Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mono owners -tell me your feelings....

Post Thanks / Like

Mono owners -tell me your feelings....

just chat about your Mono.

any subject you like but in particular:

are you happy with the camera ?

was it worth the price to you ?

would you buy it again ?

if shoot 35mm too - which do you like the look of better ?

really anything you want to say about the camera after owning it a while

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mono owners -tell me your feelings....

astonishing photo quality.

i had one, foolishly sold it, buying another.

you can't match the image quality by shooting an m240 and processing, but you can come close with work.

avoid overexposing highlights- you can't recover truly blown highlights

same crappy LCD as the M9, but who cares?
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

it gives me more pleasure to shoot, process, and print than any 35mm camera i've owned

if i had to sell my gear, it's probably the last i'd let go

it spoils me for other gear, it's that good (for me)
    --Mike

My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't counted my cameras and would rather not do so, but if they all had to go save one, the survivor would be the Monochrom. I grew up with film, and I feel no guilt when I use the Monochrom, but rather continue to use film to see if I can get anywhere near the quality of the Monochrom's files.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't bonded with a camera like this since my 500 C/Ms in the mid 1980s. Certainly nothing digital has done it for me until the MM. As already mentioned the files are amazing and it is a camera that just gets out of the way.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got mine just before New Year. Love it; there´s just one big problem:

What should I do with my M9 that is just gathering dust in the cupboard since then?

It´s just like having an ex still hanging about the house when you´re trying to settle down with a new wife….

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I was deciding between the M and MM. It went back and forth for a while, but in the end I went with the MM. I do not regret that decision one bit - I love my MM! Would I do it again? Yes. It's just like my M9, which is perfectly fine with me too... In fact, that was part of the reason I went with the MM and like it so much.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Monochrom! I've had it since last August. I recently had been thinking about trading it in for an M240. My Leica dealer was able to loan me his M240 for a weekend. It's a very nice camera. I really enjoyed using it. But in the end, I just couldn't give up my Monochrom. While both are very capable of doing b&w well. It's the mindset I have when shooting with the Monochrom; I know I'm only capturing b&w and therefore look at the world that way. With the M240 I was thinking, will this be colour or should I convert.

In reading forums and posts bashing the Monochrom, people have never used one and therefore do not know or seem to understand how it changes how you view what you plan to photograph. They are assuming it's no different than with a colour camera... but it is!
    Last edited by mtsullivan; 30th May 2014 at 19:22.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my MM
    I just sold it
    Because I bought the new Chrom one ;p
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

CONGRATS!!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is easy to wax poetically about such a camera.

It harkens back to a different time of photography. Before digital. Yet it is itself digital. A conundrum.

The best compliment I could pay this camera is that I wish I had it 20 years ago. When I was frequently in London, Paris, NY, Chicago, Miami and LA. To walk those streets with wide-eyed freshness. What I would not have given for a M Rangefinder that I could shoot in any light by changing sensitivity at will. ISO 5000? Impossible. Yet it is.

I've said this before, I almost never shot color with a M, and a M was almost always with me, an unbroken chain for almost 50 years. This M Monochrome made it possible to keep that chain unbroken.

- Marc
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Avoid overexposing highlights- you can't recover truly blown highlights".- Brad.

This HAS to be emphasized, because this MM is a new learning experience when you first get it.

Here's a little exercise that taught me about exposure with this camera in difficult light.

Two RAW images of my sister-in-law reading by a window. One exposed for the highlights, the other a bit more for the shadows. Both look unusable, but the image exposed for the outside highlights was just fine. The other one is indeed unrecoverable.

The underexposed one was initially corrected for basic exposure in LR, then brought into Nik Silver Efex Pro-2 for the final image. Quite an exposure trek from the original to final. Unbelievable really.

With a color digital camera you'd need flash to balance out such exposure extremes, or live with tons of noise in the shadows and color shifts with noise on the subject's face.

Hope this helps a little bit,

- Marc

P.S., They didn't load in order, just click on the image and which is which is in the title below left of each photo.

Post Thanks / Like

Of all of them I prefer the one with the 'blown' highlights, it is a much more dynamic and exciting picture.

But yes, generally speaking don't blow the highlights, although it shouldn't be a strict rule, there are many occasions in the history of photography where blown highlights have been used creatively.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Of all of them I prefer the one with the 'blown' highlights, it is a much more dynamic and exciting picture.

Steve
    Yes Steve, we always have subjective choices, and that is a good thing. I also sometimes prefer a high key effect with a pictorial dynamic like that.

However, that wasn't the point of the post was it?

It is easy to blow highlights for creative effect, it is impossible to recover them if they were never there. Big difference.

For example, I can easily process the first underexposed version to look like the over-exposed shot. I cannot process the over-exposed one to look like the first one.

Like this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For my use the best camera that I've ever owned. And I've owned just about everything.
    woody
    Woody's twitter feed
    Woody's daily photo blog

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with everyone else. I'm techie and love new gear, but I've had my MM over a year and I really don't think another camera will ever replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

i traded my MM for a M240 and did not look back

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely thrilled with my Monochrom, and the more experience I have with the files, the more I want to shoot with the MM. My M9 is now relegated to back up, and may have to move to another home.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite camera ever, period. I have written extensively and posted many photos about it...It's a singular camera in today's recycling photographic landscape.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A (deceptively) simple camera, one reduced to the basics; focus, aperture, shutter speed.

But a "difficult" camera, for b/w is a different way of seeing and visualising compared to colour—our "normal" way of seeing.

And an unforgiving one—beware of overexposure.

Yet when you get it right—in my case, not so often—the most satisfying.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    i traded my MM for a M240 and did not look back
    I didnt trade my MM in but I use the M240 much more often than the MM.
    I really like the experience with the MM and the images shine but I am just not a b&w only guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I accept the image quality advantage (for B&W) of the MM over my current camera, the M240. However the feature set of the M240 would make a MM an even more appealing camera.

I'm prepared to wait for the next generation MM.
    I never regretted holding onto my M8 until the enhancements of the M240 became available. Sometimes skipping a generation makes more sense given the prices of these cameras……after all, they all take great photos.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many great comments here and it just reinforces my own sentiments. An inspiring camera and instrument in every way.

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What more can I say? It's just a thing of beauty and simplicity.
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:05.
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    "Avoid overexposing highlights- you can't recover truly blown highlights".- Brad.

This HAS to be emphasized, because this MM is a new learning experience when you first get it.

Here's a little exercise that taught me about exposure with this camera in difficult light.

Two RAW images of my sister-in-law reading by a window. One exposed for the highlights, the other a bit more for the shadows. Both look unusable, but the image exposed for the outside highlights was just fine. The other one is indeed unrecoverable.
    Whilst I spent a year testing the MM and using Lightroom I also came to the same conclusion - blown highlights are simply gone . . . . . until Apple supported the DNG files in Aperture . . . where the blown highlights are just as recoverable as they are with any other DNG files from Leica.

go Figure

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . and as an addendum, my Monochrom is here to stay (it has my name on it, both literally and figuratively). But if I were forced to decide between the MM and the M240 - it would be the colour camera every time - it makes wonderful black and white images, and it's much nicer to use . . . whereas the colour from the MM is really not that great

More seriously - if you only shoot B&W he MM is a no-brainer . . as it is if you can afford both . . but if you're only having one camera - I think the small compromise in B&W is more than offset by the quieter shutter and better colour of the M

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Really love my MM. Just feels right for me. Decided awhile ago that I wanted to simplify things and the MM was the start of that process. If I need colour I use my RX-1, it is a little camera that I can't let go. Once I have exited some of my film gear I want my travel kit to be MM, RX-1 and Hasselblad SWC. 90% will be with the MM. My only bug bear with Leica digital in sensor dust. Drives me crazy.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Whilst I spent a year testing the MM and using Lightroom I also came to the same conclusion - blown highlights are simply gone . . . . . until Apple supported the DNG files in Aperture . . . where the blown highlights are just as recoverable as they are with any other DNG files from Leica.

go Figure
    I use LR because I was on Windoze when it first came out, though I've moved to Mac now. I did try Aperture, but just didn't get the hang of it, and didn't want to complicate my life even more.

I've tried to figure how Aperture recovers blown highlights, but I can't. Could you explain, please? If it's really so magical, I might have to think about it again.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

go Figure
    I'd also be interested in how software can recover blown highlights, since if they can be recovered, they weren't blown in the first place.

Not sure how Aperture can produce more dynamic range than the camera is capable of capturing, but I'm all ears if it can.

IMO, "Blown" means exposed so no data was recorded in the last two or so highlight zones.

Thanks,

-Marc

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd also be interested in how software can recover blown highlights, since if they can be recovered, they weren't blown in the first place.

Not sure how Aperture can produce more dynamic range than the camera is capable of capturing, but I'm all ears if it can.

IMO, "Blown" means exposed so no data was recorded in the last two or so highlight zones.
    This was my thought too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks,

-Marc
    Of course Marc
    My terminology was contradictory. Sorry.

With LR, if you look at the histogram on an image where it goes beyond the right side and move the exposure slider to the left - on a colour image it recedes gracefully depending on the camera, and detail will become evident where there was none before.

If you look at a similar Monochrom DNG file in LR, reduce the exposure, then the histogram drops immediately to the baseline (as if off a cliff). . . and no detail emerges. Just as it does with a jpg file

In Aperture, with the same DNG file, although you don't get as much 'recovery' as you do with a colour file, you do get a more graceful curve on the right hand side of the histogram, and some detail emerges from the brightness.

Better?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jono; I understand what you are saying, but I'm still very puzzled.

I thought that "recovery" (or reduce exposure) worked in colour dngs (and other raw files) because usually only one colour channel was blown, and the "recovery" came from the other two.

But, surely, the Monochrom doesn't have three colour channels? And once the information is gone, it stays gone? How can Aperture "recover" something that wasn't there in the first place? Or is it just that Aperture's histogram differs from that in LR?

What am I not understanding here?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If a pixel is truly blown that means in 8-bit its value is 255 (in mono) or 255,255,255 in RGB. If that's the case, there's no software on earth that can do anything except move it down to a value less than 255. There won't be any "information" in that pixel, just a value of gray. Yes, it won't be pure white and if you print it the printer will lay down some small amount of ink there, reducing the appearance of blotchiness when you view the print from an extreme angle. But it has nothing to do with the photographic subject - you're creating something from nothing and there won't be any image detail in that area.

You can try this on purpose by seriously overexposing an image and then trying to recover the highlights. It will get more gray, but there won't be an image in those areas.
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Thanks, Jono; I understand what you are saying, but I'm still very puzzled.

I thought that "recovery" (or reduce exposure) worked in colour dngs (and other raw files) because usually only one colour channel was blown, and the "recovery" came from the other two.

But, surely, the Monochrom doesn't have three colour channels? And once the information is gone, it stays gone? How can Aperture "recover" something that wasn't there in the first place? Or is it just that Aperture's histogram differs from that in LR?

What am I not understanding here?
    Well, of course, if the pixels are truly 255,255,255 as Brad says (and Marc so trenchantly pointed out) , there's nothing in the world which will recover anything. . . and no, the Monochrom doesn't have 3 colour channels - but I guess that a block of very nearly white is actually a mixture of 255 pixels and some which are something marginally less than that. Perhaps LR simply reduces the whole of the block to grey, whereas Aperture leaves the blown pixels as white for a while whilst darkening the 'almost white' pixels?

I don't have any Monochrom files with me here (or processing software either), so I can't show you a comparison - and I'm not likely to get to it for a few days, but it probably bears more investigation - the observation however remains, that in LR reducing the exposure on overexposed files reveals nothing - but in Aperture it does reveal something, and not just grey rather than white. it isn't as much as a colour file, but it is something.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought some here would like to see the silver mono with an "Arte di Mano Aventino Half Case with Thumbs Up Cutout for M8/M9/M-E/Mono" case, ThumbsUp and "Barton 1972 The Whip" strap.

Check the attention to the fit and finish of the case. Very impressive, albeit expensive. The case does not screw into the camera base - it just fits with the top straps.

Camera and ThumbsUp purchased from Popflash. Case from Leica Store Miami. Strap from Barton1972 web site.
    Brad Husick

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason an MM file blows the highlights is because unlike an RGB image where there is often data in at least one of the channels - does not exist. White is white is white on the MM.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I thought some here would like to see the silver mono with an "Arte di Mano Aventino Half Case...
    I did a fairly extensive review of Arte di Mano Cases and Straps a while back. They're the best half cases on the market currently, bar none. The fit and finish is exemplary. Only half case I've seen that actually "snaps" into position, the fit is that good.

The long-reigning champ, Luigi - while making nice cases for a long time, seem like DIY jobs with a shoddy fit, comparatively.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The jump from level 0 to level 1 is far greater than jumping from level 254 to 255. And, if my math serves me well, that difference of the last level in an 8-bit file represents 226 luminance levels in a 14-bit file. That makes a difference in highlight recovery where you would not see that information unless it is stretched. But it depends how the stretch is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, of course, if the pixels are truly 255,255,255 as Brad says (and Marc so trenchantly pointed out) , there's nothing in the world which will recover anything. . . and no, the Monochrom doesn't have 3 colour channels - but I guess that a block of very nearly white is actually a mixture of 255 pixels and some which are something marginally less than that. Perhaps LR simply reduces the whole of the block to grey, whereas Aperture leaves the blown pixels as white for a while whilst darkening the 'almost white' pixels?

