The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Firmware Leica S and Leica S2

peterv

FYI:

New firmware update for the LEICA S and LEICA S2 / News / Home Page - LEICA Camera AG

AND:

A 45 mm f2,8 :)

Leica Camera is pleased to add the Leica Elmarit-S 45 mm f/2.8 ASPH., a high-performance wide-angle lens, to its lens portfolio for the Leica S media format system. There are now a total of nine lenses available.

The Leica Elmarit-S 45 mm f/2.8 ASPH. corresponds to that of a classic 35 mm lens for 35 mm photography. Its moderate wide-angle character with simultaneously natural reproduction of perspectives makes it ideal for landscapes, architectural and studio photography. At the same time, a fast maximum aperture of f/2.8 makes the lens ideal for available-light photography and the conscious use of selective planes of focus. A further highlight of this lens is its excellent control of flare to ensure high-contrast images, even when shooting a back lit subject. A total of 12 lenses are used to achieve the highest optical performance.

The Leica Elmarit-S 45 mm f/2.8 ASPH. is available at Leica Authorized Dealers in a choice of versions with and without an integrated central shutter.

GetDPI is slow today, was wondering when someone would start a thread, also I'm surprised at f/2.8. I mean, most of the semi-wide to short tele lenses are f/2.5, including the 30mm.

Wondering if Leica ever makes Summicrons for the S system...

Paratom

good to see. I wonder why it looks as big as the 35mm while "just" being f2.8?
I had hoped for a smaller lens, but great for those who want/need the focal length.

thrice

The 30 is f/2.8.
Will be interesting to see the performance vs the 35.

They might one day make a Summicron (or faster) for S but it would be unlikely that it would be compatible with central shutters. Most medium format professionals are not shooting at large aperture as uber-shallow DOF does not suit most subjects other than the really boring ones needing a gimmick.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm hoping this lens is at my workshop next week. Love to try it and the Leica rep will be on site. Might be time and I waited a long time since the beginning to think S seriously for me. My 2 issues are costs obviously but C1 support I would really like. I'm not a Lightroom fan but I have not tried it for a long time. Don't even have it on my computer. Anyway a full Leica S system will be available next week at the Acadia workshop for me to use if I want too. Might have to do a compare to my D800e with some if the best lenses I have for Nikon. Hmmm

fotografz

The 30 is f/2.8.
Will be interesting to see the performance vs the 35.

They might one day make a Summicron (or faster) for S but it would be unlikely that it would be compatible with central shutters. Most medium format professionals are not shooting at large aperture as uber-shallow DOF does not suit most subjects other than the really boring ones needing a gimmick.
Doesn't that depend on focal length and distance to subject?

I use the CS120/2.5 @ f/2.5 and 2.8 a lot for portraits which keeps ears to nose tip in focus for waist up shots ... also use the CS35/2.5 @ 2.5 a fair amount ... not as a "gimmick" but to isolate the subject from an uninteresting or cluttered background.

At least control of the DOF is one thing these god cursed cell phones can't do ... yet.

The Zeiss 110FE is a f/2 max aperture ... it's like a noctilux when used close up on a MF camera ...

- Marc

AreBee

Guy,

...a full Leica S system will be available next week at the Acadia workshop for me to use if I want too. Might have to do a compare to my D800e with some if the best lenses I have for Nikon.
I for one would be extremely interested to learn of your findings.

craigrudlin

I have a D800E and a Leica S2. Both produce outstanding images
even when I make prints as large as 40x60 inches. But, there is a
clearly evident difference between the systems in terms of the
character of the images and the "draw" of the lenses. The Leica lenses
create a micro-contrast that is 3-dimensional. The tonal range is
remarkable (as is the dynamic range of the camera per se). There appears
to be more texture with the Leica lenses and the amount of
post processing adjustments seems less with the Leica lenses. (All compared
to such Nikon lenses as the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200.)

There is simply no "fall off" in contrast or focus across the entire image
frame with the Leica lenses.

I suspect that the Leica "draw" is closer to Zeiss' although the latter
may be more "punchy" with respect to color.

