The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X2 or Ricoh GR

Moonshine

Haven't posted in ages but have been reading this forum very often.

So I have an X2 which I'm selling and was thinking whether I should buy a Ricoh GR instead. Has anyone used both cameras and has any thoughts about the advantages of one over the other? Other than the lens focal length. Though I read that the Ricoh does have the option of a 35mm crop..

I read through the forum about the Ricoh and it really seems like a great camera and I guess I was curious to try a different one! Have had the X2 for a while now but if the image quality is very similar and the responsiveness in street photography is the same then I guess I should just keep the X2?!

Sorry but I'm quite confused:confused:

Paratom

I own X2 and the Nikon 1 (28mm fov) and while I prefer the Nikon for its size and speed I prefer the 35mm FOV - for me much more flexible.
So for my toe of images X2 is more useful.

Moonshine

I own X2 and the Nikon 1 (28mm fov) and while I prefer the Nikon for its size and speed I prefer the 35mm FOV - for me much more flexible.
So for my toe of images X2 is more useful.
you can shoot 35mm focal too..i guess i just want a new camera!

Hi Moonshine

I think the basic advantage of the Ricoh GR over the X2 is that it's pocketable. The GR fits easily in my shirt breast pocket. The Ricoh also has a very good user interface. Leica users say the user interface in Leica cameras is also very good. I own a GR but have no experience with the X2. I agree about the usefulness of the 35mm focal length. The Ricoh gives you a 35mm FOV using a crop.

Paul

mmbma

I have tried both and now own the GR
1. pocketable
2. 28mm fov which i love
3.snap focus, best for street photo
4. not sure if it's weather proof but I've used it in the rain with no issues. certainly i feel more willing to expose it to elements since it's cheap
5. light and small.

or, if you are a leica fanboy like all of us here, wait and try the new T

Moonshine

Thanks for all the replies! The bw images I've seen on flickr from the GR also seem more grainy which has a good look to them..or maybe it's just the photographer

MPK2010

Haved used both of these plus the X1. Now I have GR and X1. GR is simple and small with great rendering, though 28 FOV. X1 is maybe fussier (I have had dust issues in the past), but I like its lens more and I like the FOV more too. X2 is like the X1 with noticeable usability improvements and greater DR, but a bit flatter images especially wide open. All three are great.