The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Review the world has been waiting for ...

stephengilbert

I'd never read anything by Rockwell, and now I've read several paragraphs.

Of the little I read, this is my favorite:

The M typ 240 makes decent enough color right out of the camera as JPGs, while the only way to get usable color from the M9 was to shoot in DNG and use Aperture.

lambert

I'd never read anything by Rockwell, and now I've read several paragraphs.

Of the little I read, this is my favorite:

The M typ 240 makes decent enough color right out of the camera as JPGs, while the only way to get usable color from the M9 was to shoot in DNG and use Aperture.
I think KR is a hoot! It beats reading the comic strips in the daily paper.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Before criticizing, you should prove that you can do better.

I for one enjoy reading his reviews.
You really don t have to be “better” to be a critic …..seriously the very best curators,photo editors and art directors are rarely better than the talent they evaluate and often employ . And this case we are speaking about a technical review of camera equipment …..not really a validation of KR skills as a photographer .

You can certainly learn something from KR s reviews as they sometimes provide a perspective thats different than other reviews sites . Unfortunately this review is seriously flawed .

For example …less DR range in the highlights with the new M240 than the M9 …its the exact opposite . How do I know ? I did this test myself with a color checker and a grey scale . The M240 has a linear tone curve (out of the camera ) with a higher set point for highlights than an M9 ..so its easier to blow the highlights . However it has much better DR in the highlights …as you should want it . This unfortunately is a key factor in the out of the camera differences ….the M9 has compressed highlights which appear as brilliance in the out of the camera files …perfect for many photographs not so great if the highlight tones are important to the image .

This is presenting mis information as fact without supporting proof . Thats different that advising that the out of the camera jpegs are great so who cares about the DNG .

Its fine to consider differing perspectives and I ve learned many things from KR reviews especially on the nikon lenses .

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Although he writes a lot of nonsense, there is a kind of down to earth common sense in his articles that I like. The problem is that those without knowledge will have problems separating the sense from the nonsense. However, when it comes to Leica cameras and lenses, that doesn't matter much, does it? Those who want one and can afford it will buy it regardless :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I like his down to earth common sense advice and findings. He just shoots himself in the foot with his sometimes naive, sometimes wrong, sometimes illogical and often times dumb statements that ruin his credibility.

That said, I'm sure that he does just fine with his ad revenue and affiliate sell through. Let's not confuse education and public service with making a living from the internet.

P.s. Damn, now I'm going to have to go over there and take a look and bump up his page views.

lambert

Before criticizing, you should prove that you can do better.

I for one enjoy reading his reviews.
Who's criticising? I enjoy reading his articles, I just don't take him too seriously. Nor does he.

"I feel like the Forrest Gump of photography".
Ken Rockwell

Jim Trunck

Do not take Ken too seriously. I suggest you go to his "About" page and read the first paragraph of the About and the fourth paragraph from the end of the About. Explains everything? At least you have to enjoy his style.

dude163

"Versus iPhone

The iPhone 5S shoots faster, has a wider dynamic range and has better colors and auto white balance than the M typ 240."

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My biggest issue with him and I refuse to read his stuff anymore is he maybe entertaining but he is also very misleading to beginners that just don't know any better. To me that's a big problem. I know myself I never want to mislead anyone on my thoughts. I feel it a obligation to not do that but he certainly is laughing all the way to the bank. Great business model poor ethics.

MirekE

Lots of good information, but some controversial, too.

"Only a fool uses discount lenses like Voigtländer on an M 240"
"...it would be foolish to use it with anything other than the finest lenses [he means Leica vs. competition here], without which you'll only get half the quality for which you paid..."
"50mm SUMMICRON is much sharper than the 50mm SUMMILUX ASPH for nature and landscape shots"

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I like how he always asks for donations, but drives this:

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S Review
I've never once thought that Ken Rockwell was struggling with his internet business. Good for him from a business perspective. If you gave him a donation and thought that it was to keep him and his family off the bread line and welfare then more the fool you. (figuratively speaking, not literally YOU).