Site Sponsors

Thread: 6 Bit Coding - San Francisco

Post Thanks / Like

6 Bit Coding - San Francisco

I am in the San Francisco Bay area and I need to get some Leica Lenses coded. Does anybody here have any ideas how to get this done quickly.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6 Bit Coding - San Francisco

Well, it depends on how the results are supposed to look. If you want it to be Leica-like you should of course send your lenses in. Then there are also some lens mounts with the six coding holes in them which you can buy on ebay. But they don't work on all lenses and I'm not certain enough these things are as precisely manufactured as should be.

I simply used a Sharpie and coded my lenses myself. When I was certain where the markings should be I used a Dremel tool to grind in the six holes and marked them again.
    This takes a mere 30 Minutes and works as well as the original Leica coding (and it's basically free).

Though keep in mind you should know what you're doing. Important is that you remove the lens mounts from the barrel bevor you start grinding the holes.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

On Zeiss and CV lenses, I temporarily code using a Sharpie and a template. If you have Leica glass and have a little bit of luck - you can swap the flange for one that's codable/6-bit ready. Check out an article I did a while back that shows how to do this...

Converting to a Coded M Lens Mount

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i do it in new york with turnaround in a couple of days:

JLM Milich Advanced Camera Parts
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is it apparent that sharpie coding for the M9 also works on the M240? There have been reports that the M240 is more finicky. And is it only necessary to mark the black bits on a silver mount (or the white bits on a black adapter), or should both be painted? I've been successful with black marks on lens mounts and the M9, but not with the M240.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a couple of the third party adapters off eBay and did not have much success with them.

I only have two lenses that are uncoded and I've made 2 presets for them on my M-E that sets the lens manually. This has worked well for me. But I could see if someone had a much larger inventory of uncoded lenses they would need more than the 4 presets the M9/M-E has. Not sure how the M handles this.
    Duane Pandorf
    -----------------
    Blog | Portfolio |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i do it in new york with turnaround in a couple of days:

JLM Milich Advanced Camera Parts
    John,

We discussed a while ago an issue of new holes positioning on Zeiss ZM flange. Did you figure out if newer ZM lenses can accept your flanges?

Thanks,
    Steven