M8

M9

MM

M(240)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica MM

MM and M type240
    If I had to choose just one: M type 240; the MM feels more "classic" but the "M" can do both color and B&W - I would not like be bound to just B&W allways and everywhere

Post Thanks / Like

I decided not to get the M240 because I want to keep my Mono.. if that makes any sense. I knew I'll probably sell the Mono if I got the new M.....which I don't want to do!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

In the end I find all 4 cameras great and if there were no MM, new M, or M9 I would be happy with a M8 as well.
    I have to say the MM is something special different from most other digital cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    I decided not to get the M240 because I want to keep my Mono.. if that makes any sense. I knew I'll probably sell the Mono if I got the new M.....which I don't want to do!
    Actually, I want to buy another MM as a back up. I don't know when but it will happen. I have never been so taken with a camera like this one, despite its atrocious price.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard choice. The M240 improves on the M9/p in several ways, but also adds a bit of cruft that I have very little interest in. Without eyeglasses, I can't read the extra menu options and live view anyway and part of why I like the M9/p is that I don't need glasses to shoot (I use a Walter Eyepiece).

I only choose the M9/p over the MM because it can shoot color and B&W, though from a technical standpoint, the MM sensor/ouput is "better" (sharpness and ISO)... And I enjoy color as much as B&W. Though I would totally dig an MM, no doubt!

Truth be told, I still like my M8, even with some of the issues (UV/IR filters, even lower ISO capability and some ergonomic issues that the M9 resolved). Heck, it does 1/8000s which none of the other bodies do - and if you like to shoot the Noctilux wide open, every bit helps (sans ND anyway). It certainly had glorious output, much like the M9/p. I'm a CCD fan. Sue me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Actually, I want to buy another MM as a back up.
    Ditto!

I sold the M240 and have really been enjoying the Monochrom. The thought of getting another has crossed my mind. I'd have to sell the Summiluxes though to fund it and that ain't happening!

Post Thanks / Like

Different horses for different courses, there's no right answer to 'best' ... now if you had asked what was the most special M ... then I would have to say the Monochrom.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Semantics. I hope the spirit of the enquiry is there.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know any other M than my monochrom, but color leaves me cold and I can't think of a photograph I can't take with the MM.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I've only used the M240 for about an hour--not enough time for a good assessment--but because it is different than the previous digital M's, it didn't feel comfortable. One of the reasons I moved to Leica was it's simplicity, and the M240 didn't feel simple. I'm assuming with more time with the camera and I would get very comfortable with it. The images being made with it are incredible!

I've been using the Monochrom for about two months now and it is fantastic! The detail in the files seem endless at times. Perhaps the odd one, but I've enjoyed not having to choose between color or b&w--I've spent too much time going back and forth, processing in color and then converting to monochrome--I really like having that choice already made for me. With the MM the biggest challenge for me has been the post-processing and getting to a "look" I like, which I guess is the case with any camera really.

I never thought I'd part with my M9, but I haven't missed it in the least since getting the MM. I do have an M8.2 which was recently CLA'd by Leica and is now my color-only camera. As has been mentioned, the files from the M8.2 at base ISO are pretty awesome, better than the M9 I'd say.

The best ever digital M? It's sitting in Leica's R&D right now!

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I agree, my M8 files are excellent, I really don't see a great advantage to buying a M9.
    However my M240 files are absolutely stunning, frankly after reading so many reviews that state at base ISO there is very little difference between the M9 and M240, I am blown away by the M240 output. In my experience the M240 files are dramatically better than M9 files.

With that said and with limited exposure to the MM, I would say the design improvements of the M240 body are significant, and a MM based on the new body would be a dream camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought for sure that I'd be the only M8 vote, but there are others out there

Joel

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm curious to see... If Leica comes up with a new MM based more on the M240/CMOS platform - or if it was really just a one-off.

Being that the M9 is my favorite, I better get an MM (which is based on it) while I can!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Voted for the M9.

