The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Special edition Monochrom is SEXY

doug

Special Editions like this means a new model is coming soon, perhaps one based on the M240.

V

Vivek

Even a plain vanilla edition was difficult find and buy. Special edition? I do not think even the boutique shop can guarantee availabilities anytime! :ROTFL:

mmbma

only 35 of them. don't think they'll even make it to shops. but a chrome monochrom is just so gorgeous

250swb

Yes, at an edition of 35 it is hardly a sales push to use up redundant stock.

Leica are still not meeting demand with the MM, and given the sensor is now unique, not a direct 'upgrade' to an M240 derived sensor, it looks like the current MM CCD version as it stands will be a classic even if a replacement is released (based on the idea that B&W shooters are already more discerning about real quality). :D

Steve

Photojazz

Actually, MM sales are nearly caught up with demand at the 8K entry price, which is of course, 1K more than a new M. It's been in stock at B & H for weeks. Also, the M stocks are beginning to catch up too. we are probably hitting a soft economy in US, photographic gear sales seem to be lagging quite a bit, except for the "it's new and wonderful" stuff, like the new Sony A7 series. hot items. But not 8K either.

Nice camera, I'd still rather have black. Call me a purist.

V

Vivek

Special Editions like this means a new model is coming soon, perhaps one based on the M240.
That would be nice if it has an integrated EVF. ISO51200 (or even higher!) is very doable with the M10's CMOS sensor if the M9's CCD is taken as a guide. The very high ISO and an integrated EVF makes sense since the OVF can not be used reliably under those conditions.

However, a listing of a real camera is very unlikely for another 18months. So, an A7R monochrome will have to do, loud shutter and all.

chrism

As long as my Monochrom works I have no intent to upgrade, but I read about special editions of the MM and how this usually signifies the fall off in general sales, leading to the use of artificial stimulants to move the stock out. True or not (probably not, at least as yet, since it seems Leica is only just keeping up with demand for the plain old MM), perhaps we should be getting word out to Leica as to what we would love to see in the next generation Monochrom, even if it has to be based on the CMOS sensor. The M240 has capabilities well beyond those of the M9, and some are quite new to the Leica community. Assuming Monochrom users as a subset have different characteristics, and I suspect they are less likely to want the new bells and whistles, it might be interesting to see which of the M240 features ought to be on the CMOS Monochrom in a year or two. Someone who understands the forum software better than I do should post up a poll roughly like this:

Do you think the CMOS-based Monochrom of the future should include:

1. Movie capability

2. Live View

3. An available EVF

4. A rear LCD

It would be helpful to Leica if, for example, they discovered only 2% of Monochrom users intended to touch the movie button deliberately and the other 98% would have shots ruined by touching it accidentally.

Chris

V

Vivek

As long as my Monochrom works I have no intent to upgrade, but I read about special editions of the MM and how this usually signifies the fall off in general sales, leading to the use of artificial stimulants to move the stock out. True or not (probably not, at least as yet, since it seems Leica is only just keeping up with demand for the plain old MM), perhaps we should be getting word out to Leica as to what we would love to see in the next generation Monochrom, even if it has to be based on the CMOS sensor. The M240 has capabilities well beyond those of the M9, and some are quite new to the Leica community. Assuming Monochrom users as a subset have different characteristics, and I suspect they are less likely to want the new bells and whistles, it might be interesting to see which of the M240 features ought to be on the CMOS Monochrom in a year or two. Someone who understands the forum software better than I do should post up a poll roughly like this:

Do you think the CMOS-based Monochrom of the future should include:

1. Movie capability

2. Live View

3. An available EVF

4. A rear LCD

It would be helpful to Leica if, for example, they discovered only 2% of Monochrom users intended to touch the movie button deliberately and the other 98% would have shots ruined by touching it accidentally.

Chris

I agree Chris that there is no need to "upgrade". :)

I would like Live view and an integrated EVF, definitely, yes! Most likely, this will not happen with a Leica but with a next gen Sony A something with global shutter that I will convert to a monochrome to use. Until then the MM will be used.

asiafish

All that I want from the M240 in a new Monochrom are the new frame lines and better rear LCD.

