The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom Image Problem

250swb

By the look it is an artefact caused by the extreme wide angle lens and flare. Myself I wouldn't immediately think it is a Monochrom problem but a lens problem, or at least an expectation issue. But without any details at all solutions are difficult to suggest. JPEG or .dng? If a JPEG is in-camera sharpening turned up, high ISO as well maybe, things that together can cause artefacts in any camera. Has the lens been cleaned with anything that could leave a layer on the surface? Does the lens work normally in daylight? etc. etc.
:)

Steve

fotografz

I've seen a similar moiré like pattern like this in shadow areas when I've shot at higher ISO and really pushed the post work and sharpening to far … I think maybe the heightened noise structure becomes a pattern just like a fabric, and can moire'.

However, I can't say I've seen anything nearly as bad as this.

- Marc

JPL

I would not be surprised if this happens only when you aply the lens correction in lightroom... I had that sometimes with a 35 lux fle...

JPH

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I would not be surprised if this happens only when you aply the lens correction in lightroom... I had that sometimes with a 35 lux fle...

JPH
Woody Campbell showed a similar pattern that was indeed due to the LR lens correction a while back.

Bob

erudolph

Thanks for all your thoughts. Sorry for not initially giving the details but that was intentional. The shot was a DNG shot at ISO 5000 at 1/24 sec on a 21mm Summilux wide open and pushed 1.9 stops in LightRoom. The jpg in the original post was post-processed to make the problem obvious.

I've had the 21mm Summilux on the MM almost 100% of the time since getting it late last year and have recently noticed this moire in the lowlights of underexposed shots at ISOs beginning around 1250. Sent a couple of jpgs off to Leica USA asking their advice and am curious to see what they have to say!

As JPL and DocMoore mentioned (and I'd forgotten), Woody Campbell brought this up some while ago. As I recall, Woody was also shooting mostly with an ultra wide (18mm) at the time. It seems this nasty pattern you see above is indeed an artifact of LR's Lens Correction being enabled.

Thanks!

turtle

I had something similar (once) on my MM at ISO 2500. I never saw it again. I put it down to lens correction in LR. It took me a while to notice the pattern in the blacks and then they were easily exaggerated as you have done.