Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 136

Thread: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

  1. #51
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Lenses might be good but they need a better designed body. Aluminum is a poor choice especially in colder climates. Ugly as hell too, Leica can do and has done better. This is not functional design, this is form over function.

    Touchscreen might attract the iPhone generation but is generally a bad idea. Cold climate again - in below freezing temps you have to wear gloves because that aluminum body gets so fricking cold but then you cannot use the touchscreen. Seriously, Leica?

    Looking forward to seeing a better design in the T2.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Guy, Lonnie - I reckon it is based on that 3n sensor - but that has an AA filter and this doesn't (would that make it cheaper still?). I suspect the cover glass is different, but either way the sensor is not going to be the expensive part of this camera.

    But as John points out - we only seem to get 85% of what we want (except for the OMD of course, which does really seem to tick all the boxes . . . but nobody wants it

    On the other hand, it is different to have two buttons and two dials, and the arguments against all seem very familiar . . . they seem rather like the arguments that greeted the iphone a few years ago . . . . which was also an imperfect design, but did lead to something that wasn't.

    Nobody has to buy it if they don't want to, as Lonnie pointed out, the cost/performance ratio isn't that great . but Leica clearly isn't directing it at people for whom the cost/performance benefit is relevant. . but perhaps the completely different user model is a step in a good direction.

    Whatever - read all the reviews, there is a pretty universal nod to the whole touch screen/no dials buttons concept - Old hands like Michael Reichmann said it was like a camera Apple would design, and that he'd never called a camera sexy before.

    Only time will tell whether it was a good idea or a bad idea, but Leica have created a useful and sensible new lens mount - certainly big enough for a full frame sensor (whereas the Sony E mount is clearly very marginal). It plays well with M lenses (which is important to some), and it's a nice object (which is important to others).

    All the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Well it's no fun if we don't give Leica a little hard time. Keeps them on there toes or is it on there touchscreen. Lol

    It does look like a new gen type cam. We are just old farts my friend. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well it's no fun if we don't give Leica a little hard time. Keeps them on there toes or is it on there touchscreen. Lol

    It does look like a new gen type cam. We are just old farts my friend. Lol
    Hah! I need to be kept on my toes too Guy - it's good for this old fart! (and I'm an older fart than you! although, of course, much less smelly )

    Truth is, personally, I've learned so much about people and attitudes doing this stuff - not just in terms of forums. It's a buzz trying to keep good tempered and friendly over 5 forums and half a dozen facebook groups. . . and not to offend anyone either.

    I realise lots of people see me just as a fanboy, but 6 months testing a camera and sounding off to Leica about the things that should be changed (you should see some of the emails) and you get kind of fond of it! I really do think it's an interesting and different camera, and that MUST be a good thing . . . although it doesn't necessarily make it a good camera. Or worth the money either!

    Unlike reviewers, I'm not really in a position to write a scathing report . . . BUT I'm absolutely at my liberty to write no report at all - I'm not paid for this by anyone . . . . .

    Although in this case lots of people have been really generous, and currently we've raised over £4000 for Scarlett's hospital - so a BIG thanks to everyone who's donated.

    .. . . and also a big thank you to you and Jack and Bob for having such a great forum.

    Right - I'm knackered - off to bed!

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    I love new product launches like this... They make me realize just how much I (still) love my M9/MM.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hah! I need to be kept on my toes too Guy - it's good for this old fart! (and I'm an older fart than you! although, of course, much less smelly )

    Truth is, personally, I've learned so much about people and attitudes doing this stuff - not just in terms of forums. It's a buzz trying to keep good tempered and friendly over 5 forums and half a dozen facebook groups. . . and not to offend anyone either.

    I realise lots of people see me just as a fanboy, but 6 months testing a camera and sounding off to Leica about the things that should be changed (you should see some of the emails) and you get kind of fond of it! I really do think it's an interesting and different camera, and that MUST be a good thing . . . although it doesn't necessarily make it a good camera. Or worth the money either!

