The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Releases Firmware v2.0.1.5 for M?

Auni

A short(?) review of the new firmware:

1) The Horizon Level is now enabled to superimpose over the LV-scene image. The menu option "Horizon" has a choice that enables this feature. This is one of my favorite new additions and it has been very handy when shooting my WATE. Once set up in the menu it is easily deployed by pressing the INFO button. Previously, it could only be shown on a blank screen and for me was unusable this way.

2) AUTO ISO is now available in Manual Mode (manual selection of shutter speeds). This is a great feature that was on previous digital M cameras and was changed on how it worked on the M240. I missed this a lot on the new M240 and just thought it seemed broken. Now, in the menu you can to choose if, you want the new AUTO ISO in M mode (to continue to change the ISO in response to changes you make in shutter speed) when, the Set menu choice (or ISO button) is set in "AUTO ISO in M mode" to "On." Hurray!

Maximum exposure time now allows up to 4 x f. Also, the ISO button shows all ISO settings at a glance - very nice addition.

3) Crop marks are now shown superimposed on the LCD screen when the up or down arrow is pressed. I like that not only 16:9 video aspect ratio is displayed to help line up the video before the record button is pressed, but also a host of other aspect ratios are available. I like the square aspect ratio and have been enjoying visualizing some shots like this.

4) A setting was added to disable the "M" button on the deck of the camera so recording can't be accidentally started when in a camera bag or from an accidental press. Also, those that never wanted video on their M can no disable it and pretend it isn't there.

5) A Classic Mode is available for those that don't want to use the LCD and don't want to accidentally hit the LV button. Some of you guys are going to get your wish and have a more classic M. Put some tape over the EVF port and the LCD screen and pretend you got a film M. Something for everyone.

6) One nice function, EV Control with the thumbwheel is an option in the menu. It was difficult to press the front button and turn the thumbwheel. Now, a more direct and easier way to simply change EV is allowed. Works really well and I know a lot of members have written that this was a big one. (I don't use EV comp, but that is for another discussion). Really nice response from Leica to a much requested and logical request. I bet Edward is pretty happy now.

7) Permanent Exposure Simulation is new. Now the LCD can display the exposure all the time without having to half press the shutter release. Nice for video and for all around use. This new feature works all the way down to 1/30 of a second. If, you want to see the exposure bellow 1/30 second, then you will have to use the choice of "release button half pressed." I've switched to this as my default mode.

8) A nice fix, the exposure bracketing now sticks when you turn the camera off. This was most annoying and made this feature previously unusable, for me. Maybe, now I'll experiment a little with HDR although, another set or two of brackets need to be added by Leica.

9) The LV lock-ups we experienced in hot environments has now been fixed. I am not sure how extensively this could be tested in a short period of time, but none of the Beta testers experienced a lock-up. I'm pretty sure there will be some reports of lock-ups as low batteries, multiple button presses, continuous mode, and memory cards or who knows what seem to plague some people from time to time.

10) LV focus peaking has some new colors. I seem to still like red. Maybe, there will be a circumstance I'll change this?

11) EXIF data issues that most probably were never aware of were fixed. This does cause LR and other programs to not report things like the lens information now. Auto Lens Detect in LR does not work after this FW update. Adobe has said they will update their side of this to resolve the changes made by Leica. It should be in the next Adobe LR update.

12) My screw mount lenses now work with LV! Yeah.

13) I don't use GPS or the grip, but updates to the location issues with JPEG have been addressed. Other cameras delete the location when there is no GPS signal and leave the EXIF data field blank, Leica chose to use the last location instead. Now, the location is deleted after 5min if no GPS signal is present. Somebody else will have to comment on this.

14) The sensor cleaning bug and a several others are now fixed. Some other stuff is in this FW as well.

No beta testers had bricked cameras or wished to go back to ver. 1.2. All in all, I found this a pretty impressive and extensive FW update. I find it makes an already solid camera just that much better and the added features were extremely welcome additions. Recommended. I have hopes Leica is getting settled in their new location and that this is just the beginning of more good things to come. :thumbup:

RickL

Auni

Jono, wow, that is a really nice write-up on your site. Wish I had a beautiful site like yours. And, wonderful pictures, as well. And, yes, it was fun and a lot of work. Great group of beta testers that left nothing on the table. Nothing was off limits as an issue. I think Leica took a lot away from that... they sure were responsive!

