The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica MM

Best ever digital M

• Leica M8

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Leica M9/p

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Leica MM

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Leica M (240)

Votes: 25 27.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I own all of them, yet I find myself unable to answer this poll. Each them is great in its own way and we are lucky to be able to use one or more of them.
Define best please...:(

fotografz

Didn't get to vote, but in 3 words, yes it is...
Glad you revived this thread.

Here it is 2014. Still shoot with my M Monochrome. Added a "Thumbs-Up" to the camera to facilitate more effective use of the larger M50/0.95 and M21/1.4ASPH lenses, and added a 75AA to the MM bag.

Tried a M240 demo for two weeks. Terrific camera. Too much stuff I have no need for. Subjectively wasn't all that impressed with the color rendering for my tastes. Too many other cameras to select from for color work, and still none to select from for direct B&W 35mm work.

Rather than the "Best M Ever", perhaps the selector is most faithful to Leica's long and storied past in B&W photography? Subjectively and emotionally, I feel this camera has the most direct connection to that heritage … and my own long term bias toward B&W imagery over color for the type of photography I have always used a M Rangefinder for.

In that sense, it is without a doubt in my mind the best M ever.

Will there be a better one? Perhaps, however it would be a hard sell to me. The MM does everything I desire in a B&W RF camera.

Obviously improvements in framing, buffer, and the LCD of the M(240) would be of value to many, however those are all incidentials to me as I am used to the framing from Ms all the way back to a M4, never shoot bursts of images that require a buffer and have never hit the MM's limit, and only use the LCD to swiftly see if I caught the "decisive moment" I was striving for before moving on. Half the time I don't look at it at all. Never did with my film Ms either :ROTFL:

- Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
best thing about the monochrome...it shoots black and white. no trying to decide if your image should be processed in color or b/w