The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica T - Impressions and Images

jonoslack

Hi There Everyone
I've been a little quiet over the last few weeks, and the Leica T is why!

I've had a camera since October - putting it through it's paces and helping Leica to iron out the bugs in the firmware.

I really have no idea how the camera is going to be received, either by us (the Internet Chatterati) or by Leica users in general.

What I do know is that this is a different kind of a camera - Leica have really tried to make a camera which is both simple and sophisticated, small and very high quality. In that respect I think they've succeeded.

Perhaps what's more interesting is the whole concept of the T mount - I was very much of the opinion that Leica were mad not to join in with µ43, after all, they already had the link with Panasonic, and it would be an excellent way for them to sell lenses to a large demographic, and some tasty expensive bodies.

Now I'm definitely feeling differently. The T mount is intriguing, for example, it's bigger than the Sony E mount (45mm against 50mm) leaving the obvious possibility for a full frame camera later on. Both R and M lenses work really well.

Superficially the camera looks like a Samsung NX300 or a NEX 7 - but you really do need to feel it to get a handle on the build quality.

I'm sure that some will disappointed that it doesn't have a built in EVF - others (like me) will be disappointed that it it isn't weather sealed, and that it doesn't have IBIS.

On the other hand, this is a solid solid body, and the shutter is very quiet, just a snick, handholding is really easy, even with telephoto lenses.

Whatever - I've done a little write up

. . . . worth mentioning, that It's our little grand-daughter's first birthday on Saturday, and I have to do a 100km bike ride for charity - in aid of the hospital that looked after her for the first 10 weeks of her life:

All the very best to all the very best!

Now - Let The Discussion Begin!

scott kirkpatrick

Congratulations on your very interesting past six months, and your next 100 km of cycling! There's a lot to read, if you, Sean Reid, and Ming Thein have all been working over the T and writing up your initial reactions. I have to go look to see if Ming has got his into the shower yet.

I still don't understand how you got an X, Y, Z, two Ms and your T into the same camera bag or even the same cupboard.

It will be interesting to see which of the more advanced touch screen gestures start to become standard controls. Can you imagine a day in which we all just know that to call upon HDR features requires a "swish and a flick," just like at Hogwarts?

scott

peterb

Hi Jono,

From what little I've seen and from what I've read so far all I can say is I definitely want it. It's a solidly made (literally) camera that while for some may seem pricey, I see it as a good, unobtrusive (in black anyway) walk about camera with superb optics, a promising large enough, sensor (and no AA filter) with promising higher ISO IQ, and sufficiently quick and accurate focussing that I've missed since I sold off my M6.

I just purchased a new camera but I will prob ably sell all to invest in this.

JMaher

Jono,

Great write-up.

I'll need to see one in person but since I don't already have a cabinet of M lenses to play with it looks like I will probably pass. The interface seems very impressive and image quality I am confident will be there. The lack of a larger sensor and IS seem to be the limiting factors. I need (ok want) a FF sensor on the next camera I buy.

However kudos to Leica. They seem to have created a new paradigm shift with the user interface and the overall design is very tempting.

Jim

JJB

Thanks, Jono, for your insightful review.

I am especially intrigued by your comment that the size of the T mount is large enough to accomodate a full frame sensor in the future. ;)

If the T pricing is merely "premium" level and not downright "predatory," then I think I will order one. :grin:

mmbma

Great write up. I like the 1.5x factor. It's like having a newer M8 together with your M9 or M240. So that 50mm 1.4 will turn into a nice 75mm 1.4 for portraits!

What I wonder is if the T lenses can be used (manually) on M bodies with an adapter. It'll be great to have that Zoom for the M.

jonoslack

Great write up. I like the 1.5x factor. It's like having a newer M8 together with your M9 or M240. So that 50mm 1.4 will turn into a nice 75mm 1.4 for portraits!

What I wonder is if the T lenses can be used (manually) on M bodies with an adapter. It'll be great to have that Zoom for the M.
Nice idea, but it wouldn't work because the difference between the rear element and the lens is so much closer on the T - you'd need a negative adapter!

Armanius

Nice write up Jono! Thank you!

I'm actually somewhat enthusiastic about the T. The enthusiasm is dampened by the pricing, which is expected. But the price of the lenses hurts more than forking out $1800 for the body. Optically perfect glass is great. But psychologically for me, it's hard to ever want to cough up $2000+ for slow zoom lenses, however perfect they may be.

iiiNelson

I think this is a good option for those who want a backup to their M body and comes at about the same price as a A7r when purchased with the M lens adapter.

The T mount lenses seem to be very overpriced for the intended audience especially considering how many complaints I've heard regarding Sony FE lens pricing but I will keep my eye out for the next version which will hopefully have a built in EVF. Removable EVF's don't work for me personally and maybe came with this a year or two too late for me as I'm firmly Sony FE for my primary system now.

Lonnie Utah

The question is, WHY would I buy this when I can simply mount Leica manual focus glass to the "obviously superior" (specifications wise) A7 or A7r??

250swb

Best and most intelligible write up so far Jono, you touched the bases and answered the questions, nice work.

As for the camera, it is beautiful, the IQ can be taken for granted, but I think it is more about what could come next, which hopefully will give a back seat to the form over function approach. This one isn't for me although I can see the advantages for those willing to embark early on a lens collection around the T concept, which in time could mature into something very exciting.

Steve

250swb

The question is, WHY would I buy this when I can simply mount Leica manual focus glass to the "obviously superior" (specifications wise) A7 or A7r??
A minor consideration clearly, but to remind you, a lot of Leica lenses won't work properly on the A7 or A7R.

Steve

bradhusick

Okay, I think this is the exact opposite of the Fuji X-T1 and that's wonderful. They're at the opposite ends of a spectrum of user interface and I think they're beautifully designed for the styles of photography they are addressing. I love my X-T1 and will keep it.

Now the big decision - do I also get the "T"? I am a viewfinder shooter, so I have to have that. Will my 50 year-old eyes like the touch screen without reading glasses? Will it fit in that nifty leather holster with the rubber skin on it? I do love the orange color of that.

When would I grab the "T" and when would I grab the X-T1? They both accept my Leica M glass very well.

Isn't life a peach?

bradhusick

Wait to get a chance to fondle a "T" and then tell us what you think. I picked up an A7r and it felt so under-built (not solid) that I put it down before a minute was up.

Lonnie Utah

Wait to get a chance to fondle a "T" and then tell us what you think. I picked up an A7r and it felt so under-built (not solid) that I put it down before a minute was up.
Even if it's more solidly built, I wouldn't waste my time. It's not the build quality, it's the price point vs the cameras capabilities. Heck, I could buy THREE A6000's for the cost of this thing, and have a camera(s) with better IQ, more resolution and a faster AF.

It's my personal opinion that the value in Leica is not the bodies, it's in the glass. And if I can mount that glass to a superior body, again specification wise, and for less money, why wouldn't I chose that route?