The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Giottos close fit for Leica M screen protector

Photojazz

IF you have wanted to protect the glass on your M display, I went out on a limb to try the closest fit to the M display by exact dimensions. Since Giottos as yet does not make the M screen cover. The fact is, they probably never made the M9 either, they just happened to have one that fit it probably, so they added the name onto it, lol.

The height is pretty well an exact match on this screen protector. The width is just a little bit short of an exact fit. IF you can live with peering behind a frame line edge for seeing exact width on LV, I believe you will be happy with using the Giottos SP8321. Personally, I don't often think my width will be that precision critical for LV. It does not cause any issues with menus of course.

Adorama part number:

Giottos 67.4 x 51.2mm AEGIS Screen protector for Nikon D600 , D800 , D800E , D7100 SKU: GTSP8321 MFR: SP8321

I spent a good 45 minutes to an hour searching through all the Giottos specifications to find this very close fit. IF you want something quality over the knock off ebay listings, you may give this a try. I am telling you it's NOT an exact fit, but it is close enough for me. YMMV.

Price isn't cheap on this one, it's 38.99 Yeah, that fits with Leica pricing structure real well. :poke:

Doug

250swb

How much!

In comparison you can buy a whole pack of iPhone screen protectors, and cut them down to the exact size you want, for no more two or three dollars. I had one on my M9 for four years until I sold it recently. Despite lots of scratches and dents the screen protector came off easily leaving a perfect LCD screen. You don't need to pay inflated prices.

Steve

D&A

Doug, in my experience of long time use of Giottios screen protectors for a wide variety of rear LCD's , I found with any popular camera, Giottos takes quite some time before they release a specifically cut protector for a given model. Until that time, all one can do is find one in dimensions that's as close a fit as possible, as you have done. It rarely will be a 100% perfect. Once though they release one specific for a given model camera (and label it as such), it's generally a near perfect fit. I'll give then credit for that!

For example, for the first few months after the Nikon D600 was released, they didn't have a specific one so I measured like you did and found one by chance with an near perfect fit. Now a year later they actually have a new one that is labeled for the D600 (and a few other cameras). Interestingly, the one I originally purchased which wasn't labeled for the D600, now also has the D600 listed on its front in recently released packages for it...even though its black borders are thicker on this 1st slightly less than perfect one Alternatively the newer one for the D600 has thinner black borders. Outer dimensions though of the two are virtually (ever so slightly different) the same but guess they felt it was worthwhile to release a thinner black border one for the D600.

Give it some time and I bet they will have one specifically cut and labeled for the M240. There's generally a fairly long time frame between release of a new camera and release of their screen protector specific that given model.

Dave (D&A)

Photojazz

Steve, that's a first, IAnything being "cheaper". LOL. I have used some generic screen protectors before, cut and cover. Never very happy with them. I Phone covers may be better than what I had, I don't know. Good idea though, to late for me on that idea.

Dave, thanks for sharing, yes, and ironically, I believe the very protector I bought covers a D600 and a D800. Well, it was more expensive than I liked, but it did seem to work out ok.

at least my other Leicas use lesser expensive ones.

I do like the Giottos covers though, I Started using them with my M9.