The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica 21 asph

H

Huwge

I have been struggling to make up my mind on how best to use the 21 on the M8. I think the best option is probably the Frankenfinder, but I don't have a WATE and I have never got on with the 21-24-28 finder. Yesterday, whilst playing around, I stuck the finder from my GRD II on the M8 and whilst small, it does seem to give reasonably useful framelines.

Then, 'fessing up to my own stupidity, I think the crop factor on the M8 has made me forget most of what I know. You can still get fairly awful keystoning even with an effective width of 28mm when you tilt the plane of the camera just a little. Doh!

Huw

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying the Zeiss 25/28 which has less barrel distortion than the Frankenfinder and is also a lot smaller.
-bob

H

Huwge

Bob - let us know how you get on. I like the 21 but seem to see use it less because of the hassle getting everything in frame that I want in frame. Also, for some reason I find it less easy to guess which is what I tend to do with the 24 - but then that is more or less my standard lens together with the 35 lux.

I am going to experiment a little more with the GV-1 (GR II) finder today.

Huw

mwalker

Subscriber Member
The entirety of the M8 viewer pretty much covers the 21mm field...good enough for me. Granted there isn't any warning when something is about to enter the shot.

D

docolmo

I don't really need an external viewfinder. If you're shooting using the one-third rule, placing your main subject on one of the corners of the 28mm framelines would get you the right framing of your picture. I don't care about what's in or out of the frame at the diagonally opposite corner.

But that's my style.

hdrmd

I agree; I rarely use an external viewfinder. I don't wear glasses, so it is fairly easy. The instant replay allows me to move forward or backwards a step, and that is usually all I need to make the 21 mmm work. DR

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think this supports the argument for being either a 21/28 fan or a 24/35 fan... THere is not a lot of significant visual difference between the 21 and 24 or even the 28 and 35, especially that a few steps either direction won't compensate for, so IMO it's more of a stylistic preference...

But then the 28 Cron has that freaking great look... :D

Maggie O

Voigtländer makes a great 28mm finder that I use with my 21mm lens. The frame lines are easily as accurate as the M8's finder.

I long for a 28 Cron, though. :bugeyes:

H

Huwge

QUOTE=Jack Flesher;9378]I think this supports the argument for being either a 21/28 fan or a 24/35 fan... THere is not a lot of significant visual difference between the 21 and 24 or even the 28 and 35, especially that a few steps either direction won't compensate for, so IMO it's more of a stylistic preference...

But then the 28 Cron has that freaking great look... :D[/QUOTE]

Jack,
I am finding myself increasingly in the 24 / 35 camp; I might trade the 21 and a apo 90 that is getting less and less use for a 28 'cron. That said, I have some lovely pictures taken with both. I need a good strong antacid to counter my current GAS :eek:

Earlier today with the 21

[
Huw

Last edited: