The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone heard anything?

250swb

Its an ideal time as Panasonic have just announced the availability of a 17mm f/1.7 'Leica' lens and of course the planned 42.5mm f/1.2 Nocticron for next year.

I have always thought Leica should be involved with m43 if nothing else to get a technological leg up by collaboration with an ambitious partner. I just wish it had been with Olympus as their technology tie in with Sony puts them both on the sunnier side of the street right now.

Steve

rayyan

Strange this.

Reading previous threads..the oohs and the ahhs have been for that ' Rangefinder ' experience. That orgasm that is derived from holding an M.

The ' process ' of photographing with an ' M '. That zen moment.

I wonder why then any interest in Pansonic rebadged ( or OEM supplied ) non M equipment.

Could it be a lust for variety. Or for something newer? Or an unfulfilled dream?

Like I have always believed..more fish in the sea than one can cast a net at.

p.s. take someone to a party, but not to meet the parents on the off chance one runs into something more interesting.

jonoslack

I've always felt that Leica would do well to get into µ43, but they've repeatedly said that APS-c was small enough.

I would have thought a re-worked (rather than just re-badged) GX7 would be an excellent idea . . . but I'd be REALLY surprised if it happened.

all the best

V

Vivek

Anything Panasonic created if Leica brings it out as "cloned" or "reworked" is not worth its skin, IMO. It is better if they license their recognizable logo for revenues.

jonoslack

Anything Panasonic created if Leica brings it out as "cloned" or "reworked" is not worth its skin, IMO. It is better if they license their recognizable logo for revenues.
Hi Vivek - to be honest I'm perfectly happy with both approaches. However - W
what I'd like to see is Leica making their own µ43 bodies and lenses - seems to me that way they can leverage the richer section of the µ43 community to sell bodies and lenses, and then tap into an already considerable selection of decent lenses. But I don't think they'll do it.

Double Negative

Not Available
I think it's similar to Apple products... They could release an iBrick and people would still get a little nutty over it.

Leica might do well to embrace µ43, but like DSLRs, it's a tough market with so much competition. They've steered clear of these so far. M on one extreme, compacts on the other.

V

Vivek

I think it's similar to Apple products... They could release an iBrick and people would still get a little nutty over it.
That might NOT translate into sales though. :deadhorse:

Digital Leica CL with a silent shutter (no video!), I am in. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But there are Leica m4/3 products out there. They are just made by Panasonic, and they are all lenses. Which makes it all the more puzzling why they don't make a body as well. But maybe they want to have a complete lens set available first. That will be the situation very soon, with 15mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.4, 42.5mm f/1.2 and 45mm f/2.8 macro.

I think it's just a question of time :)

250swb

I don't agree. I wouldn't buy a logo makeover on a GX7, and probably most people here wouldn't buy one either. But as an easy introduction into the marketplace it makes a lot of sense given they will be aimed at a different consumer. Leica's own efforts can come later, but having a body available immediately will have the knock on effect of a wider range of Leica designed lenses to go with it. Saying it is just a clone of a GX7 (or whatever) is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and not looking at the wider picture.

Steve

jonoslack

But there are Leica m4/3 products out there. They are just made by Panasonic, and they are all lenses. Which makes it all the more puzzling why they don't make a body as well. But maybe they want to have a complete lens set available first. That will be the situation very soon, with 15mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.4, 42.5mm f/1.2 and 45mm f/2.8 macro.

I think it's just a question of time :)
Hi Jorgen
I quite agree - really puzzles me too - It seems like a no-brainer to me, and those of the lenses I've tried are really excellent, very odd.

From public interviews it seems to me that they simply don't think that µ43 can provide good enough image quality, which is strange in the light of all the D-luxes and V-luxes . . . and so patently wrong!

Double Negative

Not Available
To borrow a phrase from shaving, "Give away the body and sell the lenses."

Though it didn't work so well for Zeiss... The Ikon is toast.

scott kirkpatrick

I find the whole low end of Leica sales a mystery. I was in the very Leica-dominated Frankfurt Z-concourse camera store a few days ago. They had three windows full of M-lenses, M-cameras, and an S-camera. One window full of little Leicas, and two windows (off behind a counter to the left) full of Olympus M43, with many of Olympus' lenses, but i did not notice the PanaLeica lenses among them. I suppose Panasonic provides the marketing support funds for those.

scott

(shot while testing an Olympus 9-18 m.Zuiko)

Double Negative

Not Available
Leica's clearly using the whizzbang-featured and inexpensive Leica C as a gateway drug to entice younger shooters to the brand. Also appealing to the folks that just want a tiny camera with a bit of bling by having The Dot (look at the clutch case for crying out loud). Truth be told, Panasonic or Leica branded, it DOES take nice pictures.

V

Vivek

You can not be more wrong there, Jorgen! :lecture:

It will be supplied bundled with the latest LR as opposed to SilkyPix. This, you see, will bring out all the micro contrast and such salient aspects of a PanaLeica lens. ;)