I don't have any Monochrom files with me here (or processing software either), so I can't show you a comparison - and I'm not likely to get to it for a few days, but it probably bears more investigation - the observation however remains, that in LR reducing the exposure on overexposed files reveals nothing - but in Aperture it does reveal something, and not just grey rather than white. it isn't as much as a colour file, but it is something.

All the best
    I use only Aperture and have since it first came out. I tried LR briefly when I bought my Monochrom and thankfully at the end of that week Apple updated Aperture to support the Monochrom!

I use the 'RAW Fine Tuning' to recover highlights and shadow detail: first the 'Boost' slider gets drawn to the left, sometimes all the way, most of the time to somewhere between 15 & 35. Next I use the 'Exposure' area and adjust the Exposure slightly, slide the Recovery all the way to the right, and adjust the Black Point & Brightness some. I also use the 'Straightening' tool when needed, but that's it for Aperture. I then open the image in Silver Efex Pro to get the desired effect.

With the ability to save presets in SEP my workflow in processing images it pretty quick and seamless! I know many grumble about Aperture and Apple not updating as often as Adobe updates LR--I'm of the mind that this is a good thing, why fix what ain't broke! For myself I'd be lost without Aperture.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What a joy to be able to use a camera and concentrate on the play of luscious deep blacks and delicate whites fluttering in the breeze of the moment....

The camera allows one to explore luminance - sans the noise and bother of colour - a worthy companion.

Post Thanks / Like

Just love my mono
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@rayyen - beautiful set wow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the best
    Tried a few "tests" yesterday, with deliberate over-exposure. In LR, no amount of fiddling with exposure or highlight recovery brought back any detail in the over-exposed areas—I had some normal and slightly underexposed pix of the same things to compare.

I'll be interested to see just what Aperture can do.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the best
    Sorry for the "trenchant" response Jono, I didn't mean to be that pointed because I am open to knowing whether there is a better way. Unfortunately, I'm way down the road with LR, and all I've learned about it (I think there are ways to deal with almost blown highlights in LR also). So, ramping up another Software solution just for the few times I may have to deal with highlight areas, is not likely.

The Mono files are so malleable in the shadow areas that it seems best to just avoid the possibility of over-exposing the highlights. My tendency these days is to use LR for the most basic adjustments and swiftly move to Nik with its myriad heal-toe and contrast response options, tinting applications and refined B&W local tool adjustments, I rarely need extensive work in LR.

PP experiences that may be of interest to some,

if you have the complete set of Nik software that Google offered when it bought Nik, using a Mono file that you have processed in LR and/or Nik Silver Efex, then take it into Nik Color Efex and play around with some of the pre-sets … of particular interest is "Detail Extractor" which, when used with care and a subtile touch, will reveal just how much image data is in these files. I use it on white wedding dresses all the time to bring out super fine lace detail.

I have all the Nik software as plug-ins in Photoshop and use them there rather than LR because PS creates a layer to work with.

Here's another tip I learned with the MM files when working in PS, use the Gamma Correction slider rather than levels or curves when working with a selected area … it is very sensitive and recovers highlights amazingly well: Image > Adjustments> Exposure > Gamma Correction.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great Info Marc, thank you! It certainly would work with virtually any digital cameras B&W files with regards to blown highlights and detail recovery. I too use these Nik filters in PS for the very reason you mentioned...layers.

Now all this would of course work even better if I had a Monochrom...LOL! Hopefully someday.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

go Figure
    Really?

Wow, I need to fire up Aperture and check this out.
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a quick example of pulling up the shadows on a MM file in LR. Amazing what's in there.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's an extreme example of what the Monochrom can do. This was the MM + the 50mm AA taken soon after I got the lens. Totally mismetered. We see the original image file, the file pushed into usability in LR4, and then a 100% crop. Amazing, yes?

It's a great camera.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

go Figure
    I just took an image with overexposed forehead highlights into LR 5, Aperture and Capture One. Clearly, Aperture and Capture One did a better job of dealing with those hot spots.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

go Figure
    Hello Jono

I have been thinking about what you found, It is possible that Aperture is treating the blown highlights 255 -255 -255 as out of out-of-gamut colors, as in a Perceptual rendering intent.
    Possibly an algorithmic formula preserving some relationship say between 255 until 235. Moving the values (blending) while preserving the relationship in that range. That high in zone 9 -10 based on the surrounding areas (especially in B+W) which is all luminosity, it should blend in if the algorithm is written correct.
    So at least your are not printing paper white.
    There are some members, who write raw converters here, they would be interesting to hear from

Thanks

Phil

PS I love my monochrome also. - Just picked up an old Summar (1935) and a Summitar as old as I am