    Unlike reviewers, I'm not really in a position to write a scathing report . . . BUT I'm absolutely at my liberty to write no report at all - I'm not paid for this by anyone . . . . .

    Although in this case lots of people have been really generous, and currently we've raised over £4000 for Scarlett's hospital - so a BIG thanks to everyone who's donated.

    .. . . and also a big thank you to you and Jack and Bob for having such a great forum.

    Right - I'm knackered - off to bed!
    Well if some charity has benefitted than its all worth it. I did this awhile back like you to some degree and those emails sent where not laced with perfume either. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    (1) In colder climates, there are now "special" gloves for use with touch screens. Don't know if they work or are warm, however.

    (2) The T 's interface is potentially nice, and I now wonder if we will see a new S at Photokinia with a touch screen interface (and the top panel buttons/knobs). That might be a great "hybrid" design. Similar to what Phase tried, but more
    ergonomically sound.

    (3) With Leica, it is the glass, the glass, the glass. You buy the body
    only for the best use of the glass. The leica lenses have a unique draw
    and character that I like and prefer. From what I read, M lenses mounted
    on other brands do not function "quite up to spec". If they do reach spec
    on the T, that gives the camera some appeal. Personally, I would like to
    have seen a full size sensor and faster lenses, but then, the size and
    probably the price would be at the level of a M series and there would
    be less differentiation in the product line.

    It should have been weather sealed however at this price!

  8. #58
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    I think it's exciting to see a new design like this. Whether it works is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ...
    Only time will tell whether it was a good idea or a bad idea, but Leica have created a useful and sensible new lens mount - certainly big enough for a full frame sensor (whereas the Sony E mount is clearly very marginal). It plays well with M lenses (which is important to some), and it's a nice object (which is important to others).
    If they made it a FF sensor, I'd be more interested as then a) it would do what I want with my Leica R lenses, and b) I know for a fact that Leica will develop the system further with regards to lenses whereas I'm never sure that Sony will pay attention long enough to get to a "next compatible model."

    (Yes, I have an A7, but I have very little faith in Sony's ability to develop anything consistently past the first 90 days bottom line...)

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #59
    Senior Member Y.B.Hudson III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My helmet is baseball bat proof. My wife has yet to penetrate it yet and she has had a zillion chances. LOL
    Got a lot of dings though.

    We need to remember price and value are not exactly one in the same and in most cases they are not. IMHO anything under a M240 or M9 is not worth the price. Just too many other products out there that just outrun it. I want a leica Monochrome as i see that has value to me. Price who cares I want it.
    Yehh, if you can't spell "monochrom" you probably can't @FFord it?

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    If it works well with the M lenses, esp 28'cron and 21SE then it may be worth it next year when the price has fallen to $1,200 or so. Unless Sony comes out with a pocket medium format camera that can take S2 lenses via adapter by then.

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This was posted on Sony Rumors. Is this true about the sensor.

    and I quote

    ell, Leica knows how to make ane exclusive camera! They just announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera ($1800 here at BHphoto). It has the same 16 Megapixel sensor of the $398 NEX-3n. But the NEX-3n comes with a lens while the Leica T does not. And the (slow!) Leica T kit zoom costs another $1750.

    Thanks. I finally tracked down the reference. Here it is.
    What happens if you put a Sony sensor inside a block of aluminum? You will get a $1800 Leica camera | sonyalpharumors
    or here
    What happens if you put a Sony sensor inside a block of aluminum? You will get a $1800 Leica camera Foto News | Foto News

    If this rumor this incorrect then Leica needs to publicly state so, me thinks.

    When Hasselblad did a similar play IIRC they chose to work off the Sony NEX-7.

