The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ZM 18mm on M240?

sisoje

Finally found a ZM18 in stock in Toronto. Went to Downtown Camera for a quick test. Lens code "21 pre asph" as suggested.

Quick shots inside/outside. Looks good to me! one image of the ceiling tiles with florescent advertisements was so mixed lightning but i did it anyways... Still very nice.

Latest M240 firmware.

This lens suddenly climbed on top of my list....

henningw

Since I have some options, I don't tend to use the ZM18 on the 240, but it does work. Sometimes it produces a slight colour cast, so I tend to shoot B&W with it mostly. For colour on the M240 I mostly use the WATE, which while not quite as sharp overall, has fairly even and very good performance, no colour cast issues and the current LR has profiles for the distortion, so that is no longer an issue.

Since Canon has now proven that they CAN design and produce decent wideangles, I now also (like Dave) now use the TSE lenses without qualms for architectural work here in Vancouver.

Henning

D&A

It appears many 3rd party wides and especially ultra wides do better with regards to reduced color casts, on the M9 vs. the M 240 when coded with the most effective code for a particular lens. A case in point is the Zeiss ZM 18mm. When coded as a Leica 21mm pre aspherical, it generally performs with little or no issues on a M9 but not a M240. Of course pixel desity of the M240 has much to do with this. There are other examples of ultra wides performing better on an M9 when compared to their use on a M240.

So when evaluating a lenses performance, it's worth mentioning the body it's going to be used on.

Dave (D&A)

sisoje

Dave,
I tried ZM 18 on my M240, as you can see from posted samples. There is no color shift that I can notice. It was a quick test, but enough to seriously consider this lens for my new M.
Again, it was tested with latest firmware.
So, I am not sure about your last statement...

As far as "other" WA lenses go, I have no desire to put any DSLR lenses on puny M body just because I can (mount it with adapter). For DSLR lenses I might as well use DSLR body...