The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 Compatible Lenses

Gary P

I am considering the m8 and have a question on the current lenses in inventory. I have a Voitlander 15mm F4.5, a Leica 35mm F2.0 Summicron, and a Leica 90mm F2.8 Elmarit.

I assume there is an adapter to screw the Voitlander onto the M8?

Does anyone have experience with these on a Digital M? I look forward to hearing from your insights.

Thanks.

Gary P

P.S. New to DPI

Hacker

They all work on the M8, you just need the correct adapter to bring up the correct framelines (except for the Heliar of course).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Hacker,

Thanks for responding. Adapter for the Leica glass? Any sources?

Thanks.

Gary P
Gary,

i assume that the 35 and 90 are M lenses...M6, M7 compatible? If so no adapter is needed, otherwise the same Voigtlander screw to M ( LTM-M ) adapter should work. Each adapter is machined to set the framelines in the body so you need to get specific adapter for each lens/frameline set.

Cameraquest or BH Photo are a couple of sources for the adapters and you can search BH to find the appropriate adapter.

Bob

akiralx

Hi Hacker,

Thanks for responding. Adapter for the Leica glass? Any sources?

Thanks.

Gary P
I shoot the 90 Elmarit-M on the M8 - no adapter needed, it will bring up the 28/90 framelines. Not easy to focus accurately, though.

The 35 Summicron-M will work fine as well, but you might want to get that coded (no need to code FLs over 50mm so the 90 is fine as it is). You will need UV/IR filters for both, though.

Generally all M-mount Leica lenses work fine on the M8.

I also have the CV 15 f/4.5 - get the Milich adapter and code it as a Leica Wide Angle Tri-Elmar (WATE). Note that it isn't rangefinder coupled but the DOF is pretty huge.