    Well, for now I think I'll stick with my NEX-5N, NEX-7, A7R and a few other cameras like E-M5, E-M1, M-9, and D800E. The new Lytro Illum though looks interesting, but they need to be forthcoming with more details.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 24th April 2014 at 22:31.
    With best regards, K-H.

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    No CA
    Posts
    795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    To turn me on, it needed an optical+EVF viewfinder like X100s. So I don't plan on reading any more posts about it.

    Kirk
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #63
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Kirk, not one of the cameras I own has an optical+EVF viewfinder and yet I love shooting with them. Personal choices.
    Brad Husick

  14. #64
    Member animefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    After viewing several initial impressions and sample photos today, I was impressed and just I pre-ordered mine. Looks like I'll be getting the 23mm f/2 Summicron ASPH, M mount adapter, EVF, and the Leica T camera itself.

    I always thought the X Vario had better color than the M240. There is also nearly as good ISO and a nice crispness there. This camera basically has interchangeable lenses, but faster more accurate autofocus, and a better design in my opinion.

    I can't see this replacing the M8 as my favorite camera, but I think it's definitely going to be special and change the way new cameras are designed in the long run.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    So they put the usual and slightly old in the tooth 16MP Sony aps-c sensor into an Apple inspired soap bar shaped Aluminum unibody and borrow Samsung`s touch screen controlled UI to call it a USD 1900 Leica body sans EVF. Where is the technological innovation, Leica? The one we enjoyed with the M9, the first FF compact, the X1, the first aps-c jacket pocket solution?

    Now one thing I have to give to Leica. The pre-launch activities and beta-product testing period with this camera seems to be very well thought out and far from the rather clumsy Leica XV product positioning attempts.

  16. #66
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Well I of course did not handle one, but even without while comparing to for example Fuji XT1 and standard zoom I am disappointed by the Leica. I had hoped for more if it is roughly 2x the price of the Fuji - and just haptics and feeling does not do it for me alone.

    At least they could have gone with a state of the art sensor with PDAF and also better high ISO. Or even they could have gone with a FF model.

    Also the price of the lenses is ridiculously high - a 2/23 (35 equivalent) for 2k - this mimics a 2/35 Summicron - come on this is not really making me excited. At least I had expected a 1.4 version for that price - even if it is Leica!

    I will handle one as soon as I have the opportunity but cannot imagine I will get inspired to buy one .....
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #67
    Senior Member Elderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ............... but 6 months testing a camera and sounding off to Leica about the things that should be changed (you should see some of the emails) ...........
    !
    That's a very flattering and privileged position to be in, the ultra ultracrepidarian endorsement .
    Did L make any software changes during your test period and do you think/ know that they will introduce modifications because of your (and other testers?) input?
    Ian.

  18. #68
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    That's a very flattering and privileged position to be in, the ultra ultracrepidarian endorsement .
    Did L make any software changes during your test period and do you think/ know that they will introduce modifications because of your (and other testers?) input?
    Hi Ian - I"d like to think that I get the cameras because I'm such a great photographer, but I think it's more to do with being ultracrepidarian!

    I've had three different bodies (hardware changes) and infinite firmware revisions, and it is unquestionably true that changes are made because of the tester's feedback (including mine) - Sometimes they don't get done until a firmware revision, sometimes they get done with the released firmware.

    Leica really do listen - more so these days - but it isn't simple, as one man's obvious requirement is another man's anathema - and they're trying not to make it complicated.

    It's fascinating, but it is also hard work!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #69
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Hmm, if Jono is an ultracrepidarian, what does this make me? What's even more so on the scale?

