The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica T

jonoslack

who is buying the Leica T? doesn't seem to be a big hit
But how do you know? It certainly isn't big around here, but the T forum on LUF is quite busy. Let's face it, it's not designed for the check box mentality of most of the people who hang around in forums - but there are lots of other photographers, and it doesn't mean it isn't selling to them. (personally I have no idea!).

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The more I look at this camera and the images made from it, the more i like it. It's rather expensive, but it's a strong statement; design, build quality and image quality. What is missing are a few more primes, like a 21 or 24mm and an 85mm eqv., all f/2 to keep the size within limits. I wouldn't be able to afford it of course, but it would make my dreams even better :)

Paratom

HI Tom
Good points all - I actually have the A7ii and the E-M1, and like you I can't find a way to get rid of any of them. One thing is for certain, the T has fantastic lenses, without exception, and they're also very small (even compared to µ43 lenses). The 11-23 in particular is a real stunner.

Give me another T body with IBIS, weathersealing and faster AF, and I think the decision would suddenly become very easy. Here's hoping! I'd also like a built in EVF . . . but only because it doesn't fit so well in my favorite bag with it attached, there's no problem in using it and it does have a tilt function as well. To my mind the camera is fun and straightforward to use, and does encourage you to focus on the essentials of exposure and compensation without a plethora of unnecessary menu options.
Having some more experience with the A7II now I would sell the EM1 if I did not have that underwater housing for the EM1. EM1 is too similar to the A7II IMO.
Regarding the T vs A7II ... for me the T has to few and the A7ii too many Buttons and functions.
With the T I miss a way to move the Focus point to another Position without taking the camera away from my eye.
I also find the wheels of the T turn to easy, and I don't like to have to smear the Dislpay with my finger if I want to review an image.
Like you say IBIS would be great as well.
But I still do like the IQ and simplicity and the feel of the T - though the A7II seems to be the more flexible camera to be. I also like that the continuous AF of the A7II seems really quite good.

V

Vivek

HI Vivek
Do you mean me? I assume so. Whatever, I'll wear the cap with respect to the black and white dogs and landscapes, but there's very little processing in the colour shots - maybe you could be more explicit?

all the best
Hi Jono!
Of all the people why on earth would you think it referred to you? No, not you. :)

Stuart Richardson

I love the T! I picked it up at the factory back in September. I have not posted many images, because for me it is more like a sketchpad and for personal images. I generally post my "serious" images, rather than the ones I am just taking on a more ongoing basis. I do find the T a great camera to use though. I feel like it has 80-90% of the image quality of the M9, in a more compact, more modern body. Of course, it is much better at high ISO's. The only criticism I have is that I still feel like the 100% detail looks better from my CCD cameras (M9 and S)...there is something visibly different between the S files and the T beyond just the size...still, the S costs a bit more than the T, so I am not complaining!

Since I have the S for anything where I need the best quality, the T allows me to have a camera that is extremely handy, while still having few compromises. When I travel abroad these days, I generally only bring the T. I only have the 23mm and the M adapter, but in practice I only use the M lenses for video. I use the T similarly to how I would use the iPhone camera...as a replacement if I don't have the heavy duty camera with me. It frees me up to leave the M9 and S or Hexar AF at home on trips abroad, and still be confident that the camera is good enough and nice enough to use that if I do actually have to take a "serious" image, I can do so without a major handicap.

Here are a few random shots:

jonoslack

I still love the T - great camera - here are a few chilly snaps from here

Citrus - with the Olympus 50mm f1.2

Flowers - with the Olympus 50mm f1.2

the last Jupiter with the 55-135 vario elmar

red bucket with the 55-135 vario elmar

Witchhazel with the 55-135 vario elmar

Paratom

As a owner of also the S system like you Stuart it leaves the question: where stays the M between those the T and the S? I now often use the T where I would have used the M in earlier times.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

As a owner of also the S system like you Stuart it leaves the question: where stays the M between those the T and the S? I now often use the T where I would have used the M in earlier times.
It's a very good point. I am rarely using the M at the moment. If I had to photograph reportage or an event in good light, I would likely choose the M over the T. I still prefer the rangefinder and manual focus 35mm for that kind of work. The S is a bit conspicuous for the way I like to work in that context, while the T is still a bit fussier to fully control than the M. (I mean the M still does exactly what you tell it to, nothing more, nothing less. I find the T can be more difficult to manually control, both because of the interface and certain weird little bugs...the dials on mine sometimes do not respond or do not respond how I expect them to. It is not all the time, just occasionally, but enough that I generally just leave it on P unless I have something specific I need to change. I still prefer the M and S interfaces where buttons and wheels have clear and consistent functions, even if I assign them myself in the custom functions settings.) I do find the M a bit too heavy and bulky to carry with me all the time, however, which is the role that I am using the T for now.

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Here are some with the 55-135 - they're both Cracking Lenses!

Jono, can you comment on the handling of the 55-135 zoom on the T?
Maybe if you have a chance when you not out taking awesome images you could take a quick cell phone picture of the T and the 55-135 lens.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask are you using a half case on the T? I ordered the Leica leather half case and didn't like it so returned it.

Sine I live in a ski resort, the T gets cold very quickly so looking for some kind of half case. Any suggestions.

Steven

jonoslack

HI Steven
I think it handles really well - it's pretty small for what it is, although it does extend a bit.

I hear what you say about the T getting cold (-9C last week in Courcheval did make it hard to handle). But I don't have a solution for you I'm afraid.

All the best
Jono

kuau

Workshop Member
HI Steven
I think it handles really well - it's pretty small for what it is, although it does extend a bit.

I hear what you say about the T getting cold (-9C last week in Courcheval did make it hard to handle). But I don't have a solution for you I'm afraid.

All the best
Jono
Thanks for the pictures of the zoom on the T.

Gorgeous picture from Courcheval outstanding.
Were you skiing? If so how did you carry your T along?

Steven