The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need CF card recovery advice for S2 images!

fotografz

Marc

Data Rescue 3 has always worked for me . With The DMR it wasn t unusual to get a corrupt card . In every case as the battery drained …the last few captures would not completely write to the card . You could easily find the corrupt images with DR3 …when the last few images were corrupted the write to the card would not be completed …result corrupt card . DR3 always found the other captures .

It can be the card ..but it also can be a battery issue ..even with a fresh battery . When the battery does t supply enough juice …no writes to the 2nd card .

Leica has been weak in this area since the DMR and I ve found similar issues with the M8 etc ..but never my S2.

Try DR3 .
Roger,

I've sent the CF card off to Sandisk's LC Technologies rather than muck with it and turn a possible minor derailment into an all day train wreak.

I did run the SD card through Sandisk Rescue Pro, and it retrieved 68 files from a previous shoot … but nothing from this shoot. So, per your observation that lacking adequate power, it never even wrote to the SD.

I am somewhat perplexed by all this as the battery showed 100% when installed, and the LCD showed the captures as I progressed … so my deepest hope is that they were written to the CF and something got corrupted toward the end, or the power glitch happened toward the end.

We'll see, but frankly, I am quite worried.

- Marc

fotografz

Update:

Ray from LC Technologies just called … they got all of them … 140 DNGs shot on June 14th starting at 5:20 PM. That tells me they are the right shots … all of them.

Whew, I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy.

Now I can go on vacation without a giant cloud of doom-and-gloom over my head.

Three cheers for Ray and his guys at LC Technologies !!! :clap:

Thanks to all GetDPI pals for their advice.

- Marc

BANKER1

Great news Marc. This is the news I was looking forward to hearing. I'm sure wedding photographers feel your pain. And, I'm also sure there are many, many times we have all shot events that are "once in a lifetime".

Greg

k-hawinkler

Marc, congratulations!

Maybe the failure mode is similar to the M9.
There, due to power mismanagement by the camera, the entire file system on the card can get corrupted. It happened to me with a SanDisk card.
Using a Panasonic SDHC card avoided the issue.

I wonder whether a similar remedy can be found for the S2.
Also, in the M9 case Leica was offering a recovery service.

Tim

Update:

Ray from LC Technologies just called … they got all of them … 140 DNGs shot on June 14th starting at 5:20 PM. That tells me they are the right shots … all of them.

- Marc
GREAT new Marc. Its good to know that the S2 did actually write the images.

I guess it goes without saying that once you get the images, make a backup !! :D:D

Once you have the images checked and safely backed up it would be interesting to know if any of the software listed here would of helped. I daresay LC will return the CF card and you could try. You may not want to be bothered though?!

fotografz

GREAT new Marc. Its good to know that the S2 did actually write the images.

I guess it goes without saying that once you get the images, make a backup !! :D:D

Once you have the images checked and safely backed up it would be interesting to know if any of the software listed here would of helped. I daresay LC will return the CF card and you could try. You may not want to be bothered though?!
Thanks Tim!

Yes, once I download, I triple back-up everything … and NEVER reuse the cards until the job is done and delivered. However, you have to be able to download in the first place to redundantly save in different locations. Neither my Mac Tower nor laptop could even see the card using different card readers.

LC technologies will now send the card to Sandisk who will then send me a replacement. So, I'll never be able to experiment with it. Just as well, since I'd never trust that card again anyway.

FYI, LC keeps the files for 30 days … just in case the DVD is lost in the mail, or some other cock-up happens.

Honestly, this job has been plagued with disasters or near disasters both natural and user induced. While I was working on the images lightening struck my house or near it with a teeth rattling, hair raising crash!

It interrupted power which my APC surge protector back-up battery handled, except it caused my expensive sound stick system speakers to go haywire, and disrupted the only HD I did not have plugged into the big APC battery … and I lost a couple retouched Tiffs from this job I had stored there temporarily even though the HD was plugged into a surge protected extension strip … which proved to be worthless.

I also made a newbie mistake myself on this job, which Lightroom saved me from my own stupidity because it automatically backs-itself up with all the corrections.

The initial download of images totaled 666, (the sign of the devil in horror stories), and it has proved to be prophetic.:rolleyes::ROTFL:

- Marc

leenamiller

Not Available
The simplest way to recover lost photos from corrupted CF memory card is to use a powerful Memory Card Recovery Software called Amrev Recover Photo . The software performs digital image recovery in a few moments and doesn't overwrite data as it is a read only application. In fact, the interface itself is so intuitive, that you don't have to read long boring manuals, and guides to understand it. It does image recovery in just three steps, scan media, select images, and click recover! And all the required images are recovered.