    BTW, I find that "reviews" written by people who are photographers much more informative than ones that are full of technical detail; it's much easier to get a handle on things—especially as in my part of the sticks there are no anyway local Leica dealers. Thanks, Jono.
    Sláinte

    Robert.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Jono, one function that you and Sean Reid really can serve is to keep Leica's marketspeak from running away from engineering reality (and also photographer's reality). I recall in the M8 days Leica was extremely reluctant to explain how their files were compressed (lossy, by a simple algorithm that was quickly identified by a Russian blogger). This time around, Leica is saying to all who ask that they correct distortion optically, not in software, but Sean Reid (with Sandy McGuffog's AccuRaw software) finds this is not true. The 23/2.0-2.8 prime does correct some quite visible barrel distortion in software. The lovely m43 PanaLeica 25/1.4 also has considerable barrel distortion which must be corrected in software, so maybe this isn't terrible. It will, however, mean that once again the choice of raw conversion software that is used will introduce important variations in the results with the T.

    Another interesting aspect that Sean exposes in his review is that the 23 TCron focuses incredibly close, but with an interesting restriction -- the maximum aperture starts changing from 2.0 at 0.5m and drops as low as 2.8. 0.5 meters! Modern Leica RF lenses stop at 0.7 m for obvious reasons like parallax error, and the 35/1.4 FLE uses its FLEs to get there without focus shift problems. But how close does the new effective 35mm focus on the T and how do you like the results?

    All that grumbling aside, I viewed Andreas Kaufmann's Zen meditation video, and the 45 minute conceptual art piece on polishing a machined block of aluminum with a mixture of horror, amusement, and admiration. That's the style!

    scott
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    ....
    Now one thing I have to give to Leica. The pre-launch activities and beta-product testing period with this camera seems to be very well thought out and far from the rather clumsy Leica XV product positioning attempts.
    The beta test period effort for the T seems like exactly what was done to make the M[240] launch relatively trouble-free. And there was some of that happening in the M9 pre-launch period, although it seemed to get jumbled up with an effort to collect celebrity endorsements that time. (Remember Seal?)

    scott

  22. #72
    Senior Member Elderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Ian - I"d like to think that I get the cameras because I'm such a great photographer, but I think it's more to do with being ultracrepidarian!
    Duh I must read what I write more carefully!!!!

    I meant to say the "Ultimate anticrepidarian" - Sorry. :can't find the embarrassed smilie:
    Ian.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    This may prove to be the first genuinely viable alternative for those of us who choose to shoot wider M lenses on the Ricoh GXR-M and, for various reasons, prefer not to shoot on a Leica M body. It'll probably be cheaper than the Sony A7s, body only, always assuming that camera will produce better wide angle M lens results across the board than it's A7 stablemates. Good news I reckon.
    And isn't it nice to see a straightforward camera launch, devoid of the sort of deceptive marketing hype that so unnecessarily accompanied the introduction of the X-Vario. Well done, Leica.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    This may prove to be the first genuinely viable alternative for those of us who choose to shoot wider M lenses on the Ricoh GXR-M and, for various reasons, prefer not to shoot on a Leica M body. It'll probably be cheaper than the Sony A7s, body only, always assuming that camera will produce better wide angle M lens results across the board than it's A7 stablemates. Good news I reckon.
    Sure it will. But then your wides are no longer very wide. A 21mm is cropped to 32mm, for example.

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    And a 15mm voigtlander is cropped to 22.5mm. Plenty wide enough for me.

  26. #76
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    And a 15mm voigtlander is cropped to 22.5mm. Plenty wide enough for me.
    I don't think profiles for non Leica lenses will be supported.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  27. #77
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Never going to happen not while they are trying to sell T lenses they won't
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  28. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hurst, Texas (DFW area)
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I guess for me it is all about user interface. As Jono has pointed out in his write-ups a good camera to me is one that you can pick up after a period of time and there isn't a learning curve over and over again. My Leica M's were like that and after that the Fuji's have come closest. I own and Olympus and I feel like I'm starting from scratch every time I pick it up.

    So, a body can have all the functionality in the world and still be a fail to me.
    Exactly so. I am about to replace an ancient Panasonic G1 with a newer M4/3 body. Given that any M4/3 lens will mount on any M4/3 body and the differences in IQ are not all that great, THE USER INTERFACE IS THE DEAL BREAKER/MAKER. I'm tired of re-reading the user manual.