There is another large difference between the two systems: bokeh.
Not whether there is bokeh -- both have nice bokeh -- but the style
or character of the bokeh. With Nikon, you can clearly see ("draw
a line") where focus and out of focus occur, where the bokeh begins.

With the Leica, the shift is "gradual" and sometimes you don't even
realize you have crossed the line it is so "natural" in its appearance.
Once there, circles of light are just that -- circles, and there is no
jitterness with the Leica. lenses. But it is definitely different from the
Nikon (and Zeiss for that matter). This is a matter of taste.

Finally, there is a marked difference in depth of field for a particular
f/stop which is not surprising given one is 35mm and the other near
medium format. Basically, as a rule of thumb, take two stops off
the expected depth of field for the Leica. This can become challenging
and I have learned focus stacking with the Leica.

Hope this helps.

The 30 is f/2.8.
Ah crap, I meant to say 35.

Most medium format professionals are not shooting at large aperture as uber-shallow DOF does not suit most subjects other than the really boring ones needing a gimmick.
There are plenty of MF lenses faster than f/2.5, not to mention the S sensor is quite smaller than 645, so the DOF at f/2.5 is deeper than f/2.8 on a 40x54mm sensor, assuming identical distance/framing.

Finally, shallow DOF is only a gimmick/crutch for bad photographers, and there are no bad MF photographers; not after investing 5/6 digits into gear.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have both the D800E and the S2 and think both Craig and Joe nailed the differences . The larger sensor and the best Leica lenses is hard to beat for a beautiful rendering .

I have also built a R kit for the D800E form 19-180R lenses plus a few of the Zeiss Zf.2 . The R lenses close the gap and produce a similar bokeh ...with the summiluxes ..roll off ,micro contrast ,excellent clean color transmission . They don t quite match the S2 but for some applications I prefer the D800E kit ( high ISO,travel ,street etc).

The S2 is much easier to work with (AF , great color calibration etc). Its also a giant effort to find the R glass ,convert to Leitax and in some cases shave the lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The lenses available next week are a Hassy 24 with adapter, 35,70 and 120. Hopefully everything is updated but at least one day I want to shoot it. The rest well they have every tech cam and different backs that I can think of to play with Alpa, Arca, Cambo and a sinartec tech cam. Backs run the gamut IQ in every flavor and IQ 2 260 and Acromatic, credo 60 and some others. Plus a full Leica S and M kit and more goodies.

This could be dangerous. LOL

Even a full Alpa kit with 4 lenses and really good ones at that.

V

Vivek

Not worried about the park being opened , plenty of great spots outside it if we can't get in.
:)

For most human beings, this "park closure", nationwide is an enigma. How can one shut down a park that spans hundreds or even thousands of miles! Is the air still available there or it is all just a vacuum? :confused:

robsteve

Subscriber
:)

For most human beings, this "park closure", nationwide is an enigma. How can one shut down a park that spans hundreds or even thousands of miles! Is the air still available there or it is all just a vacuum? :confused:
They lock the gates and spanning those hundreds or thousands of miles by foot can be problematic. You also need to pay to get into these parks and if you don't have a seasons pass, it might be a problem if you get caught inside the park.

Paratom

I have both the D800E and the S2 and think both Craig and Joe nailed the differences . The larger sensor and the best Leica lenses is hard to beat for a beautiful rendering .

I have also built a R kit for the D800E form 19-180R lenses plus a few of the Zeiss Zf.2 . The R lenses close the gap and produce a similar bokeh ...with the summiluxes ..roll off ,micro contrast ,excellent clean color transmission . They don t quite match the S2 but for some applications I prefer the D800E kit ( high ISO,travel ,street etc).

The S2 is much easier to work with (AF , great color calibration etc). Its also a giant effort to find the R glass ,convert to Leitax and in some cases shave the lenses.
I agree abot the Leica S. The IQ (color, sharpness,detail,and transition to the oof areas) is impressive, comined with a very accurate af and a big bright viewfinder.
Plus not much post ptocessing needed. Looks like the firmware has also improved the focus lock speed.