography so this is more of an inconvenience and I can not spend to much time worrying about the outcome. I am confident that in time it will all work out.

Life is Grand!

Dan
They will sort it out in the end. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

Hi,
Dont get me wrong, I really like Leica.
But, when you consider the price and a high build quality meant to last for many years, what good does that do if they won't have parts for repair after 3-4 years and are possibly steering folks away from the M9 and towards the M(240)
I have had a long bonding life with my film Leicas but fear I'll never get to keep the M9 for more then just a few years. I don't want to "move up" every few years and don't have the money to do so.
Just worried I guess.
Robert

asiafish

My guess is that they are just backordered on the sensors, but as the ME remains a current item, they will make more and continue to make them even after the ME is discontinued.

With the M8 it is only the LCD that cannot be serviced, and Leica has made good one most by offering a much discounted upgrade to M9 in cases where an M8 cannot be serviced. Nothing lasts forever, but by the number of M8s still out there being bought, sold and more importantly used, I think Leica is at least as likely to last as a high end Sony, Canon or Nikon.

woodleica

What is the problem with the sensor? Hopefully Dan can get his back soon.

I never had an issue with my M9 but Leica fixed my M8 after it was out of warranty free of charge so I've had a great experience with Leica NJ as well.

Duane Pandorf

I will be sending my ME in for a second time in a year due to a bad pixel and vertical sensor array that's not working which leaves a thin vertical white line down the image when shooting at higher ISO. I believe it is being caused by the amount I'm in the air with it as in the manual it actually says cosmic radiation can effect the sensor.

I've already contacted NJ and they said it would be a 2-3 week turnaround. I'll send it in after the holidays.

vjr

My just out of warranty hardy ever use Summarit 2.5/75 that developed embarrassing wobble cost me $240 to be adjusted, kudos to Leica, not.

Fife

My just out of warranty hardy ever use Summarit 2.5/75 that developed embarrassing wobble cost me $240 to be adjusted, kudos to Leica, not.
Ouch, I just sent my wobbly lens in. Hope I get it back soon.