The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica T

kuau

Workshop Member
Jono,
What is your first impressions with the 2 new Leica zooms?
The images you post look great
Steven

jonoslack

Hi Steven
Well - I've not done any proper testing - they only arrived this morning, but the first impression is that they're absolutely wonderful - compact, beautifully made and optically fantastic . . . my wallet is quivering with anguish!

jonoslack

We're in Cornwall for a few days, here are some more snaps with the new lenses

First some shots with the 11-35 zoom

The Man with Three Hats

Pointy

Lands End Landscape

Lands End Seascape

Dog Walking near the edge

jonoslack

Here are some with the 55-135 - they're both Cracking Lenses!

Looking West

Caspar

Raven on the clifftop

The Gorse is out in Cornwall

surveying the scene​

rsmphoto

Ok, you've convinced me. I picked up a T with zoom, and now looking forward to the 11-35. The T will be a welcome companion to my M and S.
Richard

V

Vivek

Heavy handed processing. Reminds me of someone who posts on the Sony forum. Can't find any difference between a Canon DSLR image and a Leica image.

Paratom

who is buying the Leica T? doesn't seem to be a big hit
Good question.
And I think the Problem is that ist Kind of a new type/catogerie camera and many might not really know what it is:
-is it a luxury article where the polish is more important than the Features?
-does it handle like a phone or like a camera?
-is it made for photographers?

IMO Leica Marketing focused too much on the polished Body.
After using the camera for some I believe one can not say it handles like a phone, I find the handling somewhere inbetween a phone and a camera, but very simple (the last phone which was that easy to control didnt even have a touscreen).

Also many People compare Features (incl sensor size) vs Price and here the T probably can not score.
On the other side I am sure many People oversee that the T:
-offers a very attractive compromise between excellent IQ, lens Speed and size
-has a very intuitive and simple user Interface, which is - IMO- not only made for i-phone Generation
- is made for taking Images and can deliver excellent results.

Personally I cant make up my mind between the T and the A72, even though technically the SOny offers a larger sensor and much more Features.
Thats why-at the moment-I own both. (At least I finally sold my Canon DSLR Equipment)

jonoslack

Heavy handed processing. Reminds me of someone who posts on the Sony forum. Can't find any difference between a Canon DSLR image and a Leica image.
HI Vivek
Do you mean me? I assume so. Whatever, I'll wear the cap with respect to the black and white dogs and landscapes, but there's very little processing in the colour shots - maybe you could be more explicit?

all the best

jonoslack

Also many People compare Features (incl sensor size) vs Price and here the T probably can not score.
On the other side I am sure many People oversee that the T:
-offers a very attractive compromise between excellent IQ, lens Speed and size
-has a very intuitive and simple user Interface, which is - IMO- not only made for i-phone Generation
- is made for taking Images and can deliver excellent results.

Personally I cant make up my mind between the T and the A72, even though technically the SOny offers a larger sensor and much more Features.
Thats why-at the moment-I own both. (At least I finally sold my Canon DSLR Equipment)
HI Tom
Good points all - I actually have the A7ii and the E-M1, and like you I can't find a way to get rid of any of them. One thing is for certain, the T has fantastic lenses, without exception, and they're also very small (even compared to µ43 lenses). The 11-23 in particular is a real stunner.

Give me another T body with IBIS, weathersealing and faster AF, and I think the decision would suddenly become very easy. Here's hoping! I'd also like a built in EVF . . . but only because it doesn't fit so well in my favorite bag with it attached, there's no problem in using it and it does have a tilt function as well. To my mind the camera is fun and straightforward to use, and does encourage you to focus on the essentials of exposure and compensation without a plethora of unnecessary menu options.