The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica's new APS-C Interchangeable lens camera

bradhusick

The Leica T is perfect. Leica lenses are perfect. The prices are perfect. Every photo I take with a Leica is perfect.

Just my opinion. :ROTFL:

retow

I don't have an issue with software corrections... But I`m surprised about Leica passing off a relatively cheap, slow, run of the mill, Japanese made kit zoom that isn't even stabilized as some kinda premium made out of magic unicorn dust lens worth a couple of grands.

lambert

I don't have an issue with software corrections... But I`m surprised about Leica passing off a relatively cheap, slow, run of the mill, Japanese made kit zoom that isn't even stabilized as some kinda premium made out of magic unicorn dust lens worth a couple of grands.
The target audience for this camera, the Hermes set, are very likely not in the least bit interested about boring stuff like software correction, image stabilization, integrated sensor cleaning and so on. Leica's marketing for the T has made clear that their typical buyer will be more excited to see that each and every body is hand polished for up to an hour.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You are right. The idea that Leica would actually make the perfect lens and not use lens corrections is really boring. No one around here ever talks about lens quality, which is odd for a photography forum.

Personally, I find camera technology very interesting. I am sorry it bores you. Perhaps a photography forum is not the right place for you
Discussion which are intellectually worth and/or challenging are interesting. I think also a photography forum should be a place for such discussions. And so far I got the opinion you also like such discussions or has this changed? I am surprised ....

Paratom

I try to understand...

We now do know that the Leica T zoom applies software correction, we didnt find out by seeing any problems in images , but we read it on a review site in the internet.
And now we complain that one guy from Leica made a missleading statement, because we would have liked to hear it from Leica directly and not read it in the internet.

We still dont see any disadvantages in images so far (for example something like soft corners of the equivalent Zeiss/Sony zoom for the A7) and we do know the facts now and we can decide if we still want to buy that camera or not, but we really would have liked to hear it from Leica directly.
Even if the camera system isnt interesting for us anyways because its for Hermes show off people- we still would have liked to het the info from Leica?

Is this the main problem at the moment?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I try to understand...

We now do know that the Leica T zoom applies software correction, we didnt find out by seeing any problems in images , but we read it on a review site in the internet.
And now we complain that one guy from Leica made a missleading statement, because we would have liked to hear it from Leica directly and not read it in the internet.

We still dont see any disadvantages in images so far (for example something like soft corners of the equivalent Zeiss/Sony zoom for the A7) and we do know the facts now and we can decide if we still want to buy that camera or not, but we really would have liked to hear it from Leica directly.
Even if the camera system isnt interesting for us anyways because its for Hermes show off people- we still would have liked to het the info from Leica?

Is this the main problem at the moment?
Tom,

For some this seems to be the problem. Actually many others cannot care less about this. And it shows that some people are still very dependent on what review sites publish, although I must state that Dpreview is one of the best and most serious sites IMHO. But still not to take too serious, but this is another discussion.

For me the T system shows so many innovations (from Leica) that this is enough - and the test images I made with the Leica T and available lenses are just outstanding. I could not care less about if this is achieved with or without SW corrections. The results are outstanding!

But I think the general problem is that the T system was created by Leica and not Fuji or Sony or who else. This would have changed the perception of many obviously.

End of the day the T system is a welcomed addition to the Leica portfolio and also a for many a new entry point (or reentry again) into Leica. And this is great!

Paratom

Tom,

For some this seems to be the problem. Actually many others cannot care less about this. And it shows that some people are still very dependent on what review sites publish, although I must state that Dpreview is one of the best and most serious sites IMHO. But still not to take too serious, but this is another discussion.

For me the T system shows so many innovations (from Leica) that this is enough - and the test images I made with the Leica T and available lenses are just outstanding. I could not care less about if this is achieved with or without SW corrections. The results are outstanding!

But I think the general problem is that the T system was created by Leica and not Fuji or Sony or who else. This would have changed the perception of many obviously.

