Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Leica T - Impressions and Images

Hi There Everyone
    I've been a little quiet over the last few weeks, and the Leica T is why!

I've had a camera since October - putting it through it's paces and helping Leica to iron out the bugs in the firmware.

I really have no idea how the camera is going to be received, either by us (the Internet Chatterati) or by Leica users in general.

What I do know is that this is a different kind of a camera - Leica have really tried to make a camera which is both simple and sophisticated, small and very high quality. In that respect I think they've succeeded.

Perhaps what's more interesting is the whole concept of the T mount - I was very much of the opinion that Leica were mad not to join in with µ43, after all, they already had the link with Panasonic, and it would be an excellent way for them to sell lenses to a large demographic, and some tasty expensive bodies.

Now I'm definitely feeling differently. The T mount is intriguing, for example, it's bigger than the Sony E mount (45mm against 50mm) leaving the obvious possibility for a full frame camera later on. Both R and M lenses work really well.

Superficially the camera looks like a Samsung NX300 or a NEX 7 - but you really do need to feel it to get a handle on the build quality.

I'm sure that some will disappointed that it doesn't have a built in EVF - others (like me) will be disappointed that it it isn't weather sealed, and that it doesn't have IBIS.

On the other hand, this is a solid solid body, and the shutter is very quiet, just a snick, handholding is really easy, even with telephoto lenses.

Whatever - I've done a little write up

. . . . worth mentioning, that It's our little grand-daughter's first birthday on Saturday, and I have to do a 100km bike ride for charity - in aid of the hospital that looked after her for the first 10 weeks of her life:

All the very best to all the very best!

Now - Let The Discussion Begin!

Just this guy you know
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Leica T - Impressions and Images

Congratulations on your very interesting past six months, and your next 100 km of cycling! There's a lot to read, if you, Sean Reid, and Ming Thein have all been working over the T and writing up your initial reactions. I have to go look to see if Ming has got his into the shower yet.

I still don't understand how you got an X, Y, Z, two Ms and your T into the same camera bag or even the same cupboard.

It will be interesting to see which of the more advanced touch screen gestures start to become standard controls. Can you imagine a day in which we all just know that to call upon HDR features requires a "swish and a flick," just like at Hogwarts?

scott
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

From what little I've seen and from what I've read so far all I can say is I definitely want it. It's a solidly made (literally) camera that while for some may seem pricey, I see it as a good, unobtrusive (in black anyway) walk about camera with superb optics, a promising large enough, sensor (and no AA filter) with promising higher ISO IQ, and sufficiently quick and accurate focussing that I've missed since I sold off my M6.

I just purchased a new camera but I will prob ably sell all to invest in this.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I've added your link to the full report (press release, specifications, pictures, videos, reviews) Jono, thanks!

New Leica T Announced - Details!
    Last edited by Double Negative; 24th April 2014 at 08:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All reviews of the brand new Leica T (Type 701) camera you will find here:

Leica T (Type 701) reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

Great write-up.

I'll need to see one in person but since I don't already have a cabinet of M lenses to play with it looks like I will probably pass. The interface seems very impressive and image quality I am confident will be there. The lack of a larger sensor and IS seem to be the limiting factors. I need (ok want) a FF sensor on the next camera I buy.

However kudos to Leica. They seem to have created a new paradigm shift with the user interface and the overall design is very tempting.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jono, for your insightful review.

I am especially intrigued by your comment that the size of the T mount is large enough to accomodate a full frame sensor in the future.

If the T pricing is merely "premium" level and not downright "predatory," then I think I will order one.
    James

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up. I like the 1.5x factor. It's like having a newer M8 together with your M9 or M240. So that 50mm 1.4 will turn into a nice 75mm 1.4 for portraits!

What I wonder is if the T lenses can be used (manually) on M bodies with an adapter. It'll be great to have that Zoom for the M.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Great write up. I like the 1.5x factor. It's like having a newer M8 together with your M9 or M240. So that 50mm 1.4 will turn into a nice 75mm 1.4 for portraits!

What I wonder is if the T lenses can be used (manually) on M bodies with an adapter. It'll be great to have that Zoom for the M.
    Nice idea, but it wouldn't work because the difference between the rear element and the lens is so much closer on the T - you'd need a negative adapter!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice write up Jono! Thank you!

I'm actually somewhat enthusiastic about the T. The enthusiasm is dampened by the pricing, which is expected. But the price of the lenses hurts more than forking out $1800 for the body. Optically perfect glass is great. But psychologically for me, it's hard to ever want to cough up $2000+ for slow zoom lenses, however perfect they may be.
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a good option for those who want a backup to their M body and comes at about the same price as a A7r when purchased with the M lens adapter.

The T mount lenses seem to be very overpriced for the intended audience especially considering how many complaints I've heard regarding Sony FE lens pricing but I will keep my eye out for the next version which will hopefully have a built in EVF. Removable EVF's don't work for me personally and maybe came with this a year or two too late for me as I'm firmly Sony FE for my primary system now.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    HOLD ON A MINUTE - LUMINOUS LANDSCAPE SAY THE "T" DOES NOT SHOOT RAW!

Is this true? Leica, how could you?
    I think it shoots DNG...Like every other Leica camera.

Post Thanks / Like

The question is, WHY would I buy this when I can simply mount Leica manual focus glass to the "obviously superior" (specifications wise) A7 or A7r??
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Post Thanks / Like

Best and most intelligible write up so far Jono, you touched the bases and answered the questions, nice work.

As for the camera, it is beautiful, the IQ can be taken for granted, but I think it is more about what could come next, which hopefully will give a back seat to the form over function approach. This one isn't for me although I can see the advantages for those willing to embark early on a lens collection around the T concept, which in time could mature into something very exciting.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    The question is, WHY would I buy this when I can simply mount Leica manual focus glass to the "obviously superior" (specifications wise) A7 or A7r??
    A minor consideration clearly, but to remind you, a lot of Leica lenses won't work properly on the A7 or A7R.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    A minor consideration clearly, but to remind you, a lot of Leica lenses won't work properly on the A7 or A7R.
    Then substitute NEX-7 or a6000 for A7/A7r, and my point is the same.
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    The T mount lenses seem to be very overpriced for the intended audience especially considering how many complaints I've heard regarding Sony FE lens pricing ...
    FE lens pricing seems like a bargain now!!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, I think this is the exact opposite of the Fuji X-T1 and that's wonderful. They're at the opposite ends of a spectrum of user interface and I think they're beautifully designed for the styles of photography they are addressing. I love my X-T1 and will keep it.

Now the big decision - do I also get the "T"? I am a viewfinder shooter, so I have to have that. Will my 50 year-old eyes like the touch screen without reading glasses? Will it fit in that nifty leather holster with the rubber skin on it? I do love the orange color of that.

When would I grab the "T" and when would I grab the X-T1? They both accept my Leica M glass very well.

Isn't life a peach?
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wait to get a chance to fondle a "T" and then tell us what you think. I picked up an A7r and it felt so under-built (not solid) that I put it down before a minute was up.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

Wait to get a chance to fondle a "T" and then tell us what you think. I picked up an A7r and it felt so under-built (not solid) that I put it down before a minute was up.
    Even if it's more solidly built, I wouldn't waste my time. It's not the build quality, it's the price point vs the cameras capabilities. Heck, I could buy THREE A6000's for the cost of this thing, and have a camera(s) with better IQ, more resolution and a faster AF.

It's my personal opinion that the value in Leica is not the bodies, it's in the glass. And if I can mount that glass to a superior body, again specification wise, and for less money, why wouldn't I chose that route?
    SONY A900

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not for me I would need my reading glasses on the whole time shooting this. Bad enough there on and off like a robot now. Lol

Not fond of the looks but hey that's me. I drive a VW not a BMW. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think this system is more about the AF lenses. The A6000 is probably a better camera in most/all technical ways than the T, but what AF 18-55 lens are you going to put on it if that's what you want? I'm quite certain that the Leica kit zoom will be much better than the Sony 18-55!

So a better comparison is the Fujis probably, eg the X-A1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even if it's more solidly built, I wouldn't waste my time. It's not the build quality, it's the price point vs the cameras capabilities. Heck, I could buy THREE A6000's for the cost of this thing, and have a camera(s) with better IQ, more resolution and a faster AF.

It's my personal opinion that the value in Leica is not the bodies, it's in the glass. And if I can mount that glass to a superior body, again specification wise, and for less money, why wouldn't I chose that route?
    Hey you just threw a olive in there koolaid. Lol

I'm joking of course but your comment does have a lot of value to it. Dang thing is unpowered for the cost. I agree but its Leica and folks will buy Leica and the luxury products. To me the S makes some sense as well as the M240 but this one just does not.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess for me it is all about user interface. As Jono has pointed out in his write-ups a good camera to me is one that you can pick up after a period of time and there isn't a learning curve over and over again. My Leica M's were like that and after that the Fuji's have come closest. I own and Olympus and I feel like I'm starting from scratch every time I pick it up.

So, a body can have all the functionality in the world and still be a fail to me.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Sherman View Post
    Actually, I think this system is more about the AF lenses. The A6000 is probably a better camera in most/all technical ways than the T, but what AF 18-55 lens are you going to put on it if that's what you want? I'm quite certain that the Leica kit zoom will be much better than the Sony 18-55!

So a better comparison is the Fujis probably, eg the X-A1.
    Sigma 18-35 1.8 on the Sony a6000 would be pretty dang impressive. I like there Art series a lot

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The obvious answer would be because the Leica T support lens profiles and metadata for m mount lenses. The crop sensor has a " negative" affect for wides but possibly a positive affect on the longer stuff where your 90 becomes a 135 and a 135 becomes a 190-ish... With lens corrections and metadata baked in the DNG.

That being said I clearly prefer the A7 and A7r personally. I think the Leica T is too little too late for me personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm ....... In the UK the price of the body, the current zoom lens and the EVF is £3000.
    I can see that it might be a lovely aesthetic object but with no ibis, no weather sealing and a zoom that's not as fast as my EM-1's 12-40, for me it's no contest.
    Ian.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The user experience is something that sets apart great products from merely competent ones.

Apple understands this. Leica gets it. BMW, Bosch, Makita, SureFire, Omega, Amazon, REI all get it.

Samsung, Sony, Olympus, Microsoft, and a whole bunch more don't get it.

Feel free to disagree and use what makes you smile.
    Brad Husick
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI there Lonnie
    I think I said at the beginning that if you were doing a feature check-box / price comparison then it's a ludicrous idea to buy the Leica T.

Still, I'd much rather use M lenses on the T than on a NEX-7 (or an A7) - even for silly reasons like the Lens is in the exif information (useful to me), but also because the IQ is certainly better - I've not tried the A6000, so I can't comment, but I suspect that the same thing will be the case - especially with wide angle lenses. My instinct is that the wider lens mount of the T is relevant here, added to which they're in a position to do some correction in Firmware, which is never going to happen with Sony.

I have never had a non-M camera before where I was pleased to use M lenses with an adapter, there was always some nasty kind of gotcha.

I would just advise you not to go into a store and handle one - there may not be a valid excuse for buying one . . . . . but when was that ever an important component of GAS
    Last edited by jonoslack; 24th April 2014 at 10:56.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The user experience is something that sets apart great products from merely competent ones.

Apple understands this. Leica gets it. BMW, Bosch, Makita, SureFire, Omega, Amazon, REI all get it.

Samsung, Sony, Olympus, Microsoft, and a whole bunch more don't get it.

Feel free to disagree and use what makes you smile.
    I agree on the point that a singular product philosophy is a great business model whether it's Apple thinking differently, BMW making the ultimate driving machine (although Porsche would disagree,) or Leica's simplistic functionality.

I would argue on some level that often perceived functional simplicity is a generation thing. Case in point many issues that many have with LR were second nature to me without reading help me guides or manuals. Coincidentally I had to use tutorials when I switched to Aperture 3 from LR for some additional feature and me and Capture One have always had a hate affair.

Point is choice is good for us all and just because a product doesn't fit everyone doesn't make it a bad one. I love my A7/A7r and the M9P. I almost bought an OM-D but I really didn't want to go back to less that FF on my sensors again. Nothing wrong with the OMD. Many make amazing pictures with them but the A7's fit my desires as a hobbyist better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, no IBIS - I am not interested!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

NM
    Last edited by Lonnie Utah; 24th April 2014 at 10:57.
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lonnie, resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. The collective is all.

By the way, I think you're hungry now. Eat an apple. And scratch that right elbow - it's been itching for a while.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. The collective is all.
    Yes, and the Borg is Sony.... As seen by the sensors in your iphone and Nikon....
    SONY A900

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, it's not. It's simply that you have your priorities in a camera and I have mine. I know what my priorities, my needs, and my budget are. Those are a valid reason as any to make decisions about what camera to purchase and use.

For you to suggest that you somehow know better that I do what I need to prioritize, what I need, and what my budget is thru some sort of digital clairvoyance and that my conclusions are "ludicrous", is frankly, somewhat offensive to me.

With all of your praising this camera, y'all have yet to convince me why I should change my priorities to yours (and likely you won't be able to).
    You've completely misunderstood me Lonnie
    I was saying that buying the camera was a ludicrous idea. I wasn't for a second suggesting that your priorities OR your conclusion was ludicrous (and I'm sorry you took it that way).
    I meant that buying the camera would be ludicrous if you were doing a feature price comparison.

I've changed my wording in my post - please accept my apology

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I meant that buying the camera would be ludicrous if you were doing a feature price comparison.
    Fair enough. If that's what you said/meant, then we agree. Sorry about the confusion. I cannot read your review as it must be blocked here.
    SONY A900

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fair enough. If that's what you said/meant, then we agree. Sorry about the confusion. I cannot read your review as it must be blocked here.
    HI Lonnie
    It shouldn't be blocked - but some people were having trouble viewing it a week or so ago - I'll talk to my ISP

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, Jono!

I can never understand all the whinging over price. Sure, it's pricey—what's the big deal? No one forces you to buy it. The issue seems to be that everyone one WANTS a Leica, they're just not willing to pay the premium required.

Why? Well in my experience, Leica simply makes better cameras than most of the other guys. The fact that they charge for them is a point of aggravation to those who want one but can't afford it.

I've got my fireproof suit on, so flame away...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there Jono.

First and foremost..happy birthday to your grand daughter.
    Our prayers for her long and healthy life.

Second.. Kudos to the parents, family and hospital staff.

Third.. Very impressive written review of a ' ho-hum' camera that seeks
    seeks to appeal on the basis of the ' red dot ', following
    the sleek unibody design of Apple products and representing no
    Innovation whatsoever. To cap it all I wonder if Audi is the car
    Of the future?

An excellent attempt to make a mediocre product and lenses
    Seem to be the epitome of cropped sensor cameras.

Best regards.
    koffee & kamera

Post Thanks / Like

Do the twin dials work like a NEX-7?
    Is the touchscreen basically an Olympus SCP?
    Is the kit zoom basically a Lumix 14-45?
    Is the 23mm prime better than the EOS-M 22mm prime?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Looks good, Jono!

I can never understand all the whinging over price. Sure, it's pricey—what's the big deal? No one forces you to buy it. The issue seems to be that everyone one WANTS a Leica, they're just not willing to pay the premium required.

Why? Well in my experience, Leica simply makes better cameras than most of the other guys. The fact that they charge for them is a point of aggravation to those who want one but can't afford it.

G

It was the best comment i could come up with. For me its not about the money, its what you get for it. Okay I'm bailing out. Have fun folks, I'll go to my corner now. LOL

Jono nice report as always my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This was posted on Sony Rumors. Is this true about the sensor.

and I quote

ell, Leica knows how to make ane exclusive camera! They just announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera ($1800 here at BHphoto). It has the same 16 Megapixel sensor of the $398 NEX-3n. But the NEX-3n comes with a lens while the Leica T does not. And the (slow!) Leica T kit zoom costs another $1750.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post
    Do the twin dials work like a NEX-7?
    Is the touchscreen basically an Olympus SCP?
    Is the kit zoom basically a Lumix 14-45?
    Is the 23mm prime better than the EOS-M 22mm prime?
    You must be a person who likes building his own PC from parts.
    Brad Husick