    Paul

  29. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I don't think profiles for non Leica lenses will be supported.
    Bummer. Ah well, back to the drawing board...Again!

  30. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    I'm actually more interested in the T lenses than this body. I'm hoping a body will be developed that has a proper internal EVF in the left corner.
    ---
    Ken
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #81
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    Bummer. Ah well, back to the drawing board...Again!
    Yeah non Leica lenses aren't supported in the M bodies although you can choose lens profiles to be applied in camera. Some work better than others and it's really not quite as big of a deal for lenses 50mm or longer. For the wides though your only choices to select would probably be the WATE or 18SE that's close to a 15mm. You could choose a different lens profile in LR theoretically if supported such as a Rokinon 14 or a Zeiss 15 in Canon/ Nikon mount theoretically. Don't know how well that would work though.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #82
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I'm actually more interested in the T lenses than this body. I'm hoping a body will be developed that has a proper internal EVF in the left corner.
    I would be very careful in buying APC size lenses as that paints you into a corner on usage. You can't use them on full frame. Here I would be buying M lenses with the adapter as you can take M lenses in any direction. m bodies, Sony bodies or whatever you can bolt them onto. APC lenses at these costs is a little dangerous as in this case you only get a T camera out of them. These lenses are priced fairly high and you could probably do better buying used M lenses in the same equivalent focal lengths.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #83
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    So they put the usual and slightly old in the tooth 16MP Sony aps-c sensor into an Apple inspired soap bar shaped Aluminum unibody and borrow Samsung`s touch screen controlled UI to call it a USD 1900 Leica body sans EVF. Where is the technological innovation, Leica? The one we enjoyed with the M9, the first FF compact, the X1, the first aps-c jacket pocket solution?

    Now one thing I have to give to Leica. The pre-launch activities and beta-product testing period with this camera seems to be very well thought out and far from the rather clumsy Leica XV product positioning attempts.
    The touch screen interface is light-years ahead of the Samsung Android mess. Someone actually thought about UI on the T rather than slapping a phone on the back of a camera. The T is very innovative - the unibody, the fact there are no buttons on the back, the M adapter with 6-bit, the strap system, etc.

    I, for one, like the results I see with the AA-less Sony sensor combined with Leica glass.

    It is cheap compared to other systems? No. Is Leica EVER going for that position? Nope.
    Brad Husick
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #84
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Kerfoot View Post
    .. THE USER INTERFACE IS THE DEAL BREAKER/MAKER. I'm tired of re-reading the user manual.

    Paul
    Quite so.
    Sláinte

    Robert.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #85
    Member Armanius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Hmm, if Jono is an ultracrepidarian, what does this make me? What's even more so on the scale?

    BTW, I find that "reviews" written by people who are photographers much more informative than ones that are full of technical detail; it's much easier to get a handle on things—especially as in my part of the sticks there are no anyway local Leica dealers. Thanks, Jono.
    I had to look up "ultracrepidarian"!!!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

  36. #86
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Hell I can't even spell it never mind know what it means. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  37. #87
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Kirk, not one of the cameras I own has an optical+EVF viewfinder and yet I love shooting with them. Personal choices.
    That's how I felt until I recently got an X Pro1. Sure is nice to be back on an OVF. Like cleaning dirty glasses. I didn't realize how much I missed that after several years of EVF only. If anyone should offer an OVF, it would be Leica. But that's obviously not a necessity of this camera's target market.