End of the day the T system is a welcomed addition to the Leica portfolio and also a for many a new entry point (or reentry again) into Leica. And this is great!
did you buy one?
I like straight forward user interfaces but I have tontry one first before I know if this kind of user interface works for me. I have no doubt about IQ from the experience with the x Vario and X2.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
did you buy one?
I like straight forward user interfaces but I have tontry one first before I know if this kind of user interface works for me. I have no doubt about IQ from the experience with the x Vario and X2.
I ordered a black one. The IQ, UI as well as the complete experience with the T is just outstanding ;)

Robert Campbell

Funny, that "boring ad." It's so boring that it's gone viral! ;)

I'd say it's genius, rather than boring. But definitely not for everyone... :D
And it's in today's Sunday Times in the Going Viral column. The ad is described as "Be dull, be proud...history's dreariest advertisement...so magnificently boring that the introductory voiceover suggests you stop watching after 52 seconds. See if you can last the pace at tinyurl.com/VeryDullFilm "

Double Negative

Not Available
Jeez, so much hate for the T. I guess everyone was expecting some sort of photographical panacea, a tour de force... I'm pretty sure I said in the beginning that this wasn't a camera for photographers. And it's not.

What it IS though, is a darn nice camera built on a (admittedly "dated") but solid performing sensor. While the design isn't Earth shattering (see: NEX), the execution sure is. It's a beautiful camera that's built like any other Leica. And the touchscreen, while also not new... Certainly is the BEST out there. C'mon, it's a cool camera...

But it's not for us. And that's okay.

Godfrey

Jeez, so much hate for the T. I guess everyone was expecting some sort of photographical panacea, a tour de force... I'm pretty sure I said in the beginning that this wasn't a camera for photographers. And it's not.

What it IS though, is a darn nice camera built on a (admittedly "dated") but solid performing sensor. While the design isn't Earth shattering (see: NEX), the execution sure is. It's a beautiful camera that's built like any other Leica. And the touchscreen, while also not new... Certainly is the BEST out there. C'mon, it's a cool camera...

Just another day on the T ... As the Stomach Turns.

Looks like our local Leica rep will be around at the*local camera shop on Thursday or Friday ... I'll try to get over to visit and see the Aluminum Brick. (BTW, he was in with the T on Friday, the sales guys told me they netted two or three paid pre-orders from his visit.)

Whether it's "not for us" I cannot say. Whether it's not for me, I'll know pretty fast once I see it. But I did put myself on the "notify me when in stock" list for a black one when my preferred Leica dealer gets some stock in shop.

Just in case, mind you. ;-)

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Been away but looking at this I simply see no value added reason to even consider this in my bag. But I look at these things differently I must admit. For me it's totally a ROI issue and performance issue. I simply don't buy glam cameras which this certainly is. I can see the appeal in some ways but for me its a turn off. I have to wear my reading glasses even more with this and let me say that is a royal PITA to begin with. Lol

But to each his own for sure. Its a typical Leica product that don't fit in there top end category like the M or S which leaves my interest at the door. Have fun folks and play nice. I got 4 days of solid shooting followed by a couple more. I'm busy YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe not a popular post by me but folks you need to think this through. It's really nothing more than a NEX with some very overpriced glass made in Japan. This is not really a Leica by M and S terms.

Last edited:

bradhusick

I find it surprising that so many people place such a high value on German manufacturing of lenses, discounting Japan's ability to do precise manufacturing. What leads you to believe that given the same set of specifications the German work can command a hefty price premium? Do we have any direct evidence of two identical lenses, one built in Germany and the other built in Japan, where the Japan lens is inferior?

My other question is: Are all cameras that use a 16MP Sony sensor "nothing more than a NEX"?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Been away but looking at this I simply see no value added reason to even consider this in my bag. But I look at these things differently I must admit. For me it's totally a ROI issue and performance issue. I simply don't buy glam cameras which this certainly is. I can see the appeal in some ways but for me its a turn off. I have to wear my reading glasses even more with this and let me say that is a royal PITA to begin with. Lol

But to each his own for sure. Its a typical Leica product that don't fit in there top end category like the M or S which leaves my interest at the door. Have fun folks and play nice. I got 4 days of solid shooting followed by a couple more. I'm busy YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe not a popular post by me but folks you need to think this through. It's really nothing more than a NEX with some very overpriced glass made in Japan. This is not really a Leica by M and S terms.
Guy

I hear you. And I am of course not here to convince you. You have totally different reasons for a camera (system) than many others.

