The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

80mm Summilux on the M

VINCET

Anyone tried using the 80mm Summilux on their M 240? If I remember right, the 80 and the 75 Summilux are similar in design so it should perform almost the same?

Seascape

Well I have had the lens for years, an absolutely fabulous Mandler classic, and now have my M240, all I need is the R to M adapter :confused:

The 80 Lux is a wonderful lens, I think it was the last design by Dr. Walter Mandler and is pretty much the same configuration as the 75 Lux.

Being designed not long after the 75, it certainly has all the performance of that design, with maybe some new modifications. Both are superb lenses.

VINCET

Do you know if there is any difference between the old 3 CAM version as compare to the newer ROM version?

I am thinking about using this lens with the M 240 with an adapter.

Seascape

Optically there is no difference, physically the ROM connectors can get in the way of some adapters, I wouldn't expect that to be true with the Leica M to R adapter.

I have spoken to Leica technical support, and they say they see no future use for the ROM connectors....I'm not sure why people are prepared to pay more for a ROM lens.

CVickery

The 80 Lux is a wonderful lens...still kicking myself for selling mine. As far as I know there is no optical difference between the 3 cam and ROM lenses. I have an R8 so a ROM lens has a bit of value, but I think the primary reason the ROM lenses cost more is that there is an assumption that they will be newer and therefore in the best shape and offer all the enhancements that Leica made during the life of the model (if any).

VINCET

On the topic of newer lens, how big a deal is a lens with slight haze inside?

What is the going price for the 80mm Summilux R in excellent condition with excellent (no haze, scratch, mark, fungus) but might have a little dust.

Last edited:

doug

... I think the primary reason the ROM lenses cost more is that there is an assumption that they will be newer and therefore in the best shape and offer all the enhancements that Leica made during the life of the model (if any).
The assumption is unreliable because it was possible to add the ROM contacts to an older lens, or to remove the ROM contacts and convert to 3-cam.

Seascape

Not the best camera to show off the 80 Lux image quality, however it does show the "look" of the lens.
Here is a shot using a Canon 40D, with the lens shot wide open.

Photojazz

Well, I own one, and can't use it. No M 240, and I have not converted it to F Mount for Nikon YET. I have considered selling it and I might yet. It's a sweet looking lens. To nice to sit here unused. My incentive to keep it is decreased by my owning a 75 APO Cron. 5 mm away from each other, is to close. Yes, 1.4 is faster than 2.0, but I am ok with 2.0 speed. But that's a subject for another thread.

algrove

For further information, the Novoflex adapters now come 6 bit coded and as such when using them on the M bring up the list of R lenses. Finally some progress.

I decided to get one instead of waiting any longer since handling the Leica one at Photokina over 355 days ago! Will have the Novoflex on the 10th of September.

VINCET

Is there a big difference between the Leica or Novoflex adapter and a $40 adapter from Kipon besides the 6 bit code, and maybe a bit of quality?

D&A

For further information, the Novoflex adapters now come 6 bit coded and as such when using them on the M bring up the list of R lenses. Finally some progress.

I decided to get one instead of waiting any longer since handling the Leica one at Photokina over 355 days ago! Will have the Novoflex on the 10th of September.
I thought one of the reasons Voigtlander and Zeiss M mount lenses cannot be supplied with 6 bit coding is that Leica retains legal rights ....so I wonder how Novoflex got around this?

Dave (D&A)

j. white

Do you know if there is any difference between the old 3 CAM version as compare to the newer ROM version?

I am thinking about using this lens with the M 240 with an adapter.
The only optical difference is in the coatings applied to the lens elements. I have one of the older Leitz-branded lenses and the coatings are cooler in color than the newer Leica-branded models. The coatings affect the image color to a small degree, but it's nothing that cannot be easily corrected.

-J.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Is there a big difference between the Leica or Novoflex adapter and a $40 adapter from Kipon besides the 6 bit code, and maybe a bit of quality?
None in connecting the lens, but the Novoflex one is superbly stable. And coded. And available.

algrove

Yes, you get what you pay for. I do not believe the materials are the same in both.