The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does your strap bug you?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Oh ..now I get it ...you use the Leica Goodies hook to release the camera for use with a handstrap....that solves the problem with low or high camera angles. Should have been obvious from the first picture of the Y strap.

charlesphoto

Upstrap all the way. Screw "looking good" or matching vs having an $8k camera slip off your shoulder. Nice thing about the Upstrap is that it's the same on both sides of the pad unlike Leica's. I find it also keeps me from shrugging my shoulder, thereby cutting down on expensive health care costs later.

woodyspedden

Upstrap makes a smallish strap specially for Ms. It comes with two small rings to attach to the camera lugs then attaches as for all Upstraps.

I wouldn't be caught without an upstrap on any camera I own (O.K. I don't yet have one for the Hasselblad H3DII-39). They are the best dollars I have spent on camera accessories and at very low prices.

Woody

Stuart Richardson

people use straps in different ways though...the reason I like unpadded leather or cloth straps (for light cameras) is because I wrap the strap several times around my wrist and carry it at my side...you can't really do this comfortably with rubber/plastic straps like the leica strap or the upstrap. One thing is clear though, straps matter and people damn well have their preferences!

charlesphoto

I use the smallish RF strap on my Nikon D3 as well. No, they don't wrap around the wrist quite as well as well as I would like it to (that's how I work too) but the insurance i get when it's on my shoulder is priceless.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I did a side by side with two M8s for week . One had the UpStrap(the small one for cameras of teh M size) and the other the luigi leather strap with the pad(deluxe model). The Upstrap works better in the most important area ...it stays on your shoulder . I mean it never moves .

The Luigi is just a joy like his cases and it does wrap easily..stores better.

So why can t I have a Luigi leather strap with at least a Leica pad. The old R straps have a lot of grip and don t slip .

But if I can t make it work well its back to the Upstrap .

atanabe

Mark

Thanks ....I remembered that and fixed one of my Upstraps to work with the Leica connectors from an old R strap. Still don t understand why he said you had to cut the old strap...I was able to slide my connector off. One of my friends was an electrician and he always had some thin black tubing that with a little heat from a hair dryer would shrink to cover the lug rings and any other strap hardware.

Since I always work with 2 M bodies ..I need to drop them from each shoulder ....I put my thumbs in the straps to keep the bodies in front when walking .

Since I also like the luigi cases ...I would prefer the leather straps ..the also fold up better and travel easier than the upstraps which are stiffer . Problem is the luigi straps slip off my shoulder. I am sure I could get luigi to make me a leather strap with a Leica R nibbed sholder pad ...better would be to find a way to glue a thin rubber pad to luigis leather pad.
Roger
Roger,
There were several designs of the Leica straps and the earlier ones had the ends fused so the plastic covers for the lugs would not come off. The plastic covers had a bar in the middle to keep it from coming off of the strap loop. I usually ask my Leica rep or local store for any old straps so that I can have the lugs for future use.

Al

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Al

Thanks that explains it. I still have several of the old R series version. The plastic covers are just a little big for the UPSTRAP (small version) but work fine . They fit the Luigi leather strap but are tight. Workable solutions.

Roger

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ok I heard back form Luigi. He indicated that producing a strap with a rubber grip facing on his leather straps would cause him problems in exporting to the USA. Seems that he has to declare the materials used and "all leather " except hardware is what he is cleared for.

He doesn t think the strap needs it and said he has heard no complaints.

Billingham ,maker of fine camera bags, has just come out with a " new version" of their removable shoulder pads . They are leather,lightly padded and have a flexible rubber facing. Might try one of those on his old strap without the pad .

Hacker

I've tried lots of straps on my M8
The only catastrophe was the Leica leather strap which had a stud which scratched the LCD:mad:
You need to upgrade your LCD to the sapphire one :ROTFL:. As an aside, I'm still wondering how in the world this can be considered an upgrade when even P&S cameras have 3" LCD screens!