For me this is a combination of high quality and all areas (maybe not topping others but I don't care), the great Leica look of the images, the possibility to use my M lens collection (even with crop 1.5) and finally the new concept and UI which is really something new. Plus if you just touch it it feels so GREAT :)

Anyway I understand your needs and with that in mind you are right it is nothing for you IMHO ;)

Guy Mancuso

I find it surprising that so many people place such a high value on German manufacturing of lenses, discounting Japan's ability to do precise manufacturing. What leads you to believe that given the same set of specifications the German work can command a hefty price premium? Do we have any direct evidence of two identical lenses, one built in Germany and the other built in Japan, where the Japan lens is inferior?

My other question is: Are all cameras that use a 16MP Sony sensor "nothing more than a NEX"?
Brad surprised you would say that of all people. But to answer that you are basically buying in effect a Hassy Lunar at 10k compared to a Sony a99 and in that case it's almost identical . Here yes more differences for sure over a Sony per say. Frankly I shoot a lot of Japanese glass so I don't put a high value on G vs J lens design and construction but again if I read it correctly the lenses are not made in a Leica factory. Now for one that has been to Solms and in there factory. They make some if the best glass around and charge a premium for it. Here you get the premium without it actually being made in a German optic factory. We all know anything out of canada that was made for Leica does not even come close to some of the same lenses made in Germany. That's the market and everyone seems to want German only. Did this somehow change overnight.

Guy Mancuso

You yourself make it a point if I'm not mistaken to say a lens you have for sale is a German version. I'm i wrong here or is there a new double standard on this cam. I would not even think about buying these lenses but buy M lenses as it's much more usable. I won't buy APS lenses myself

bradhusick

Guy,

I have to disagree with your comparison to Hassy Lunar. That's a silly cosmetics job. The Leica T is an engineered product from the ground up. The T is a modest premium over other APS-C cameras.

Yes, I agree that somehow the market puts a premium on German manufacturing, but I haven't seen anything scientific that backs up the attitude. I'd love to see some factual evidence. (When I list an item for sale I disclose as many facts about it as I can.)

One reason to buy T lenses is that they are autofocus. No M lens will ever be.

-Brad (proud owner of several marvelous M lenses, and no, I am not on the list for a T)

Guy Mancuso

AF or not I'm in the same boat with my Sonys buying the APS glass is limited to that format. I'm up against the same wall. BTW no offense as I was not trying to pin you to the wall but we all know people go after the German made optics over the Canadian ones for instance. I have no evidence myself if German glass is better or not over Japanese glass. But all you here about from Leica folks is the look of the German glass. Every Leica dealer uses that German optics marketing stuff all day long. So that part is real but is it really. I don't buy into that myself. My Zeiss glass is made in Japan and I love them.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
AF or not I'm in the same boat with my Sonys buying the APS glass is limited to that format. I'm up against the same wall. BTW no offense as I was not trying to pin you to the wall but we all know people go after the German made optics over the Canadian ones for instance. I have no evidence myself if German glass is better or not over Japanese glass. But all you here about from Leica folks is the look of the German glass. Every Leica dealer uses that German optics marketing stuff all day long. So that part is real but is it really. I don't buy into that myself. My Zeiss glass is made in Japan and I love them.
I think the "made in Germany" is highly overrated today. For example I myself cannot tell any difference between between German lenses and those manufactured in Japan, if they are manufactured up to the quality rules from Germany. Good examples are Zeiss lenses manufactured in Japan.

Or take the Fuji X lenses, they have no German counterpart, but they are at least on the same IQ level as coming from Germany. And keep in mind that also all Hasselblad H lenses are manufactured by Fuji in Japan. Just some examples.

I have the feeling that maybe Fuji also produces the new Leica T lenses. And this would be actually very good. Plus while manufactured in Japan the lenses are maybe half the price than manufactured in Germany. So this can only be to the benefit of the end user, at least as long as quality control is consistent. I have no doubt it is because the samples of the 23 and the 18-55 I tested on the Leica T (both JPEG and DNG developed in LR5.4) were EXCELLENT!

Terry

Can you explain what a camera for photographers is or means? What is the T missing? Does a camera need a zillion controls and buttons and an 800 page manual? Isn't being a photographer about what you see and how you capture the light?

Can a real real photographer create a winning image with a simple pinhole camera?

If there were one answer to what makes a good camera all cameras would be the same. However, we know that people are different and one tool doesn't fit all.

I like the T because it simplifies the camera back to the basic elements similar to the M's with the benefit of auto focus. But that I guess precludes me from being a real photographer.