The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vienna, Austria

RS

I am leaving for Vienna next week. What should I expect?
I am thinking of using the VC 28mm f1.9 exclusively and leaving the 40 f1.4 behind. I will use a fuji xf-1 as a low light / back up. What do you guys think?

Seascape

I am leaving for Vienna next week. What should I expect?
I am thinking of using the VC 28mm f1.9 exclusively and leaving the 40 f1.4 behind. I will use a fuji xf-1 as a low light / back up. What do you guys think?
Well, a 28mm lens will work well for cityscapes. Being an older European city it has loads of interesting buildings, lane ways, shops and statues etc.
If your shooting with a FF Leica M, you will find the the 28 and another complementary lens (such as a 50mm) is a good combination.

BTW Vienna has some of the best Cafe's around, check out the Cafe Central, very close to the Palace in the heart of the city. The city is known for it's Coffee culture :thumbs:

RS

Thanks for the tip. I guess I will bring the VC 40 f1.4 too just in case.
Yes, coffee house (and chocolate cake) is definitely on the list
Will probably head out to Salzburg, some castles, and Hallstatt along the way...

Sorry forgot to mention, I am using an m8...

Leave the fuji home and just take the M-camera and 28/40 with you :) Or if you have anything wider, it would be even better. Something like a 21mm + 40mm (on FF camera, with M8 even wider) would be fanstastic, as the old nice buildings are pretty big - think almost like castles.

And whike you're there go taste the original sacher chocolate cake. The original coffee shop that developed/invented it is still there! And it's a great place too, even the prices are quite ok! The cake is fantastic..

I was there last june :)

//Juha

retow

28 & 40mm will do just fine. Instead of the 28 a wider lens would be nice for indoors and narrow cobblestone streets in the old part of the city, 21 or 24. If time allows take the short speed boat ride to Bratislava to spend one day in Slovakia.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just go with the M and according lenses - more high speed if you have.

The results will show!

Enjoy Vienna, should be nice weather continuing - sun with some rain showers (well April is gone - BUT ...) ;).

And about that chocolate cake, the attached photo shows what to look for..

Original Sacher torte + Wiener melange @Sacher Cafe

//Juha

Double Negative

Not Available
Sacher Torte is well known throughout Germany as well, as is Schwarzwald Torte (Black Forest Cake), Bienenstich (Bee Sting) and others... So many YUMMY baked goods. And of course, it's near impossible to find a bad cup of coffee anywhere.

RS

Thanks for all the hints and response.
Leaving in a few hours so I definitely need to pack.
I will go with the gears that I have and see what photos I get.

asiafish

Leave the fuji home and just take the M-camera and 28/40 with you :) Or if you have anything wider, it would be even better. Something like a 21mm + 40mm (on FF camera, with M8 even wider) would be fanstastic, as the old nice buildings are pretty big - think almost like castles.

And whike you're there go taste the original sacher chocolate cake. The original coffee shop that developed/invented it is still there! And it's a great place too, even the prices are quite ok! The cake is fantastic..

I was there last june :)

//Juha
I just got back from Salzburg and Vienna, and while I didn't bring my Leica, I did shoot almost everything at 24mm.