The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Monochrome with Voigtlander 12mm

alajuela

Hi

I wonder if anybody has any experiences with the Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 Lens on the Leica Monochrome

I have heard that the 12mm throws off color caste in the corner, but the Leica Monochrome being only black and white - I would think this should not be an issue, I have heard it is not bad in the corners . sharpness wise, and really sharp in the center. Are there any issues with vignetting?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

DavidE

I'm happy using it with the Monochrom. It does tend to vignette, but you can correct that with CornerFix.

Here are some examples with the Monochrom.

(Don't blame the vignette here on the lens, as I often add it to wide-angle shots.)

alajuela

I'm happy using it with the Monochrom. It does tend to vignette, but you can correct that with CornerFix.

Here are some examples with the Monochrom.

(Don't blame the vignette here on the lens, as I often add it to wide-angle shots.)

Thank you David

Really nice shots, I think the vignetting should not be a problem as I shoot raw and use C1.
Everyday that goes by - is getting me closer to getting the 12mm. Does look like fun. Are you using the 12mm viewfinder? If so - any comment?
Thanks again
Phil

DavidE

Are you using the 12mm viewfinder? If so - any comment?
I always use the viewfinder when shooting with the lens. The viewfinder image is clear and sharp, and the housing is constructed with metal, not plastic.

It doesn't have brightlines, though. You use the entire frame to compose your shot. While I generally prefer brightlines, so that I can see what is just outside the frame, it hasn't bothered me with the 12mm (the lens is so wide, there isn't much left to bring into the frame.)

For focusing, I just use the distance settings on the lens. Even when shooting wide open, everything is likely to be in focus any way.