Site Sponsors

Thread: 80mm Summilux on the M

Post Thanks / Like

80mm Summilux on the M

Anyone tried using the 80mm Summilux on their M 240? If I remember right, the 80 and the 75 Summilux are similar in design so it should perform almost the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 80mm Summilux on the M

Well I have had the lens for years, an absolutely fabulous Mandler classic, and now have my M240, all I need is the R to M adapter

The 80 Lux is a wonderful lens, I think it was the last design by Dr. Walter Mandler and is pretty much the same configuration as the 75 Lux.

Being designed not long after the 75, it certainly has all the performance of that design, with maybe some new modifications. Both are superb lenses.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if there is any difference between the old 3 CAM version as compare to the newer ROM version?

I am thinking about using this lens with the M 240 with an adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Optically there is no difference, physically the ROM connectors can get in the way of some adapters, I wouldn't expect that to be true with the Leica M to R adapter.

I have spoken to Leica technical support, and they say they see no future use for the ROM connectors....I'm not sure why people are prepared to pay more for a ROM lens.

Post Thanks / Like

The 80 Lux is a wonderful lens...still kicking myself for selling mine. As far as I know there is no optical difference between the 3 cam and ROM lenses. I have an R8 so a ROM lens has a bit of value, but I think the primary reason the ROM lenses cost more is that there is an assumption that they will be newer and therefore in the best shape and offer all the enhancements that Leica made during the life of the model (if any).

Post Thanks / Like

On the topic of newer lens, how big a deal is a lens with slight haze inside?

What is the going price for the 80mm Summilux R in excellent condition with excellent (no haze, scratch, mark, fungus) but might have a little dust.
    Last edited by VINCET; 4th September 2013 at 11:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CVickery View Post
    ... I think the primary reason the ROM lenses cost more is that there is an assumption that they will be newer and therefore in the best shape and offer all the enhancements that Leica made during the life of the model (if any).
    The assumption is unreliable because it was possible to add the ROM contacts to an older lens, or to remove the ROM contacts and convert to 3-cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Not the best camera to show off the 80 Lux image quality, however it does show the "look" of the lens.
    Here is a shot using a Canon 40D, with the lens shot wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I own one, and can't use it. No M 240, and I have not converted it to F Mount for Nikon YET. I have considered selling it and I might yet. It's a sweet looking lens. To nice to sit here unused. My incentive to keep it is decreased by my owning a 75 APO Cron. 5 mm away from each other, is to close. Yes, 1.4 is faster than 2.0, but I am ok with 2.0 speed. But that's a subject for another thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Incidentally, the 75mm lux focuses 5cm closer than the 80mm lux.
    My Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For further information, the Novoflex adapters now come 6 bit coded and as such when using them on the M bring up the list of R lenses. Finally some progress.

I decided to get one instead of waiting any longer since handling the Leica one at Photokina over 355 days ago! Will have the Novoflex on the 10th of September.

Post Thanks / Like

The Leica ones begin shipping next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Really looking forward to the adapter being available, very much like the M240 but the ability to use those R lenses is very exciting

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a big difference between the Leica or Novoflex adapter and a $40 adapter from Kipon besides the 6 bit code, and maybe a bit of quality?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    For further information, the Novoflex adapters now come 6 bit coded and as such when using them on the M bring up the list of R lenses. Finally some progress.

I decided to get one instead of waiting any longer since handling the Leica one at Photokina over 355 days ago! Will have the Novoflex on the 10th of September.
    I thought one of the reasons Voigtlander and Zeiss M mount lenses cannot be supplied with 6 bit coding is that Leica retains legal rights ....so I wonder how Novoflex got around this?

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VINCET View Post
    Do you know if there is any difference between the old 3 CAM version as compare to the newer ROM version?

I am thinking about using this lens with the M 240 with an adapter.
    The only optical difference is in the coatings applied to the lens elements. I have one of the older Leitz-branded lenses and the coatings are cooler in color than the newer Leica-branded models. The coatings affect the image color to a small degree, but it's nothing that cannot be easily corrected.

-J.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is there a big difference between the Leica or Novoflex adapter and a $40 adapter from Kipon besides the 6 bit code, and maybe a bit of quality?
    None in connecting the lens, but the Novoflex one is superbly stable. And coded. And available.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    We've heard this for over 6 months. How positive are you about that "next week" comment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, you get what you pay for. I do not believe the materials are the same in both.

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw this on Ebay, 6 Bit R to M Leica LR to LM Adapter for New Leica M M240 Type 240 M6 M7 M8 M9 | eBay Basically, R to M adapter with 6 bit coding too. Materials and tolerance are not on par with Novoflex and Leica but it is 1/5 of the cost. I only wished they have one with the tripod mount on the adapter like the Leica.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you want one I have one never used for $30. from this guy. The coding looks good, but I never used it as I got the Novoflex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure about the rest of you, but with the weight of most Leica R glass, I'd certainly want that tripod foot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know this is not what you are asking, but as someone who has both the 75mm summilux and summicron, and used to have the 80mm summilux, the 75/2 summicron is in my opinion by far better to use on the more recent digital bodies. This is not just resolution, but also focus shift and chromatic aberration, both of which are fairly significant problems in the 75mm summilux at wider apertures (and presumably on the 80...I only used that on film). The summiluxes are great lenses, but I found that in practice I was always reaching for the summicron -- it's lighter, smaller, sharper but most importantly, it provides a similar image character while only improving the image quality.
    I know some might disagree with this, and some seek out the summilux for its "flaws", and fair enough, but I was a huge admirer of the summilux's look on film, especially from 1.4-2.5, but on digital it tended to just look bad to my eyes.