I owned the M8.2 and currently own an M9. Both are great cameras and enjoy the photographs from both models.

Voted for the one that I came to the dance with.

Post Thanks / Like

I've no doubt the MM excels when used for B&W work but it sucks for colour.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Keith. Yes it does.

Post Thanks / Like

MM for sure : )
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M Monochrome.

From my first M4 to the last M7 and MP film cameras, I think I ran 10 rolls of color film through them ... if that.

I've always associated a M rangefinder with B&W photography. Always.

Color digital Ms felt foreign to me ... a pretty distraction in a camera known to eliminate distractions and forcing a concentration on content.

Not only is the MM the best M, it may be the best 35mm camera I've ever owned ... however, that is based on what and how I like to shoot ... and why.

Converting a M9 or M240 file to B&W is not the same ... IMO, you have to work with a MM for a while to grasp this.

- Marc
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Monochrom here.

I've never had so much fun with an M camera. I wasn't sure at first when it arrived. After getting my processing down a bit, some club shooting at iso 5000, even some tripod shooting, and a little printing, I swooned.

I'm sure I could be happy with an M9 or with the M 240, but the Monochrom wins it for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Overall, as a camera the M240 is better. It clears the buffer in a reasonable time, the viewfinder is better and the shutter is better, as well as numerous other things.

The sensor in the MM, on the other hand, is completely beguiling and amazing. If only it were in an M240 body.

Henning

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with the M.240 is that is ugly and vulgar ; compared to the MM with it's understated matt black minimalism.

I just turned down a M.240 as I really want to add a second MM.
    Not sure if I should wait until there is a M.240 series B&W body.
    If it were to have the same finish as the MM and no red dot, I would go for it.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well darn. Now, I have to carry around a black drape to cover my "ugly and vulgar" M and only uncover it for a short time to take a shot. What horrible taste I must have since mine is SILVER. Even more ugly and vulgar. Thanks for pointing out the error of my way. But, you know, I thought it was all about the image (not my personal image, that is). Oh well, I must have been wrong. I know. I can get an MM for MY image and prominently carry it while my M waits in the case only to be brought out for a color emergency.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Well darn. Now, I have to carry around a black drape to cover my "ugly and vulgar" M and only uncover it for a short time to take a shot. ...
    Yeh, sorry guess I overstated it; I will reserve vulgar for the gold plated 100 year special edition.
    You just need to cover the red dot up in public - the rest of the camera is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't articulate a reason, but since I have had the MM, I haven't used the M9, M7 or MP at all. That's sad, and probably means that all MMs should be destroyed immediately.

C.

Post Thanks / Like

I am absolutely crazy about the MM. In fact, I just sold my M8.2 and take the MM with me just about everywhere.
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a time bound poll. Originally set to run for 60 days.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a time bound poll. Originally set to run for 60 days.
    But the MM will likely prove to be timeless, which is quite rare for anything digital.
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asiafish View Post
    But the MM will likely prove to be timeless, which is quite rare for anything digital.
    FWIW, at the moment this still remains the (I dread to say this) "affordable" monochrome camera in the market.

I am not sure if the camera itself will last for >2 years but am sure atleast some of the images captured will be.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, at the moment this still remains the (I dread to say this) "affordable" monochrome camera in the market.
    MaxMax has some similarly affordable ones for special order: Monochrome B&W Cameras

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Amin,

I know about the conversions and have been in touch with Dan for sometime now.

There are absolutely no comparisons in every sense.

The MM still is a cut above.

PS: One could argue that the Foveon sensor cameras are also true monochrome cameras, for example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't rate the MM against the M9 or M(240) or M8 as I haven't owned or used an MM. I've only owned and used the M9.

But I'd like an MM, either in addition or instead of. I'd also like an M(240). Which one I'd like more is a toss up as each has its particular point of interest for me.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
    very nice photos. bravo!

