The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

thinking of selling my wate

dseelig

I seem to be more of a low light guy and I did not like the preash 50 lux on an m8, though I liked it on film. I ma getting a 24 1.4 after selling a my 50 lux 38 cron and 35 cron I will have enough money to get a 24 . My bigger question is the wate my least used lens I am thinking I can get the 18 zeiss and he 50 lux asph. Anyone gone to the 18 after having a wate regrets?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Dave

This is highly subjective but I have both the 18 and the WATE. They are both exceptional lenses and yet they "draw"...if thats the correct word....quite differently. The Zeiss is very consistent with the ZM lenses. Very high resolution and contrast..and what looks to me as slightly less microcontrast and color saturation than the Leica asph lenses.

The WATE seems to favor the microcontrast and saturation and yet does not resolve the fine detail as say your 5o asph does. I really like the color produced by the WATE .....I think it renders more in line with the 28 cron .

I am finding that the M lenses that I prefer ...will depend on matching the lens to the subject matter and the light . Sean Reid writes about this in his reviews. For example ..I don t need very high contrast very often in Florida ...best rendering might come form a 35 cron pre asph verse winter street shooting in a city where the 35 1.4 asph might be a better choice. So its matching the lens to the light (and subject matter).

I prefer the WATE for both its ability to handle high contrast lighting and because its a 16 at the wide end. You may actually prefer the 18ZM for low light and ,of course, the WATE is 4x as expensive .

Roger

cdnguyen

I like my WATE . It's the best super wide I ever owned better than the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 AFS. I always think Leica IQ is better than Zeiss. If you can afford to keep it do. Here's the pic with the WATE I took at the Broadmoor hotel in Colorado Springs Colorado.:)

Perhaps it was just my copy of the WATE, but the CV15mm is much sharper. I found I didn't reach for the WATE all that often and it was a lot to carry around, plus the nuance difference between 16/18/21 seemed silly to me. I bought it with the 30% discount and sold it for a profit, so in that regard I like it a lot. The 50Lux is a no brainer - outstanding! Having had the 50 first then the WATE, may have contributed to my dislike of the WATE's sharpness.

Just my thoughts since you asked.