The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica RED M Revealed

Double Negative

Not Available
Let's just say I'm not surprised it looks like a lil' Mac Pro with a lens. :D

Leica Camera said:
Leica Camera is pleased to present The Leica M for (RED), designed by Jony Ive and Marc Newson. The camera, based off the Leica M, will be auctioned off at Southeby’s on November 23rd 2013 to raise money for The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

From a design standpoint, it features a laser machined aluminum body and an anodized aluminum outer shell. A total of 561 models and nearly 1000 prototype parts were made during the 85 days it took to create of this unique, one of a kind camera.

The camera has s a full-format CMOS sensor, high performance processor and new Leica APO-Summicron –M 50mm f/2 ASPH lens representing the best in photography along with its innovative design.
Leica RED M Revealed!

Double Negative

Not Available
This thing looks more hindered than even the M9 Ti edition with all the things missing (and changed). I'm not even sure it's capable of shooting in movie mode.

Double Negative

Not Available
"Being superficially different is the goal of so many of the products we see... Rather than trying to innovate and genuinely taking the time, investing the resources and caring enough to try and make something better. " - Jonathan Ive

;)

asiafish

This is clearly a one-off designed to showcase the beauty of the design and not to be more functional.

Ive is famous for making things as pretty as possible without too much intrusion into function. This is the same, gorgeous, without too much intrusion.

Hosermage

If this is the best Sir Ive can come up with, then I think the original design isn't that far off. Didn't the LED framelines in the new M came out of the Titanium M9? What features out of this one would you like to see in the M(240)P? Not much for me.

V

Vivek

It is white and not red.

Clearly nothing original. Looks like the inspiration* comes from the soap boxy Canon EOS-M.

*Hope, it is not going to be a Swiss railway story all over again!

Double Negative

Not Available
Yeah, the illuminated framelines came from the M9 Ti.

I think they should've offered green as an option, as the eye is most sensitive in that spectrum. But red is good too; it doesn't ruin your night vision like white does. It wouldn't be hard; you can use a multi-color LED that've been available for years now.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wow, that looks like a... Braun. Dieter Rams all over. Lame - Ive has no guts.
Does look like a Braun, yes, but then, much of what Sir Ive has designed lately seem to be inspired by Dieter Rams, and he's not the only one. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I guess the price.... :loco:

Lars

Does look like a Braun, yes, but then, much of what Sir Ive has designed lately seem to be inspired by Dieter Rams, and he's not the only one. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I guess the price.... :loco:
Sure - he's still gutless. No design, just rounded rectangles all over. We saw this on the Ti PowerBook 12 years ago. And we certainly saw it in Rams' designs in the 60's.

I also question the choice of material - oxidized aluminium has poor grip - especially in cold weather. Not impressed.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I also question the choice of material - oxidized aluminium has poor grip - especially in cold weather. Not impressed.
I wouldn't worry. Apparently, they are only going to make a single copy. I doubt any of us will end up with the highest bid. Hopefully, it will end up in the hands of somebody who has the guts to use it, but somehow, I doubt it :rolleyes:

During the seventies, I owned a Braun Mach 2 lighter. It was such a pleasure to use that after successfully quitting smoking, I started again just to feel the smooth operation of that device. No, I'm not joking :ROTFL:

I later lost it during a mid winter sled ride in Røros. The girl riding with me made me lose my concentration. Good for my health, don't you think?

Mine was a black one. I see that they go for $2-300 on the auction site still :eek:

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

My brother-in-law is an industrial designer and asked me about it. I took some notes from you guys regarding a few things...particularly from Lars who mentioned the cold-weather problem...
My take:
"I think it is terrible! It takes away every last vestige of ergonomics from the camera, and the design has totally crippled it from a functional standpoint. A number of components of the camera have been removed entirely in order to make it a cleaner, smoother design. There is no hotshoe; no EVF port; no cable release threading; no movie button on the top plate; no microphone and no possible opportunity for one, since the hotshoe is gone; and they have gone so far as to remove the main click wheel from the rear of the camera. Consequently, it will be much more difficult to navigate the images, menus or do any exposure compensation. It has non-standard strap lugs, so you would need a special strap to use it…one does not appear to be included. The lens has had the focusing tab removed, so there is no tactile differentiation between the aperture setting and the focusing. The lens appears to lack a lens hood, or even any filter threads that would allow the use of an add-on hood or filter. The shutter speed dial and on-off switch appear to be very difficult to use without looking at them directly from above. Again, they seem to have removed any tactility from them…they do not appear to be usable with the camera held up to one's eye, which is their basic function.

As a whole, there does not appear to be a good way to keep the camera in the hand. Since everything has been smoothed, flattened and rounded, there is nowhere for the hand to rest. The lack of a grippy texture or moulding suggests that it will be either slippery and/or fatiguing to hold. If those are really holes in the aluminum, they would quickly clog with dust, dirt and grime…the last things you want near a camera sensor. The materials choice also seems questionable -- aluminum is a very good conductor heat, which means this camera will be brutally cold to hold onto in cold weather. This is a problem, as there is no way that any of those buttons, dials or rings are going to turn by someone wearing gloves.

I know this camera is for charity, and will likely never be used, but it really bothers me as it seems to be the exact OPPOSITE purpose that design should strive for. It has taken a functional design and made it dramatically less functional to suit a particular aesthetic. It offers no new utility for the camera, and all it proves is that the designers can make a Leica look like a Mac Pro. So what? I think it diminishes the brand, the designers and the camera."

Pretty harsh. And I say while these words are being computed in a Mac Pro. I don't mind the aesthetic so much, but in this case it does not fit at all...

Stuart Richardson

Yes, I see! I agree that it takes away more than it adds, but I really question what the designers' rationale was. What is the purpose of this? Just to make a pretty object? Because they really did not "design" anything. They did not address any problems and improve them...quite the opposite. And this took a year and hundreds of prototypes? What then is this all about? This is like designing a Ferrari to look like an Eames chair and putting office chair castors on it instead of wheels. It will still roll, but not nearly like the original! If there is something of the Apple design that would have been well implemented, why not do that. How about a retina touch screen on the back instead of the regular display? Instead we get the part of the design which is largely useless, or at least employed for a specific reason in a computer (perforations for ventilation or sound-transfer) employed for no reason other than aesthetics in this implementation.