Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    June 12, 2014 | by Leon Baumgardt | No comments

    Leica will increase prices for several lenses on July 1, 2014. Mostly Leica S lenses are affected, but also the M-lens Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2.0 ASPH which will get a large increase of $900.

    Check it out here: leica-lenses-price-increase

    Bart ...

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Glad I snagged the APO 50 this past month
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  3. #3
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Old news.

    Leica Lens Prices Increases

    That said, another $900 for the APO is insane.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    The APO increase has to reflect how hard it is for them to make this lens. I'll bet the reject rate for lens elements going into it is huge.
    Brad Husick

  5. #5
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    The APO increase has to reflect how hard it is for them to make this lens. I'll bet the reject rate for lens elements going into it is huge.
    At $8,250 I'm sure they can afford a few. The Zeiss Otus cost half this much and it's got a lot more glass.

  6. #6
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Precisely! It's easier to make a boat anchor than a wristwatch.
    Brad Husick

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Wow... Two price increases in the same calendar year... That's the first time I remember this happening.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  8. #8
    Member Seascape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    When a mint condition Ver. 4 Summicron is somewhere around $1200, and a brand new Ver. 5 of the same optical design is $2300, paying this price for an Apo version of the same speed 50mm lens is……how should I say this……interesting !!

    Interesting, that a buyer can see the value in this exercise in optical design.

    Just my opinion of course.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Just $900 on the 50 Summicron APO, eh?

    I own quite a few Leica lenses, but I'm not going to sit here and defend pricing. Its ridiculous IMHO. Since I started buying Leica in 2006 it has gone off the charts completely.

    I won't be buying any Leica kit any more. I can't afford it and there are now decent alternatives so as to remove the need (for me).

    The brand is doing well, but it seems to be decreasingly associated with top photography, which is a shame. I own a MM and some great lenses, but its the end of the road now. Hello Sony, Panasonic, Fuji....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Just $900 on the 50 Summicron APO, eh?

    I own quite a few Leica lenses, but I'm not going to sit here and defend pricing. Its ridiculous IMHO. Since I started buying Leica in 2006 it has gone off the charts completely.

    I won't be buying any Leica kit any more. I can't afford it and there are now decent alternatives so as to remove the need (for me).

    The brand is doing well, but it seems to be decreasingly associated with top photography, which is a shame. I own a MM and some great lenses, but its the end of the road now. Hello Sony, Panasonic, Fuji....
    Yep, it's clear that my leica gear is increasingly more luxurious than even my spoiled self can stand. Though I do like the files very much, and the gear is wonderful in use, I wonder how much longer I'll stay with it.
    --Mike

    My Flickr

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    June 12, 2014 | by Leon Baumgardt | No comments

    Leica will increase prices for several lenses on July 1, 2014. Mostly Leica S lenses are affected, but also the M-lens Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2.0 ASPH which will get a large increase of $900.

    Check it out here: leica-lenses-price-increase

    HI Bart
    Is this Euro prices or just Dollar prices . . .

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    900 dollar - about 750 euro...

    talk about leica and you talk about several thousands, who cares about a few hundreds. if I was looking to buy in the leica luxury toy land, a few hundreds wouldn't put me off.

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn View Post
    900 dollar - about 750 euro...

    talk about leica and you talk about several thousands, who cares about a few hundreds. if I was looking to buy in the leica luxury toy land, a few hundreds wouldn't put me off.
    . .. Yes, but that's not what I mean - I'm not certain, but I think the price rises apply to the States, but not to Europe.

    Just this guy you know

  14. #14
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    For that $900 price increase alone, I'd rather buy another Fuji XF lens. LOL.

    These prices are ridiculous. I'm keeping what Leica gear I have (which is plenty) - and it's quite unlikely I'll be buying more.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    But its a few hundred on top of the last hike, that added a few hundred to the increase before that (and so on).

    The sad part is that spiralling new prices have pushed used prices up dramatically over the years, so you're stuffed either way (new or used). Its great for people who bought in ten years ago, used, and are now selling various lenses, but awful for everyone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn View Post
    900 dollar - about 750 euro...

    talk about leica and you talk about several thousands, who cares about a few hundreds. if I was looking to buy in the leica luxury toy land, a few hundreds wouldn't put me off.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    @jonoslack
    that's what i heard as well. usa only.
    no word about eu prices, yet.

    @turtle
    can't remember the last time something got cheaper in the photo toy land.
    example: 2008 canon lens prices (brand new) were cheaper than todays used prices for the same lenses. lenses bought in 2008 will most likely sell with a profit today.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica Lens Price Increase July 1, 2014

    mbn, sure, but the frequency of Leica rises seems (and maybe I am wrong here) to be much greater than with other brands. Maybe its because Leica rises tend to be announced and debated? I don't know, but while I would not expect Leica kit to go down in price, I am surprised at how often it keeps going up and by how much!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •