The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW S 40/50 MP CMOS

peterv

I agree with most that's been said these last few posts. The IQ of my S2P is gorgeous and I'm afraid a CMOS version will not have the look we've all come to appreciate over the last years.

What will probably not happen, but I'd personally like, is a second S line with big sensel CMOS for reportage. One high res CCD S, one high ISO CMOS. That would bring versatility to the system. (of course AF and such would not be in the D4 league, but I'd take that for granted)

BTW, did you guys see the new S Magazine? It's been available for download on the iPad since yesterday.

fotografz

Marc,even if the new sensor is 50mp it still wouldn't be that noticeable a difference compared to 37.5mp,it's a 15% increase,useable high ISO might be useful though..

I think if I have a choice of the new body or the 30-90 lens I would take the lens..

Rob
Me too Rob.

While I am mostly a prime lens shooter, the 30-90 would extend usage of the S2-P as a one lens travel/walk about.

Since I am in process of securing a residence in South Florida, winters will be filled with light rather than the Moscow grey skies for 6 months here in Michigan. This past winter was brutal, and the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Never again.:thumbdown:

Of course that means I have no money to get the 30-90.:ROTFL:

- Marc

fotografz

One thing I would like to improved is that AF locks faster. IMO it is not faster in the S (C-AF has improved though) As a handheld shooter better high ISO would extend the usability of the S for me.
However I also would not want any compromises in color/IQ at lower iso like you other guys say.
Maybe it is having used MFD for a decade, or the way I tend to shoot and pick my AF target, but I do not have any issues with lock-on … with the exception of the 120/2.5 Macro which is like a trained bird dog that loves to hunt.:) However, I rarely use that lens in AF mode.

I still use the Hasselblad HC100/2.2 via the H to S adapter for shallow DOF portrait work, and that lens locks pretty fast. Much shorter focus throw than the CS 120, and the f/2.2 aperture probably helps with the AF.

- Marc

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I agree with most that's been said these last few posts. The IQ of my S2P is gorgeous and I'm afraid a CMOS version will not have the look we've all come to appreciate over the last years.

What will probably not happen, but I'd personally like, is a second S line with big sensel CMOS for reportage. One high res CCD S, one high ISO CMOS. That would bring versatility to the system. (of course AF and such would not be in the D4 league, but I'd take that for granted)

BTW, did you guys see the new S Magazine? It's been available for download on the iPad since yesterday.
There is a B&W video clip on the iPad version of the S Magazine. Maybe the new CMOS S will have the video capability.

peterv

Thanks, I had missed that. Video in the iPad App has been done before, for example in the Jonathan Mannion New Orleans reportage, a few years back. It's a nice feature of the App software they use.

If Leica could only use the new Sony 7s sensor and make a nice ~18 MP reportage S with video. Argh, won't happen.