    John

  38. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Jono, one function that you and Sean Reid really can serve is to keep Leica's marketspeak from running away from engineering reality (and also photographer's reality). I recall in the M8 days Leica was extremely reluctant to explain how their files were compressed (lossy, by a simple algorithm that was quickly identified by a Russian blogger). This time around, Leica is saying to all who ask that they correct distortion optically, not in software, but Sean Reid (with Sandy McGuffog's AccuRaw software) finds this is not true. The 23/2.0-2.8 prime does correct some quite visible barrel distortion in software. The lovely m43 PanaLeica 25/1.4 also has considerable barrel distortion which must be corrected in software, so maybe this isn't terrible. It will, however, mean that once again the choice of raw conversion software that is used will introduce important variations in the results with the T.

    Another interesting aspect that Sean exposes in his review is that the 23 TCron focuses incredibly close, but with an interesting restriction -- the maximum aperture starts changing from 2.0 at 0.5m and drops as low as 2.8. 0.5 meters! Modern Leica RF lenses stop at 0.7 m for obvious reasons like parallax error, and the 35/1.4 FLE uses its FLEs to get there without focus shift problems. But how close does the new effective 35mm focus on the T and how do you like the results?

    All that grumbling aside, I viewed Andreas Kaufmann's Zen meditation video, and the 45 minute conceptual art piece on polishing a machined block of aluminum with a mixture of horror, amusement, and admiration. That's the style!

    scott
    For those interested, I've put up a blog post about the Leica T's DNG format. It does indeed contain lens correction data, in the form of DNG opcodes:

    ChromaSoft: Leica T (Typ 701) raw file (DNG) analysis

    Sandy
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #89
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by sandymc View Post
    For those interested, I've put up a blog post about the Leica T's DNG format. It does indeed contain lens correction data, in the form of DNG opcodes:

    ChromaSoft: Leica T (Typ 701) raw file (DNG) analysis

    Sandy
    Great! That's one of the things that's been a boon in Micro-FourThirds.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Jono, I really enjoyed reading your impressions on the T. I also enjoyed your images as well - all 90 of them.

    I very glad that Leica makes the effort to put the camera in the hands of photographers such as yourself well in advance to help sort it out. You make a good Alpha tester and I venture to bet that some of your feedback made it into the final camera and some other bits may come in future firmware updates. You are a good choice for Leica to use as an Alpha tester because you use (at least for a little while) a lot of different cameras and have a good feel for what works. You always have a pleasant demeanor in the forums not matter how much bashing is directed toward you or your review/opinion. I don't know how you maintain your cool so well. It hasn't been bad for the release of the T, but that can't be said for other releases.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #91
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    noticed a nice feature: the EVF can rotate 90 degrees for waist level shooting
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    I see that David Farkas has posted his review of the Leica T.

    Link to review
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NYC / Fairfield, CT
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Hello all, I got a chance to play with the Leica T-Type today at the Leica Store Soho in NYC, I made a quick overview showing off this camera in the flesh and how it functions.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsnB_bS5Lo

    If you head over to my website (linked in the video) you will soon (within the hour) be able to see sample images from the camera as well.

    Best,
    BH
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #94
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Jono, I really enjoyed reading your impressions on the T. I also enjoyed your images as well - all 90 of them.

    I very glad that Leica makes the effort to put the camera in the hands of photographers such as yourself well in advance to help sort it out. You make a good Alpha tester and I venture to bet that some of your feedback made it into the final camera and some other bits may come in future firmware updates. You are a good choice for Leica to use as an Alpha tester because you use (at least for a little while) a lot of different cameras and have a good feel for what works. You always have a pleasant demeanor in the forums not matter how much bashing is directed toward you or your review/opinion. I don't know how you maintain your cool so well. It hasn't been bad for the release of the T, but that can't be said for other releases.
    Thank You Mark
    I'm very flattered. As for keeping my cool, as you say, this time it's been easy, but not always. I learned that the only way to keep my blood pressure down was to remain pally and cheerful. I'm ashamed to say that I do resort to a bit of irony sometimes . It's actually quite a good lesson in life.

