The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R 21-35

Jeffg53

Continuing on the same thread as the 28-90, I have now discovered the 21-35 which Mr Puts regards very highly. Is this in the same league as the 28-90? My ageing body would be ecstatic if I only had 4 lenses - the 2 zooms, 50 Cron and 100 to carry around.

In hunting, I found Tim's Photo http://timsphotocanada.com/index.html which I have never heard of. Does anyone know of him?

Paratom

IMO they "Just" would have to downsize the S, make it accept R lenses and add some new AF lenses in the future. I love the S if it only was a bit smaller/the lenses were a bit smaller (and the prices to be somewhat smaller).

Jeff, I once had a 21-35 with my DMR but in the end my prefered combo was to carry 19mm and the 28-90.
With the 21-35 I also found it was not so easy to focus on the R9 (probably not a problem with life view/ EVF)
The focal length range of the 21-35 is very usefull IMO and the lens is pretty compact for what it is.
But frienkly I would want to give up my 21/3.4 M lens - it is just soo good.
I think the zooms will serve you well, but I am also sure if we meet again in 2 years you will also have some nice M-lenses.

Jeffg53

I'm starting to think that the 19 and 28-90 would be an excellent combo. There is probably too much overlap with the zoom. I don't use wides often but like to have one for occasional use.

I am rapidly approaching the point where I say that Leica is just too hard. The only way that I can even get my hands on one is to fly 1000KM to a trade show where I may be allowed to use it for an hour or so. What I think that I need is a couple of days with an M with RRS L Plate, EVF and R adapter.Then I might be able to say whether it's for me or not.

Using an M for what I do is different. I may be quite happy with that but I won't know till I can try it for myself. I recently spent two weeks in Iceland with a friend who was shooting with an M240. He has years of experience with both M and S and his advice is that I really need to try it first.

mmbma

I have the M and had the S system. You will love both of them for what they are. The M is excellent but they are not suitable for landscape especially when you need to print really large. Also does not offer the same dynamic range of the S.

S is a compromise between Image quality and usability. it will be the most versitile medium format for those who find a tech camera or a Hassey/Phase with digital back unwieldy in field situations.

I still think a couple of M prime lenses will be better than two R zooms. Mush smaller and usable on the street. If you want a compact landscape set up, get the Sigma Dp 1 2 3 and you are ALL SET. The image quality of those will be much better than you would get from a Leica M

thrice

I think the M is quite suitable for landscape up to 20x30" prints. If you have a pano head you can stitch very quickly due to the weight and hyperfocal settings.
Hiking with an M is an absolute dream after using a DSLR.

Different strokes for different folks of course.
Some M9 shots..

Jeffg53

One thing is for sure, and that is that I won't be buying an S. I don't print beyond A2 for 99.999% of the time so I think an M is quite usable. I have decided against the 21-35 and bought a 19. That make my collection 19, 28-90, 100 APO and a 50 Cron for good luck. I think that I will get the Zeiss 135 and die happy.

I've all but given up on the M. Without the background and experience with other Ms, and the impossibility of getting my hands on one, I will be buying a D800E or whatever Sony finally announces.

D&A

Daniel, you should be prohibited from posting such images if not outright banned....well um, at least not so many spectacular posted ones all at one time. :thumbs:

Dave (D&A)