That said, even if Leica gave us exactly that, I still wouldn't buy it as my current Monochrom will last me until it dies or is no longer compatible with anything. I just might buy a second MM, especially if they release a non-LE chrome one or better yet, black paint over brass.

D&A

Hey, I'm just trying to win the lottery so I can get my first one, never mind having two...LOL!

Heck I'd even take a Leica ME colored one at this point...but no doubt that chrome one is sure sexy.

Dave (D&A)

Double Negative

Not Available
The reason I think the MM is so sweet is *exactly* because it's based on the M9 platform.

I don't want an "MM240" anymore than I want an M240. ;)

On that note, I'm picking mine up in the next couple of weeks when I'm in Germany...

Auni

I'd love to see a M240-MM. The M240 seems to be such an advancement from the previous M9. I can't imagine how nice a MM version of it would be.

EVF, better LCD, faster electronics, better framelines and RF, weather sealed, longer battery life, it just goes on and on... better high ISO, DR, MP... and you get a movie-mode thrown in whether you use it or not.

Photojazz

But you lose the most important thing of all, that high quality CCD sensor that gives such AMAZING images.

I can't believe you said better high ISO. Are you kidding me, the MM has max ISO of 10,000! It is amazing ISO.

They might be able to get a new one right, maybe. But they do have their work cut out for them...to compare to what we have today.

Oh, the MM is back to back ordered at BH, so nevermind about what I said about it being in stock, that has now changed.

Double Negative

Not Available
I'd love to see a M240-MM. The M240 seems to be such an advancement from the previous M9. I can't imagine how nice a MM version of it would be.

EVF, better LCD, faster electronics, better framelines and RF, weather sealed, longer battery life, it just goes on and on... better high ISO, DR, MP... and you get a movie-mode thrown in whether you use it or not.
"meh."

Auni

But you lose the most important thing of all, that high quality CCD sensor that gives such AMAZING images.

I can't believe you said better high ISO. Are you kidding me, the MM has max ISO of 10,000! It is amazing ISO.

They might be able to get a new one right, maybe. But they do have their work cut out for them...to compare to what we have today.

Oh, the MM is back to back ordered at BH, so nevermind about what I said about it being in stock, that has now changed.
High quality CCD sensor, yes. But, better sensors are being made like the M240. More of an urban-photography legend probably perpetuated by those that own it... simple rationalization, IMHO.

Sure, high ISO is always a consideration. It allows for more degrees of freedom in selection of slower lenses and faster shutter speeds, for example.

Auni

That's what makes a horse race. Not everyone is impressed with advancements in technology when it comes to Leica cameras. Many, want things to remain the same in this market and I am keenly aware of this group. I don't expect everyone to share my opinion.

But, I could be happy with any of these great cameras.

Double Negative

Not Available
That's what makes a horse race. Not everyone is impressed with advancements in technology when it comes to Leica cameras. Many, want things to remain the same in this market and I am keenly aware of this group. I don't expect everyone to share my opinion.

But, I could be happy with any of these great cameras.
Of course... Definitely a case of YMMV. What some people want is not necessarily the same as what other people want.

Personally, I highly value the sheer and utter simplicity that lies at the heart of the M (pre-M240). All the whizz-bang features like the EVF, movie mode, etc. are none of what I want. I went back to RFs precisely for that reason... And why I've kept my M9 (and buying an MM to match). I'm not saying the M9 is perfect (e.g. shutter sound, battery life, high-ISO) but I can live with it for any foreseeable future.

Leica can never keep up in the arms race with Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc. and I think trying to will only water down the M with features that I suspect most M shooters don't really want or need. If you're trying to buy ONE body that "does it all" perhaps. I'm a strong believer in the right tool for the job. Which is why I still have Canon and Hassy gear. I don't want to shoot macro with my M. Or sports. Or, well, movies for that matter.