    To be fair though-if you go and look at comments sections in newspapers etc. the amount of stick I've had is really very very minimal!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  45. #95
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Hi Jono,
    thanks for the great write up!
    I do like the images I see on your site and on others from the T.
    Small question: How is autos implementation? Is it possible to set 1/125 or 1/250 as longest shutter time in auto iso?

    As someone liking riding the bike and going to the beach and goin on hikes I also agree biggest downside for me would be that its not weatherproof. I just have used my pentax k5iis on the beach without being afraid, but I might be afraid when doing the same with the T. Not so much about water/moist but more about dust/sand/dirt.

    The 2 lenses offered would cover 85% of my needs. The 2 announced zooms (wide and tele) and then we just need a portrait prime (I am sure there will be one one day).

    The interface....I would have preferred an interface ala X-Vario but think have to have the camera in my hands to see if it could work for me or not.

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Hi Jono,
    thanks for the great write up!
    I do like the images I see on your site and on others from the T.

    The interface....I would have preferred an interface ala X-Vario but think have to have the camera in my hands to see if it could work for me or not.
    Hi There Tom
    I'm afraid that, knowing you, you are completely doomed - you might as well just place the order now, it'll avoid waiting later on when you've got one in your hands.

    I've been out shooting today with the 23 f2 and no EVF - just snapping away. the interface really rocks for this especially - and the images are just good (whatever the technical shortcomings might be).

    Just this guy you know

  47. #97
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Jono & Tom,

    I of course had no chance to handle the T so far, but I do like what I see. Many thanks Jono for your (as always great) review (or should I better call it thoughts )

    Must say after first restraints I finally am getting impressed and start lusting for this beautiful system. Have no doubts IQ will be great and AF will be on par with Fuji (which I can live with). But only the Leica offers that cool design and so this might easily become my go to camera for everyday use!

    I am struggling to find the info about the 2 planned zooms mentioned somewhere in this thread, so could you send pointers please? Sorry if I missed it.

  48. #98
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Tom
    I'm afraid that, knowing you, you are completely doomed - you might as well just place the order now, it'll avoid waiting later on when you've got one in your hands.

    I've been out shooting today with the 23 f2 and no EVF - just snapping away. the interface really rocks for this especially - and the images are just good (whatever the technical shortcomings might be).
    I don't know why I am such a foolish Leica fanboy...but often hard to resist their products for me. I still believe most of their cams/lens combinations produce the best color for my taste. Something with pop/saturation but still looking natural.
    And they have normally user interfaces which are simple which is good for me.

    However in this case I wish they would also offer a weatherproof rubberized version besides the apple-audi-shiny version. If I get one then I want to use it, and not just on sunny sunday afternoon city walks.

    Guess I could become weak anyways ;(

  49. #99
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I don't know why I am such a foolish Leica fanboy...but often hard to resist their products for me. I still believe most of their cams/lens combinations produce the best color for my taste. Something with pop/saturation but still looking natural.
    And they have normally user interfaces which are simple which is good for me.

    However in this case I wish they would also offer a weatherproof rubberized version besides the apple-audi-shiny version. If I get one then I want to use it, and not just on sunny sunday afternoon city walks.

    Guess I could become weak anyways ;(
    I think you can get the nice rubberized covers in all different colors, so this would at least solve the weatherproof problem partly. But maybe Leica will bring a weatherproof version anyway later.

  50. #100
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

    Long time lurker....I hope you won't mind me participating in this discussion.

    I'm quite concerned about the aluminum body. Aluminum is a terrific thermal conductor and will match the temperature of its surroundings rather quickly. Yet, because of the mass of this block of aluminum, it will exhibit some thermal hysteresis. So, should you take the camera from an air conditioned hotel room outside to a warm humid atmosphere, it very well may become slippery and noticeably moist in the hand. I can imagine water condensing on the surface of the body. Moreover, in a cold environment, it might feel like holding an ice cube and you might even experience a frosty surface.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •