The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica's new APS-C Interchangeable lens camera

rayyan

A camera ad going on ad nauseam about metallurgical processes!

Major shareholder almost wanting to do a selfie.

Trying to sell a mediocre product to be seen with..like that unfortunate lady looking through a M camera with the lens hood attached!

Fanboys that cannot but sing its praises..look do not compare this camera with others on the basis of imaging technicals, price etc...

It stands above all..see the poor soul grinding the metal by hand for 45 minutes!

Look at the pedigree. Only the plebs shall be unappreciative of it.

But you, the crime de la creme, those that appreciate the finer things in life will understand.

Handcrafted German engineering ( with a bit of help from Japanese and American designers that use robotics for production :eek:) for you the elite suckers.

Did anyone watch the ' best club in the world ' play Real Madrid in the Champeon's League semi-final.

Know the result? That is the result I come up with when I dot my ' Is ' and cross my ' Ts '

I choose not to be a sucker from those born every minute or tens of years.

YMMV.

jonoslack

A camera ad going on ad nauseam about metallurgical processes!

Major shareholder almost wanting to do a selfie.

Trying to sell a mediocre product to be seen with..like that unfortunate lady looking through a M camera with the lens hood attached!

Fanboys that cannot but sing its praises..look do not compare this camera with others on the basis of imaging technicals, price etc...

It stands above all..see the poor soul grinding the metal by hand for 45 minutes!

Look at the pedigree. Only the plebs shall be unappreciative of it.

But you, the crime de la creme, those that appreciate the finer things in life will understand.

Handcrafted German engineering ( with a bit of help from Japanese and American designers that use robotics for production :eek:) for you the elite suckers.

Did anyone watch the ' best club in the world ' play Real Madrid in the Champeon's League semi-final.

Know the result? That is the result I come up with when I dot my ' Is ' and cross my ' Ts '

I choose not to be a sucker from those born every minute or tens of years.

YMMV.
Ray - you're turning into a grumpy old man, and it doesn't suit you. (I'm afraid I'm beyond redemption :) )

Marketing is a time honoured tradition, and accusing people of being suckers because they don't agree with you is not polite.

Nobody is forced to buy a Leica T, and no wool is being pulled over anybody's eyes. Everybody can try one in a Leica store, and there are thousands of images available to ponder over.

Sure - you don't want one (I'm sticking with my M) but hey, there's no need to insult those that do (is there?)

rayyan

Ray - you're turning into a grumpy old man, and it doesn't suit you. (I'm afraid I'm beyond redemption :) )

Marketing is a time honoured tradition, and accusing people of being suckers because they don't agree with you is not polite.

Nobody is forced to buy a Leica T, and no wool is being pulled over anybody's eyes. Everybody can try one in a Leica store, and there are thousands of images available to ponder over.

Sure - you don't want one (I'm sticking with my M) but hey, there's no need to insult those that do (is there?)
Jono, I consider paying over the odds for a product for which numerous equivalent ( even better products at lesser cost ) to be getting caught up into a marketing hype. One who falls for such a scheme is, to say the least, one who shall part with his/her money purely for the hype. Asking someone not to be ' sucked ' into such enticing ( and oh so boring ) marketing tactics is not an insult.

But a service for people to weigh the alternatives available and also to hear alternate advice.

I consider telling people not to compare one product with another on the basis of
technology, price/performance but based on a ' brand ' to be arrogant.

I apologise if my post calls someone a sucker. That was and never shall be the intention.

Being grumpy ( the both of us are ) is a part of becoming wise!! And wise people should advise the young huns not to part with their money that easily.

Polished metal indeed. Polished diamonds..yes.

And btw, Rolex is a bad comparison. It to is a ho hum product. There are much more expensive ones out there. If one wants to indulge in snobbery.

Making images..my old lady is not a photographer, but she can easily make equally good photographs with her D-Lux 4 ( she bought it for the red dot against my advice ). That proves nothing.

As for me, I can rattle of equally good snaps with my ' unpolished ' and plastic fuji.

I have noted perviously..YMMV. You have a right to disagree with me. But I do believe this Leica ' T ' is an emperor with no clothes.

jonoslack

Jono, I consider paying over the odds for a product for which numerous equivalent ( even better products at lesser cost ) to be getting caught up into a marketing hype. One who falls for such a scheme is, to say the least, one who shall part with his/her money purely for the hype. Asking someone not to be ' sucked ' into such enticing ( and oh so boring ) marketing tactics is not an insult.
Better is a relative term in these circumstances Ray - I'd certainly say that the image quality is better than the Fuji (for instance), but that's because I don't like the Fuji greens.
Nobody - at least Nobody I've read has suggested that this camera is a good value/performance proposition. But it's a lovely thing, and has a different and interesting interface - you don't need to be a sucker to be interested in that.

Being grumpy ( the both of us are ) is a part of becoming wise!! And wise people should advise the young huns not to part with their money that easily.
Well, I do disagree here - I think that being grumpy is just an unpleasant symptom of getting old and forgetting that there are other ways of looking at things than our own. I fight it whenever I can
Making images..my old lady is not a photographer, but she can easily make equally good photographs with her D-Lux 4 ( she bought it for the red dot against my advice ). That proves nothing.
Good is also a relative term - your wife certainly takes excellent photos with her D-lux4 (which probably cost about half as much as a Leica T body and more than twice as much as the identical Panasonic). But in terms of technical image quality they will come nowhere near it.

You pays your money and you makes your choice (as your wife did), and so do I, and to tell people that they are being hyped when they make a choice you disagree with seems, well, uncalled for!

bradhusick

Ray, go try the T and then give us your opinion. If you're looking for lots and lots of opinions, try other forums.

Last edited:

rayyan

Jono, nothing wrong with liking a thing of beauty. But ' beauty ' too is relative
thing.

You ask people not to consider an imaging tool on it's imaging techs, it's sensor, it's weather sealing, it's viewing optics but on others....aesthetics, polished metal, monogram etc..they are certainly important; but are they the reason to purchase a camera.

You ask us not to compare it other cameras, in the same group, on a price/performance ratio. What other criteria? The amount of time it took to polish a metal box without weather sealing?

You ask me to put the imaging technology built into the ' T ' as of secondary importance. You want me to get caught up in a marketing hype of ' beauty ', ' menu simplicity ', lenses that are without image stabilization, no weather proofing, slow..slow, and costing what I could get a complete camera system of equivalent image quality and superbly built.

Just because you do not like Fuji's greens...but I like them. So what?

Asking me not to compare this Leica product with other equivalent products on the market insults my intelligence, if not of others.

The M is unique..a rangefinder. I would not compare it with others..there is no other like it to compare it with.

A 3 year old sensor built in a box polished by hand for 45 minutes at a price point, which to me represents the least value. I ain't a sucker for such a mediocre product at this price point. The ' brand ' in this instance is overused,overhyped,overpriced and undervalued.

This is my humble opinion. Why do you have an issue if I say so?

rayyan

Ray, I think we understand you will not be buying the Leica T.
My name is Rayyan. It is clearly indicated on all my posts.

But back to the subject, does my not buying the ' T ' disqualify me from commenting in this thread.

Can't one comment based on official published specs.?

Godfrey

Jono, nothing wrong with liking a thing of beauty. But ' beauty ' too is relative
thing.

You ask people not to consider an imaging tool on it's imaging techs, it's sensor, it's weather sealing, it's viewing optics but on others....aesthetics, polished metal, monogram etc..they are certainly important; but are they the reason to purchase a camera.

You ask us not to compare it other cameras, in the same group, on a price/performance ratio. What other criteria? The amount of time it took to polish a metal box without weather sealing?

You ask me to put the imaging technology built into the ' T ' as of secondary importance. You want me to get caught up in a marketing hype of ' beauty ', ' menu simplicity ', lenses that are without image stabilization, no weather proofing, slow..slow, and costing what I could get a complete camera system of equivalent image quality and superbly built.

Just because you do not like Fuji's greens...but I like them. So what?

Asking me not to compare this Leica product with other equivalent products on the market insults my intelligence, if not of others.

The M is unique..a rangefinder. I would not compare it with others..there is no other like it to compare it with.

A 3 year old sensor built in a box polished by hand for 45 minutes at a price point, which to me represents the least value. I ain't a sucker for such a mediocre product at this price point. The ' brand ' in this instance is overused,overhyped,overpriced and undervalued.

This is my humble opinion. Why do you have an issue if I say so?
A little restraint would do well. Rather than calling everyone who thinks it's rather nice a 'sucker to a marketing ploy', "I don't think it's worth the money and won't buy one. I wouldn't recommend it either." would have been perfectly sufficient (if you felt you had to say anything at all, really) without disparaging other people's opinions, intentionally or not.

G

Terry

Jono, I consider paying over the odds for a product for which numerous equivalent ( even better products at lesser cost ) to be getting caught up into a marketing hype.
But the point is whose definition of equivalent or better?

In another spot you say there is not equivalent to a rangefinder....what is the equivalent camera to the T? Is it an Oly with a zillion buttons and a menu structure that takes a zillion page manual to figure out? Not my cup of tea but others gush praise on it.

I'm not saying the T is the most amazing camera to come out but from a UI standpoint it is different enough for some people to have a serious interest.

rayyan

I am out of this discussion.

But shall eagerly look forward to the undoubtedly numerous good folk on this forum who shall buy this nice camera and post their images.

Can't wait for Man City vs Everton match tomorrow.

Best.

scott kirkpatrick

Troll-nourishing is always a bad idea, but with only one camera actually in hand to date among the forum members, what else is there to do? I hope to see this situation change quickly.

scott

stephengilbert

What's a "troll;" someone who posts something critical in a Leica thread?

Rayyan is a good photographer, and a regular participant in GetDPI. He isn't a troll.

Godfrey

Yehh, Godfrey; I think you should buy a "T", then send me your GXR-M, I'll see that it is properly recycled
For a suitable fee, sure. But not before I test them against one another.
You want the X2 and the M9 too?

Need some way to fund buying the T. ;-)

G