The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filter system on 30-90 and 24 mm for the S/S2

GMB

Last year, we had a discussion on the use of the Lee filter system on the 30-90 mm in this thread. Main issue: Lee does not produce a 95 mm ring. Some suggested to use the Scheider adapter ring.

I just wondered whether anyone has any new experience since then. I now also have the 24 mm and would really like to take some long exposure shots with the Lee Big Stopper.

Thanks and happy New Year.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The guys at Dale told me the 24 will vignette with the Lee Filters . I will see if I can get some specifics .

GMB

I eventually got the 95 mm adapter ring. It works on the 30-90 until about 33 mm. It does cut into the corners of the 24 mm in a manner which makes it unsuitable for that lens. To bad, because I think long exposures with the 24 could be quite spectacular.

Has anyone tried a screw in ND on the 24?

anGy

Hello Georg,
I was using a Lee filter holder and the Lee adaptor ring for wide angle lenses on my Rodenstock 32mm.
Sold it and bought the Leica S 24mm (amazing lens by the way).

The Lee filter holder (without the adaptor ring) is just a bit larger than the S24mm front diameter.
So I just taped the filter holder inside (with soft, thick gaffer) to reduce its inner diameter. Now I can gently push it on the 24mm front, insirt the big stopper filter and use it.

It works, it's rather stable (does not look the whole Lee kit wants to jump out from the lens front and meet the ground) but this is still an unsafe fallback solution for sure.

Cheers (from the heart of Europe too :)