The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"LR Flat Field tutorial"

sisoje

Hi,

I would like some feedback regarding Flat Field plug in for LR: does it require a "donor image" as corner fix?
Or just importing image in LR, and "fixing it" in LR?

My main "issue"with Corner fix is getting proper donor image for particular scene/light. Please, just respond about Flat Field. I am looking for feedback and "work flow" on FF only. I had enough of corner fix...

CVickery

Yes, the Flat Field plug requires a profile image similar to cornerfix. Unlike cornerfix you don't create a profile file, but rather link to the profile DNG itself. On using the plug-in it allows you to correct for either color-cast and falloff, or just color-cast.

The process I used in Lightroom is a follows:
1) select image to be corrected
2)File - Plug In extras - Apply external correction
3)Select the DNG file that is the profile (mine is in my cornerfix directory)
4)Choose 'Color and falloff' or 'Color only'
5)The plug-in creates a new corrected file with 'ff' in the name

As far as making the profile file, the easiest approach I've found is to use a Expodisc and take a shot in the appropriate light @ infinity and appropriate aperture. Works great for most lenses, but my CV15 had an integrated hood that allowed light in from the rear/sides causing weird reflections off the Expodisc that impacted on the corrected images.

sisoje

Thanks for update!
It looks very similar in procedure as Corner Fix... What I wanted to avoid (after not being able to get a proper "donor shot" in some situations for various reasons).

Time to regroup the lenses...

CVickery

Yes, it's a very similar process, The only advantage is the corrected shot is automatically added to the LR catalog.

I get the impression that cornerfix and the plug-in do give somewhat different results, but I haven't really examined this aspect and can't draw any conclusions.

k-hawinkler

Yes, the Flat Field plug requires a profile image similar to cornerfix. Unlike cornerfix you don't create a profile file, but rather link to the profile DNG itself. On using the plug-in it allows you to correct for either color-cast and falloff, or just color-cast.

The process I used in Lightroom is a follows:
1) select image to be corrected
2)File - Plug In extras - Apply external correction
3)Select the DNG file that is the profile (mine is in my cornerfix directory)
4)Choose 'Color and falloff' or 'Color only'
5)The plug-in creates a new corrected file with 'ff' in the name

As far as making the profile file, the easiest approach I've found is to use a Expodisc and take a shot in the appropriate light @ infinity and appropriate aperture. Works great for most lenses, but my CV15 had an integrated hood that allowed light in from the rear/sides causing weird reflections off the Expodisc that impacted on the corrected images.

I simply used a black electrician's tape to avoid similar reflections on my WATE 16-18-21/4 lens. Problem solved. ;)