The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica's new APS-C Interchangeable lens camera

Paratom

Thanks! I noticed that the T madness had settled out a bit too.

The review was pretty negative on a lot of things, although he did like using the camera a lot. The selection of pictures he showed ... um, er ... well, they were mostly boring crap but for one or two. Jono's photos are FAR better, and do a much better job of exciting people about the T.

My jury's out at the moment on buying one. I won't know whether I am in the market or not until I handle one and try a couple of lenses on it.

I do know one thing, though: I pulled out my X2 and did some shooting with it. It's going up for sale. Still makes beautiful photos, but I've gotten too used to the responsive shutter and controls of the E-M1 and A7 to deal with the X2's focusing speed (manual or automatic) and find its control dials fiddly and difficult to enjoy now, the E-M1 in particular. The E-M1 with 14mm or 17mm lenses fitted isn't that much bigger/heavier, is easier to hold, and is a totally different world of performance and capability.

G
I just feel the opposite..X2 is slow but I like that it is really a portable camera compared to many m43+lens options with a refreshing simple user interface. Only thing that bugs me is slow AF.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This review was just for nothing IMHO. Reviewing a camera and just being negative (at least most of the review sounded negative to me) is the wrong thing to do. Would have been better to do /say nothing.

I liked the Leica T very much while I handled it. Just the right size and actually I find the separate EVF a very good thing in the end. Plus it is VERY sharp - so one easily can use it for MF without any loupe. And having only what your need at your fingertips is finally a very appealing concept for me!

Yes it is pricier than comparable cameras, but I think it is worth it. Will it replace my D800e for serious work? Never! But also all the other mirror less cameras (EM1, XT1, A7xyz) cannot do this for me. So why not just have fun with an excellent camera for the rest of my photography life ....

Really looking forward to get mine in some 6 weeks from now :)

Terry

This review was just for nothing IMHO. Reviewing a camera and just being negative (at least most of the review sounded negative to me) is the wrong thing to do. Would have been better to do /say nothing.

I liked the Leica T very much while I handled it. Just the right size and actually I find the separate EVF a very good thing in the end. Plus it is VERY sharp - so one easily can use it for MF without any loupe. And having only what your need at your fingertips is finally a very appealing concept for me!

Yes it is pricier than comparable cameras, but I think it is worth it. Will it replace my D800e for serious work? Never! But also all the other mirror less cameras (EM1, XT1, A7xyz) cannot do this for me. So why not just have fun with an excellent camera for the rest of my photography life ....

Really looking forward to get mine in some 6 weeks from now :)
I don't think it is fair to say nothing if the reviewer finds things about the camera that are either not working or are unappealing. That being said while there were things he didn't like about the camera he does say that he enjoyed using it and it didn't ring as negative with me as it obviously has with you.

Godfrey

Conflating two comments,

I just got frustrated with the endless menus every time I picked up my Olympus.
I just feel the opposite..X2 is slow but I like that it is really a portable camera compared to many m43+lens options with a refreshing simple user interface. Only thing that bugs me is slow AF.
Hmm. Since I figured out and set up my E-M1 the way I wanted it to work (sometime last November, three weeks after I acquired it), I've barely touched the menu button to do anything other than format a card. I seem to dive into the X2 menus more often than that.

And of course, I'm not talking about using mFT cameras with a bunch of different lenses. Just one ... same FoV equivalent as the fixed-lens X2, 17mm.

But let's not let this digress into an mFT/X2 debate. I like the X2 still, but I am not fond of its poor responsiveness.

G

bradhusick

Many things that reviewer didn't like can be addressed in future firmware updates - that's one more thing that a mostly touch-screen camera can do.

I still haven't placed an order for a T.

scott kirkpatrick

T madness

I was also impressed with the ratio between the number of posts on this board and over at the LUF, to the number of T's in actual use (something between 2 reviewed for more than a month, 3-4 reviewed for about a week, and half a dozen handled in a store). But it got me thinking about the quality of pictures possible with an APS-C sensor without AA filter and a prime wide angle lens. And travel. Only a 35mm-eff lens is not quite wide enough for me.

So I bought a GR (on EBay).

scott

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

IMO, a review or critique should start with the 'things that are done well', and then continue to the 'things that could be improved'. If the reviewer has a bias, he/she should be aware of this and indicate it. What might be a snag to you might be a bonus for me.

Thus, I found Olympus frustrating because of the buttons which I could easily accidentally press and change things without realising until later what I'd done. But I'm sure that there are lots of people who prefer controlling things using buttons.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I don't think it is fair to say nothing if the reviewer finds things about the camera that are either not working or are unappealing. That being said while there were things he didn't like about the camera he does say that he enjoyed using it and it didn't ring as negative with me as it obviously has with you.
You are right, maybe "for nothing" was the wrong wording - should have said "pretty useless for me". Which I actually still find about this review. Especially since this guy usually does his reviews much better, less biased and I like how he does otherwise.

Anyway this will not change my opinion about the Leica T ;)

Paratom

Conflating two comments,

Hmm. Since I figured out and set up my E-M1 the way I wanted it to work (sometime last November, three weeks after I acquired it), I've barely touched the menu button to do anything other than format a card. I seem to dive into the X2 menus more often than that.

And of course, I'm not talking about using mFT cameras with a bunch of different lenses. Just one ... same FoV equivalent as the fixed-lens X2, 17mm.

But let's not let this digress into an mFT/X2 debate. I like the X2 still, but I am not fond of its poor responsiveness.

G
I probably have not spend enough time setting up my EM1. And then I have a bad memory...I don't remember what did I set up which button for. So I like if its written on the camera which button is responsible for which function.
Specially since I use various systems.
In this regard the T-system could eventually be easier for me to use.
Anyways. I will not make a decision before having handled it myself. My main problem is that I do like optical viewfinders so much.

wattsy

The labor costs in Germany (similar to Austria) for a specialized worker like this are at least €100.- per hour including all taxes, insurance, etc.
The bodies are polished in Portugal. Besides, even with social security taxes, cost of living, etc., I really doubt that Leica needs to pay a wage equivalent to €100 per hour to get people to polish a piece of metal with some emery paper. It's basic manual labour and will pay accordingly.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The bodies are polished in Portugal. Besides, even with social security taxes, cost of living, etc., I really doubt that Leica needs to pay a wage equivalent to €100 per hour to get people to polish a piece of metal with some emery paper. It's basic manual labour and will pay accordingly.
Who says that the body is polished in Portugal? And even then the costs are not really cheaper than Germany, especially not in Portugal.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Portuguese polishing? Hmmm... I kind of expected this important work to be performed by a German Doktor-Ingenieur, one who has studied camera polishing for at least a couple of decades at a respected Technische Hochschule. How will this severe and rather shocking blunder affect image quality, I wonder... :facesmack: