The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica T

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am actually thinking about taking the plunge, T, 23 lens and EVF... hmmmm
In some strange way, the Leica T does make a lot of sense, particularly after I went back to Nikon DSLR for most of my photography. It's a kind of "I don't give a damn" camera, if you see what I mean :)

In my case, they would have to come up with a Summicron fiftyish or something though, and I would have to stumble over a forgotten stash of banknotes :ROTFL:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I went to B&H to compare the feel of a bunch of new cameras and they did not have a T on display. Very disappointed. Hasselblad Stellars were in abundance :facesmack:. The A7II and X-T1 were there, so the visit wasn't wasted. The X-T1 was much bigger than I expected. Sorry, getting :OT:,

Matt

(These damned hyphens XT-1? X-T1? E-M1? Who comes up with these names? )

kuau

Workshop Member
So I pulled the trigger on a used T 701 Black, with EVF and Leica T-M adaptor $1800.
I hope I didn't pay to much :eek:

So now I have to decide on whether to get the zoom, 23mm prime or try to less expensive Zeiss ZM lenses.

Has anyone tried the Zeiss 21/4.5 ZM or 35/2 ZM planar?

Is it true that the Leica T wrist strap for $70 is not any good?
I saw a 1 star review on B&H complaining that it is way to short on length.

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Got my "T" today really liking it so far. Just upgraded to the latest FW, I had a few hiccups with the LCD locking up once and also after I attached the EVF which btw I think is awesome, like it better then the Sony A7 series.... the T would not shut down so I had to pull the battery.
I only have one lens right now, Zeiss 85/4 ZM, nothing special but manual focus was a breeze with it.
I rented both the zoom and the 23 which I will get on Tuesday to give them each a spin.

Here are 2 quick snaps from today.

Godfrey

Nice, enjoy the T.
I'll be interested to see where it takes you.

For me, the lens would be a simple thing: I'd grab the 23mm if I wanted an AF lens. Otherwise I'd put the adapter on it and use my existing M-mount 21, 28, 35, 40, etc lenses. I only rarely find myself wanting a zoom; I prefer the shooting methodology and constraint implied by working with a single focal length at a time.

G

kuau

Workshop Member
Godfrey,
I really don't need AF, so spending $1900 on the new 23 does not excite me to much.
Since I live at F8 99% of the time, and unfortunately I sold off my M lenses a while ago I am not sure what to do. For me I would be happy with a 35 and 50 Summarit yet I still would like a 21 though don't have the money for the Leica 21. There's the Zeiss C Biogon 21 though I have no idea on the performance on a T

Steven

Godfrey

I really don't need AF, so spending $1900 on the new 23 does not excite me to much.
Since I live at F8 99% of the time, and unfortunately I sold off my M lenses a while ago I am not sure what to do. For me I would be happy with a 35 and 50 Summarit yet I still would like a 21 though don't have the money for the Leica 21. There's the Zeiss C Biogon 21 though I have no idea on the performance on a T
If you don't need/want AF, and you spend most of your time at and near f/8 anyway, spend your money on a couple of Voigtländer lenses. The Sony APS-C 16Mpixel sensor that Leica chose for the T happens to be one of the few that works very well with wides in general. I bet you could buy a Voigtländer Color Skopar 25 and 35 (35 and 50 mm equivalent FoVs) and be quite pleased with them, and they'll cost together less than ONE Leica or Zeiss ZM lens.

I have tested the Color Skopar 21, 28, 35, and 50 mm lenses even with the Sony A7 where the FF 24Mpixel sensor isn't as forgiving as the APS-C 16Mpixel. They do pretty well even on that camera, and at f/8 the imaging is nearly indistinguishable from my Leica lenses in large part. I bought the faster Leica (and Voigtländer) lenses to use at wider apertures where the imaging signatures are much different.

G

harmsr

Workshop Member
A few shots at the GoodGuys Nationals here in Phoenix a few weeks ago, with the T & 23 Summicron. Love how the lens and sensor renders.

jonoslack

Godfrey,

Steven
HI There
Sounds like you got a great deal! In my experience pretty much any M lens will work okay on the T (it's that lovely Sony sensor and the excellent Leica T adapter). It's nice to have them 6 bit coded so that the lens shows in the exif, but I don't think there's any clever image modification - so you're good to go with anything.

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks Jono I am renting a few lenses this up coming week to see what I like.
So far really liking my T

Steven

Paratom

So I pulled the trigger on a used T 701 Black, with EVF and Leica T-M adaptor $1800.
I hope I didn't pay to much :eek:

So now I have to decide on whether to get the zoom, 23mm prime or try to less expensive Zeiss ZM lenses.

Has anyone tried the Zeiss 21/4.5 ZM or 35/2 ZM planar?

Is it true that the Leica T wrist strap for $70 is not any good?
I saw a 1 star review on B&H complaining that it is way to short on length.
For me the wrist strap is too short and for a wrist strap I also dont like the material - so I looked at it in the store and did not buy it.
Regarding lenses - I think the native T lenses worked very well and give you AF. The Summicron is nice but the zoom is very good too and very flexible.

Paratom

If you use f8.0 and want 21mm - why not just buy the zoom which is nice at 21mm and offers you also all the other focal lengths as well. Its also nice at the long end for poeple images or sometimes also for landscape.

kuau

Workshop Member
I am for sure leaning to the zoom, will be renting it this week. Though I just wanted to see what other options I had just to make sure.

jonoslack

I'm with others on the wriststrap as well, too short and somehow flimsy. I like the rubber neck strap, but I realise I'm in the minority.
Match Technical (the thumbs up people) make ordinary lugs now, so you can attach whatever you like:

Leica T Strap Lugs

I also agree that the zoom is very good - I'm hoping to get a go with the new zooms soon.

all the best

jonoslack

I'm glad this thread has woken up again.

Here's one from October in Cornwall:

Criss Cross
18-56 at 18mm​

kuau

Workshop Member
Jono,
I am having all kinds of fun with my T. Yeah its not a Sony A7, A7s or A7II, yet the fun factor is really great. I get my Zoom and 23 tomorrow to try out. Hope to have some more pics to post soon.

Steven.