G

Post Thanks / Like

I got a good bud has both an M9 and a M240.
    He let me barrow his M9 before I went to the Fla Keys last Oct to try before I actually bought the MM to see if the rangefinder experience was as good as i remembered. It had been a really long time since I had shot a Leica M. I fell in love with his M9. The MM is just so much better at high ISO than the M9 is and I have been seeing in B&W the last few years. I think it actually performs a little better at 6400 better than the M 240. But the M 240 is a great choice if you need good high ISO performance.
    Last edited by airfrogusmc; 5th November 2013 at 13:04.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is not just the high ISO performance but that quiet shutter is a joy and makes me wonder about the M which is supposed to be even quieter!

Post Thanks / Like

Edited for content by me. I approve of this message:

This poll is not without bias, so it really has no meaning other than boosting MM owner's egos. Maybe Vivek needed a boost. I chose not to vote at all... :-)
    Last edited by Photojazz; 5th November 2013 at 09:58.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Photojazz View Post
    MM makes some amazing images, true. This poll is not without bias, so it really has no meaning other than boosting MM owner's egos. In order to have been a fair and just poll, it would have needed to be started by an independent party that was not known to any ownership community, and also not ask the question if the MM was the best digital ever as the headline for the post. :-) It had to be said. I am not saying it's not true. I am not saying it is. There's a case for both ways honestly. Color is part of everyone's life, to eliminate it in it's entirity is not something I am personally willing to do. But I do love the MM images. They definitely have a signature to them.
    Funniest post in this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

It is not just the high ISO performance but that quiet shutter is a joy and makes me wonder about the M which is supposed to be even quieter!
    It is..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Photojazz View Post
    Edited for content by me. I approve of this message:

This poll is not without bias, so it really has no meaning other than boosting MM owner's egos. Maybe Vivek needed a boost. I chose not to vote at all... :-)
    That would be so lame and I am not.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be so lame and I am not.
    My post was legitimate, like it or not. You chose to make a circus out of it Sir, not me. With that, I am done with this thread.
    /M-TP240/MM+Luxious trinity(24:35:50) + 75 2.0 APO ASPH Cron + Nikon D3X/D700, 58 1.2 noct, 28 1.4d,200VR + Zeiss 35/50/100 + 135mm 2.0 DC, 17-35/24-70/70-200VRII, Einstein studio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I own all of them, yet I find myself unable to answer this poll. Each them is great in its own way and we are lucky to be able to use one or more of them.
    Define best please...
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Still loving like the first time I've used the MM back in November of 2012.
    Kindest,
    Dave

http://www.xdayv.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't get to vote, but in 3 words, yes it is...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Didn't get to vote, but in 3 words, yes it is...
    Glad you revived this thread.

Here it is 2014. Still shoot with my M Monochrome. Added a "Thumbs-Up" to the camera to facilitate more effective use of the larger M50/0.95 and M21/1.4ASPH lenses, and added a 75AA to the MM bag.

Tried a M240 demo for two weeks. Terrific camera. Too much stuff I have no need for. Subjectively wasn't all that impressed with the color rendering for my tastes. Too many other cameras to select from for color work, and still none to select from for direct B&W 35mm work.

Rather than the "Best M Ever", perhaps the selector is most faithful to Leica's long and storied past in B&W photography? Subjectively and emotionally, I feel this camera has the most direct connection to that heritage and my own long term bias toward B&W imagery over color for the type of photography I have always used a M Rangefinder for.

In that sense, it is without a doubt in my mind the best M ever.

Will there be a better one? Perhaps, however it would be a hard sell to me. The MM does everything I desire in a B&W RF camera.

Obviously improvements in framing, buffer, and the LCD of the M(240) would be of value to many, however those are all incidentials to me as I am used to the framing from Ms all the way back to a M4, never shoot bursts of images that require a buffer and have never hit the MM's limit, and only use the LCD to swiftly see if I caught the "decisive moment" I was striving for before moving on. Half the time I don't look at it at all. Never did with my film Ms either

- Marc

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

best thing about the monochrome...it shoots black and white. no trying to decide if your image should be processed in color or b/w