Site Sponsors

Thread: M8.2 File Numbering error

Post Thanks / Like

M8.2 File Numbering error

I've been shooting with an M8.2 for a few weeks. I was out in Central Park over the weekend, in the cold, and I noticed when I got back that after I had changed cards and the battery that there were duplicate file numbers on each card. The images were different, but about 15 images on card #2 had the same number as the last 15 images on card #1. This is troublesome when you're importing because you may accidentally overwrite the files. Has anyone else seen this issue? I'm blaming it on cold weather and a battery that quit very quickly while I was shooting a series of exposures. All of the images came through but the numbering got screwy.

Thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M8.2 File Numbering error

I have an M8 Classic and when I applied the last 2.xx FW updates, my camera started numbering again from 001 - twice (once for each update).
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

I was out in the Central Park last friday....pretty darn cold for someone from Florida!.. I had 3 different sd cards fail and the dreaded card is locked message . This was only on my m8.2 but not on the other M8 . Both cameras were on the 2.xx latest version. Two cards were Transcend 2gb and 4gb and the other was a new Lexar 4gb sdhc card....none of these cards had given me any problem in the past. I put in a new card and reformated ...worked fine...no change with the battery.

I plan to reload the software and establish a new starting number for each camera.

I think there are bugs in the new software .

Post Thanks / Like

Jeffrey, the file renumbering bug appeared in firmware 2.0 and has been with us since. The workaround is to format the card in the camera before taking a photo. If you format with a computer then immediately start shooting, your counter will reset. I have no idea why this should be, as the camera does not write any special files to that card, aside from the usual DCIM:XXXLeica folders.