If you are just looking for a good lens with character in this range (all the 75's seem to have good character), I would put that money towards a summicron, or one of the voigtlander 75mm lenses...as native M mount lenses, they will be smaller, rangefinder coupled and infinitely more practical than mounting a large SLR lens on your M.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P.S. One of those cheaper adapters messed up the mount on my S2...and mine was a metabones V series adapter for 250 USD...I would suggest you don't muck around with cheap adapters...they can scratch up your lens mounts, get stuck on the camera and provide inferior results...but again, just my take on it.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I know this is not what you are asking, but as someone who has both the 75mm summilux and summicron, and used to have the 80mm summilux, the 75/2 summicron is in my opinion by far better to use on the more recent digital bodies. This is not just resolution, but also focus shift and chromatic aberration, both of which are fairly significant problems in the 75mm summilux at wider apertures (and presumably on the 80...I only used that on film). The summiluxes are great lenses, but I found that in practice I was always reaching for the summicron -- it's lighter, smaller, sharper but most importantly, it provides a similar image character while only improving the image quality.
    I know some might disagree with this, and some seek out the summilux for its "flaws", and fair enough, but I was a huge admirer of the summilux's look on film, especially from 1.4-2.5, but on digital it tended to just look bad to my eyes.

If you are just looking for a good lens with character in this range (all the 75's seem to have good character), I would put that money towards a summicron, or one of the voigtlander 75mm lenses...as native M mount lenses, they will be smaller, rangefinder coupled and infinitely more practical than mounting a large SLR lens on your M.
    Stuart,
    having used alll the lenses mentioned above I agree with you, and I am happy that finally I am not alone anymore prefering the Summicron over the Summilux 75. I am also one of those who resist do using anything but rangefinder-coupled lenses on the M because thats how I prefer to use the camera (with the optical viewfinder and rangefinder) If I still had R-lenses I would happyly use them but I dont see much other reason to use R-lenses or others in the focal range where one can get rangefinder coupled lenses (18-135mm)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree -- if you already have a lens, by all means use it, but if you are going to seek out a lens and pay good money for it to use on an M camera, getting a rangefinder specific lens is a much better idea -- optically they tend to be better in most cases, they are smaller, lighter and have added function.

As for the summicron vs. summilux, it is a very long-standing and personal debate. I was a vehement supporter of the summilux for a long time, but I decided to try the summicron. I did a blind test of the images at a few different apertures. I took two images of the same scene with both lenses, labeled them, and set them aside for a few days until I forgot which was which. I could barely tell them apart, outside 1.4 to 2.5. When I looked closer the summicron had a similar macroscopic look and feel to the summilux (they are both Leica 75mm lenses after all), but on closer inspection the summicron files were sharper, perfectly consistent in their focus point and had no noticeable chromatic aberration or bokeh fringing. The summilux was softer, had lots of bokeh fringing wide open, and the focus point jumped around a bit.
    Don't get me wrong, it is still a great lens with beautiful character, but if you don't already have one, I would strongly recommend the summicron for digital use. For film, the summilux is just as good...any difference in performance is usually masked by the film grain, and the focus shifting is not really pronounced due to the curvature of the film.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I agree -- if you already have a lens, by all means use it, but if you are going to seek out a lens and pay good money for it to use on an M camera, getting a rangefinder specific lens is a much better idea -- optically they tend to be better in most cases, they are smaller, lighter and have added function.

As for the summicron vs. summilux, it is a very long-standing and personal debate. I was a vehement supporter of the summilux for a long time, but I decided to try the summicron. I did a blind test of the images at a few different apertures. I took two images of the same scene with both lenses, labeled them, and set them aside for a few days until I forgot which was which. I could barely tell them apart, outside 1.4 to 2.5. When I looked closer the summicron had a similar macroscopic look and feel to the summilux (they are both Leica 75mm lenses after all), but on closer inspection the summicron files were sharper, perfectly consistent in their focus point and had no noticeable chromatic aberration or bokeh fringing. The summilux was softer, had lots of bokeh fringing wide open, and the focus point jumped around a bit.
    Don't get me wrong, it is still a great lens with beautiful character, but if you don't already have one, I would strongly recommend the summicron for digital use. For film, the summilux is just as good...any difference in performance is usually masked by the film grain, and the focus shifting is not really pronounced due to the curvature of the film.
    I agree completely, the 75 Cron Apo is a nice way to go for it's compactness in typical rangefinder shooting, and of course it's superb image quality.
    I have tried the 75 Lux on a M9 body and found it very difficult to focus accurately....was never that comfortable using the Lux.

The 80 Lux on a SLR body is a joy to use, one of those dual performance lenses that people love.....sharp with beautiful colour stopped down from 2.8 onwards, and soft and dreamy when opening up.

The 80 Lux lens wide open performs very similarly to the classic Zeiss 110mm F:2.0 for medium format.......a very desirable look, something the 75 Cron just can't duplicate IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    Not sure about the rest of you, but with the weight of most Leica R glass, I'd certainly want that tripod foot.
    Keep in mind most of the longer and longer zooms have built in tripod mounts and on shooter 100/2.8 and 180/2.8 the STA-1 is the perfect addition making using them a breeze.