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it seems like we are always getting 85% of what we want, the missing 15% shifting around over several omissions, depending on the maker's priorities:

T: missing tilting LCD and missing built-in EFV and focus peaking, missing raw-only
    A7R: noisy shutter, no workie with most wide angles, not a simple manual-like set of controls, not a leica, too many "special" features and menus

etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    it seems like we are always getting 85% of what we want, the missing 15% shifting around over several omissions, depending on the maker's priorities:

T: missing tilting LCD and missing built-in EFV and focus peaking, missing raw-only
    A7R: noisy shutter, no workie with most wide angles, not a simple manual-like set of controls, not a leica, too many "special" features and menus

etc.
    Yea I'll be long gone before they even get to 90 percent too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

G
    Okay Godfrey - I mentioned the price, so I'll take your comments personally .

I just stated the price. I then went on to give three reasons why I felt that my EM-1 and 12-40 was preferable for me.
    Actually your inference was correct, I thinks it's too expensive .

But I think that you must separate price from value.
    The price is not too high for me in terms of affordability but that price does not represent good value as I see it (cheap things can be poor value too), I don't pay a premium for other supposedly high end lifestyle brands mentioned in this thread either.
    I don't know how to say this without sounding arrogant, but quality items have always been important to me and I've mainly been able to acquire what I've wanted. I DON'T want a Leica just because it's a Leica.

I actually do have a good quality three layer Nomex flame suit and an outrageously expensive Arai crash helmet to go with it for forum use (and my historic motor racing) but under that I'm a sensitive soul ......... so please be nice to me .
    Ian.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This was posted on Sony Rumors. Is this true about the sensor.

and I quote

ell, Leica knows how to make ane exclusive camera! They just announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera ($1800 here at BHphoto). It has the same 16 Megapixel sensor of the $398 NEX-3n. But the NEX-3n comes with a lens while the Leica T does not. And the (slow!) Leica T kit zoom costs another $1750.
    I didn't write that I swear! lol.
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    Okay Godfrey - I mentioned the price, so I'll take your comments personally .

I just stated the price. I then went on to give three reasons why I felt that my EM-1 and 12-40 was preferable for me.
    Actually your inference was correct, I thinks it's too expensive .

But I think that you must separate price from value.
    The price is not too high for me in terms of affordability but that price does not represent good value as I see it (cheap things can be poor value too), I don't pay a premium for other supposedly high end lifestyle brands mentioned in this thread either.
    I don't know how to say this without sounding arrogant, but quality items have always been important to me and I've mainly been able to acquire what I've wanted. I DON'T want a Leica just because it's a Leica.

I actually do have a good quality three layer Nomex flame suit and an outrageously expensive Arai crash helmet to go with it for forum use (and my historic motor racing) but under that I'm a sensitive soul ......... so please be nice to me .
    My helmet is baseball bat proof. My wife has yet to penetrate it yet and she has had a zillion chances. LOL
    Got a lot of dings though.

We need to remember price and value are not exactly one in the same and in most cases they are not. IMHO anything under a M240 or M9 is not worth the price. Just too many other products out there that just outrun it. I want a leica Monochrome as i see that has value to me. Price who cares I want it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post

etc.
    The solution is to want less, and be happy using the marvels that we get as best we can.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My helmet is baseball bat proof. My wife has yet to penetrate it yet and she has had a zillion chances. LOL
    Got a lot of dings though.

We need to remember price and value are not exactly one in the same and in most cases they are not. IMHO anything under a M240 or M9 is not worth the price. Just too many other products out there that just outrun it. I want a leica Monochrome as i see that has value to me. Price who cares I want it.
    Timing is also a huge factor. If this camera is released last summer when Leica had the whole "Mini M" fiasco then it looks a lot better being $4-500 more than an OM-D for the body, presents a viable backup to a M camera, and all of these other mirrorless cameras weren't available or heard of (A7 series, XT-1, etc.)

Again his is a great camera for some I'm sure and the system/ lens roadmap seems well thought out for the affluent casual photographer.