Site Sponsors

Thread: Kudos to Leica!

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to Leica!

I send in my M9 to Leica New Jersey to have them adjust the rangefinder which was front focusing ! They told me to send it in with a few lenses and they would adjust them to the camera . I send my 50 LUX and 35FLE after 3 weeks I got the camera and lenses back , the replaced the Sensor, circuit board ,adjust the rangefinder and a few other things . They fixed the rattling of the shutterblades on the 35 FLE , lubed the lenses everything works like new and it as sharp as can be.
    The camera was out of warranty , the service was free!
    Kudos to Leica for taking care of this .
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kudos to Leica!

Holly Toledo! I call that incredible service!
    Duane Pandorf
    -----------------
    Blog | Portfolio |

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting a similar deal.

I bought an M9 with an unrecognisable SD card, after the seller updated to the latest firmware.

The Australian accredited Leica repair place contacted Leica Australia (then they contacted Leica AG). When the parts arrive, I am to get a new mainboard/sensor/rear screen/SD card unit when it arrives from Germany and the repair will be free. Again, the camera was out of warranty.

Exceptional after-sales service from Leica !!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

still waiting - Leica say they are having QA probs with the new supplier of the mainboard/sensor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My M9 went to Leica NJ in September, received word that they would replace sensor with an estimated late October completion of work. New word came in last week, that sensors were back ordered and next estimate will be January at earliest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    My M9 went to Leica NJ in September, received word that they would replace sensor with an estimated late October completion of work. New word came in last week, that sensors were back ordered and next estimate will be January at earliest.
    Did they at least give you a loaner?
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain

Post Thanks / Like

That is not good.
    Duane Pandorf
    -----------------
    Blog | Portfolio |

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sorry for you, guys.
    Notwithstanding Leica's good intentions, this still sucks.

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

After thinking on Seakayaker's situation it would appear to me that Leica is moving more and more away from the CCD format and hoping M8 and M9 owners will upgrade to the M. We already know that they can no longer repair the M8's LCD.

The telltale sign will be when the M-E model is discontinued.
    Duane Pandorf
    -----------------
    Blog | Portfolio |

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pandorf View Post
    ...The telltale sign will be when the M-E model is discontinued.
    Yeah, that would be a bad sign indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is terrible news, Dan. Mine has been sent to Germany, too. I'm not sure what they are doing to mine. It has been gone since Oct. 2, and I am really missing it. I have not received any update on mine, yet.

Good luck, Dan and lenticularis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got an email that said that mine has shipped and will be back home Monday! Thank you, Leica!
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asiafish View Post
    Did they at least give you a loaner?
    No, it was not offered and I did not ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pandorf View Post
    That is not good.
    You are correct it is not a situation where the time to service a camera leaves a good feeling with the buyer. There have been a lot of M9 sensors being replaced. I know I was extremely happy to hear that Leica was replacing it but not having sensors in stock to make the repair in a timely fashion is an irratant.

With that said, I do love the M9 and plan to use it for many years to come when it is back in my hands.

In the meantime I have been shooting some 35mm and 220 film along with my Pentax K5IIs.

I do not make a living from photography so this is more of an inconvenience and I can not spend to much time worrying about the outcome. I am confident that in time it will all work out.

Life is Grand!

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

No, it was not offered and I did not ask.

You are correct it is not a situation where the time to service a camera leaves a good feeling with the buyer. There have been a lot of M9 sensors being replaced. I know I was extremely happy to hear that Leica was replacing it but not having sensors in stock to make the repair in a timely fashion is an irratant.

With that said, I do love the M9 and plan to use it for many years to come when it is back in my hands.

In the meantime I have been shooting some 35mm and 220 film along with my Pentax K5IIs.

I do not make a living from photography so this is more of an inconvenience and I can not spend to much time worrying about the outcome. I am confident that in time it will all work out.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    They will sort it out in the end. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Dont get me wrong, I really like Leica.
    But, when you consider the price and a high build quality meant to last for many years, what good does that do if they won't have parts for repair after 3-4 years and are possibly steering folks away from the M9 and towards the M(240)
    I have had a long bonding life with my film Leicas but fear I'll never get to keep the M9 for more then just a few years. I don't want to "move up" every few years and don't have the money to do so.
    Just worried I guess.
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that they are just backordered on the sensors, but as the ME remains a current item, they will make more and continue to make them even after the ME is discontinued.

With the M8 it is only the LCD that cannot be serviced, and Leica has made good one most by offering a much discounted upgrade to M9 in cases where an M8 cannot be serviced. Nothing lasts forever, but by the number of M8s still out there being bought, sold and more importantly used, I think Leica is at least as likely to last as a high end Sony, Canon or Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the problem with the sensor? Hopefully Dan can get his back soon.

I never had an issue with my M9 but Leica fixed my M8 after it was out of warranty free of charge so I've had a great experience with Leica NJ as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be sending my ME in for a second time in a year due to a bad pixel and vertical sensor array that's not working which leaves a thin vertical white line down the image when shooting at higher ISO. I believe it is being caused by the amount I'm in the air with it as in the manual it actually says cosmic radiation can effect the sensor.

I've already contacted NJ and they said it would be a 2-3 week turnaround. I'll send it in after the holidays.
    Duane Pandorf
    -----------------
    Blog | Portfolio |

Post Thanks / Like

My just out of warranty hardy ever use Summarit 2.5/75 that developed embarrassing wobble cost me $240 to be adjusted, kudos to Leica, not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjr View Post
    My just out of warranty hardy ever use Summarit 2.5/75 that developed embarrassing wobble cost me $240 to be adjusted, kudos to Leica, not.
    Ouch, I just sent my wobbly lens in. Hope I get it back soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fife View Post
    Ouch, I just sent my wobbly lens in. Hope I get it back soon.
    Please let us know the outcome of your lenses' repair (time taken and the cost) Good luck, vjr.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I did receive my M9 back from Leica NJ in December with a statement that they resolved the issue by cleaning the sensor.

I have continued to use the M9 and spots still appear when I use it which I manage in post processing. I love the M9 and will use it until it can no longer function.

Why some folks get sensor replaced while others do not, never mind the clear miscommunication between Leica in New Jersey and my camera dealer clearly leaves me dissatisfied.

My experience with Leica is such that I am very leery to move forward with any additional Leica product purchases.

I did plan on purchasing a Monochrome at one point, and still would like one, but I always need to feel comfortable with a company and at the moment their service inconsistencies is enough to put me off from making a $8000.00 purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my experience

I send my M9 to Leica S'pore back in Dec 13 for them to check and clean the sensor. After the cleaning they confirm that the sensor need to be replaced due to fungus, waiting time is 3 months and finally got it replaced by mid March.

Funny is with a new sensor, when shot blue sky at F8 I do spot a few dots, so wondering what it is, dust or oil. Never the less, Leica S'pore ask me to bring in for them to take a look again.

Quite satisfy with the service of free replacement of sensor thou.
    Last edited by Quan; 16th April 2014 at 18:43.

Post Thanks / Like

I did receive my M9 back from Leica NJ in December with a statement that they resolved the issue by cleaning the sensor.

I have continued to use the M9 and spots still appear when I use it which I manage in post processing. I love the M9 and will use it until it can no longer function.

Why some folks get sensor replaced while others do not, never mind the clear miscommunication between Leica in New Jersey and my camera dealer clearly leaves me dissatisfied.
    Dust is something that happens with a digital camera so I don't know why you would want the sensor replacing when cleaning it (a user task as part of regular maintenance) is the solution? A new sensor isn't going to stop dust getting into the camera. Removing dust spots in post processing only goes so far, usually until there is either so much of it, or it appears in an area that is impossible to spot out, like a facial detail etc. Then people get out the cleaning tools and clean the sensor.

Steve