Site Sponsors

Thread: "LR Flat Field tutorial"

Post Thanks / Like

"LR Flat Field tutorial"

Hi,

I would like some feedback regarding Flat Field plug in for LR: does it require a "donor image" as corner fix?
    Or just importing image in LR, and "fixing it" in LR?

My main "issue"with Corner fix is getting proper donor image for particular scene/light. Please, just respond about Flat Field. I am looking for feedback and "work flow" on FF only. I had enough of corner fix...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "LR Flat Field tutorial"

Yes, the Flat Field plug requires a profile image similar to cornerfix. Unlike cornerfix you don't create a profile file, but rather link to the profile DNG itself. On using the plug-in it allows you to correct for either color-cast and falloff, or just color-cast.

The process I used in Lightroom is a follows:
    1) select image to be corrected
    2)File - Plug In extras - Apply external correction
    3)Select the DNG file that is the profile (mine is in my cornerfix directory)
    4)Choose 'Color and falloff' or 'Color only'
    5)The plug-in creates a new corrected file with 'ff' in the name

As far as making the profile file, the easiest approach I've found is to use a Expodisc and take a shot in the appropriate light @ infinity and appropriate aperture. Works great for most lenses, but my CV15 had an integrated hood that allowed light in from the rear/sides causing weird reflections off the Expodisc that impacted on the corrected images.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for update!
    It looks very similar in procedure as Corner Fix... What I wanted to avoid (after not being able to get a proper "donor shot" in some situations for various reasons).

Time to regroup the lenses...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's a very similar process, The only advantage is the corrected shot is automatically added to the LR catalog.

I get the impression that cornerfix and the plug-in do give somewhat different results, but I haven't really examined this aspect and can't draw any conclusions.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CVickery View Post
    Yes, the Flat Field plug requires a profile image similar to cornerfix. Unlike cornerfix you don't create a profile file, but rather link to the profile DNG itself. On using the plug-in it allows you to correct for either color-cast and falloff, or just color-cast.

The process I used in Lightroom is a follows:
    1) select image to be corrected
    2)File - Plug In extras - Apply external correction
    3)Select the DNG file that is the profile (mine is in my cornerfix directory)
    4)Choose 'Color and falloff' or 'Color only'
    5)The plug-in creates a new corrected file with 'ff' in the name

As far as making the profile file, the easiest approach I've found is to use a Expodisc and take a shot in the appropriate light @ infinity and appropriate aperture. Works great for most lenses, but my CV15 had an integrated hood that allowed light in from the rear/sides causing weird reflections off the Expodisc that impacted on the corrected images.

I simply used a black electrician's tape to avoid similar reflections on my WATE 16-18-21/4 lens. Problem solved.
    With best regards, K-H.