Rick

jonoslack

Jono, wow, that is a really nice write-up on your site. Wish I had a beautiful site like yours. And, wonderful pictures, as well. And, yes, it was fun and a lot of work. Great group of beta testers that left nothing on the table. Nothing was off limits as an issue. I think Leica took a lot away from that... they sure were responsive!

Rick
Hi Rick
Thank you!
We need to meet up in a pub sometime and discuss the difference between a bug and an infelicity. . . . We could also discuss why my lovely son is always giving me a hard time about how bad my website is!

All the best

algrove

A short(?) review of the new firmware:

1) The Horizon Level is now enabled to superimpose over the LV-scene image. The menu option "Horizon" has a choice that enables this feature. This is one of my favorite new additions and it has been very handy when shooting my WATE. Once set up in the menu it is easily deployed by pressing the INFO button. Previously, it could only be shown on a blank screen and for me was unusable this way.

2) AUTO ISO is now available in Manual Mode (manual selection of shutter speeds). This is a great feature that was on previous digital M cameras and was changed on how it worked on the M240. I missed this a lot on the new M240 and just thought it seemed broken. Now, in the menu you can to choose if, you want the new AUTO ISO in M mode (to continue to change the ISO in response to changes you make in shutter speed) when, the Set menu choice (or ISO button) is set in "AUTO ISO in M mode" to "On." Hurray!

Maximum exposure time now allows up to 4 x f. Also, the ISO button shows all ISO settings at a glance - very nice addition.

3) Crop marks are now shown superimposed on the LCD screen when the up or down arrow is pressed. I like that not only 16:9 video aspect ratio is displayed to help line up the video before the record button is pressed, but also a host of other aspect ratios are available. I like the square aspect ratio and have been enjoying visualizing some shots like this.

4) A setting was added to disable the "M" button on the deck of the camera so recording can't be accidentally started when in a camera bag or from an accidental press. Also, those that never wanted video on their M can no disable it and pretend it isn't there.

5) A Classic Mode is available for those that don't want to use the LCD and don't want to accidentally hit the LV button. Some of you guys are going to get your wish and have a more classic M. Put some tape over the EVF port and the LCD screen and pretend you got a film M. Something for everyone.

6) One nice function, EV Control with the thumbwheel is an option in the menu. It was difficult to press the front button and turn the thumbwheel. Now, a more direct and easier way to simply change EV is allowed. Works really well and I know a lot of members have written that this was a big one. (I don't use EV comp, but that is for another discussion). Really nice response from Leica to a much requested and logical request. I bet Edward is pretty happy now.

7) Permanent Exposure Simulation is new. Now the LCD can display the exposure all the time without having to half press the shutter release. Nice for video and for all around use. This new feature works all the way down to 1/30 of a second. If, you want to see the exposure bellow 1/30 second, then you will have to use the choice of "release button half pressed." I've switched to this as my default mode.

8) A nice fix, the exposure bracketing now sticks when you turn the camera off. This was most annoying and made this feature previously unusable, for me. Maybe, now I'll experiment a little with HDR although, another set or two of brackets need to be added by Leica.

9) The LV lock-ups we experienced in hot environments has now been fixed. I am not sure how extensively this could be tested in a short period of time, but none of the Beta testers experienced a lock-up. I'm pretty sure there will be some reports of lock-ups as low batteries, multiple button presses, continuous mode, and memory cards or who knows what seem to plague some people from time to time.

10) LV focus peaking has some new colors. I seem to still like red. Maybe, there will be a circumstance I'll change this?

11) EXIF data issues that most probably were never aware of were fixed. This does cause LR and other programs to not report things like the lens information now. Auto Lens Detect in LR does not work after this FW update. Adobe has said they will update their side of this to resolve the changes made by Leica. It should be in the next Adobe LR update.

12) My screw mount lenses now work with LV! Yeah.

13) I don't use GPS or the grip, but updates to the location issues with JPEG have been addressed. Other cameras delete the location when there is no GPS signal and leave the EXIF data field blank, Leica chose to use the last location instead. Now, the location is deleted after 5min if no GPS signal is present. Somebody else will have to comment on this.

14) The sensor cleaning bug and a several others are now fixed. Some other stuff is in this FW as well.

No beta testers had bricked cameras or wished to go back to ver. 1.2. All in all, I found this a pretty impressive and extensive FW update. I find it makes an already solid camera just that much better and the added features were extremely welcome additions. Recommended. I have hopes Leica is getting settled in their new location and that this is just the beginning of more good things to come. :thumbup:

RickL
This is not a FW update! It's like three or more in one. WOW-great job.

Auni

John - Leica stated that it was a temperature protect problem that was causing the LV to shut down.

scatesmd - There was no discussion.

Rick

John Black

I get that, I was trying to find out if Leica got more aggressive and is letting the sensor run hotter before shutting down, or did the find a way to better manage power and reduce heat build-up, or...?...

LV has been shutting down my camera even 80º F temperatures after just 10-20 seconds and several exposures. I only have lock-ups when using LV or having used LV within a minute or two prior. I can't say the LV was the culprit, just that it was always in the mix one way or another.

My hope is that Leica found a way to modulate power or something like that, and in turn reducing heat build-up. We're headed into the 100º's, so the new firmware will get fully tested :)

Auni

On the first beta-testing last August I spent 4 weeks in Southern Europe with temperatures above 35C degrees. Shot over 5,000 pictures and tried to test the EVF... it became unusable due to almost constant lock-ups. I gave up on the EVF for the rest of the trip. I discussed it with Leica and they were aware of the problem and solved it in FW. No mention of whether it was power management. I was lead to believe the just upped the allowed operating temperature.

Durring beta testing of ver. 1.5, no testers over 4 weeks reported lock-ups. But, I suspect there are always going to be some small number of reports with the M240... now just not ones specific to the EVF temp issue.

Last edited:

Auni

Any reductions in my lockups will be welcomed since I often use the EVF.
Hi Lou. Yeah, me too. I found the EVF unusable in the previous version. I'd put it on the camera for the occasional WATE shot. But, the lock-up problem made me miss too many shots. So, I just put the EVF away.

So far I haven't had a problem with the EVF over the last 4-weeks with ver. 1.5. Maybe, it is fixed! But, you know where I live, so I can't say for sure until I travel this summer to a hotter temperate zone.

Let us know how it works for you this summer when you travel to the SW.

Rick

jaymz007

Hi I don't know if my M was a weird one but now I can shoot my M like a monochrome.
The black and white function never work when importing the file to LR.
The images would show up in color even if I set the image mode to black and white.
Now with the new firmware if I set the files for black and white the images imports into LR in black and white only.

PS I know this is not the right place to write this but can someone help me with cleaning my sensor on my camera. I have relentlessly tried to use eclipse and sensor swab to clean the sensor but every time the dust just shows up in different locations on the sensor and I just can't get rid of it all. I also think that maybe there is dust on the shutter it self in the inside by the sensor.
Thanks guys
Jaymz

John Black

On the first beta-testing last August I spent 4 weeks in Southern Europe with temperatures above 35C degrees. Shot over 5,000 pictures and tried to test the EVF... it became unusable due to almost constant lock-ups. I gave up on the EVF for the rest of the trip. I discussed it with Leica and they were aware of the problem and solved it in FW. No mention of whether it was power management. I was lead to believe the just upped the allowed operating temperature.

Durring beta testing of ver. 1.5, no testers over 4 weeks reported lock-ups. But, I suspect there are always going to be some small number of reports with the M240... now just not ones specific to the EVF temp issue.
Thank you for the reply. About 6 months ago I download the firmware and viewed it in a text editor. More than 50% of the text was garbled gibberish, but between the garble, there many references to temperature. So, I was guessing 2.0.1.5 tweaked some thresholds. I had hoped Leica implemented a fix that addressed the cause, but that would probably require hardware improvements. Anyway, we'll know soon enough if firmware 2.0.1.5 is a good work around.

ReeRay

Hi I don't know if my M was a weird one but now I can shoot my M like a monochrome.
The images would show up in color even if I set the image mode to black and white.
Now with the new firmware if I set the files for black and white the images imports into LR in black and white only.

PS I know this is not the right place to write this but can someone help me with cleaning my sensor on my camera. I have relentlessly tried to use eclipse and sensor swab to clean the sensor but every time the dust just shows up in different locations on the sensor and I just can't get rid of it all. I also think that maybe there is dust on the shutter it self in the inside by the sensor.
Thanks guys
Jaymz
I imagine you're shooting jpeg as this indeed will stay black and white. RAW is RAW and will stay colour.

I've answered your sensor cleaning problem (hopefully)

Robert Campbell

Thank you for the reply. About 6 months ago I download the firmware and viewed it in a text editor. More than 50% of the text was garbled gibberish, but between the garble, there many references to temperature. So, I was guessing 2.0.1.5 tweaked some thresholds. I had hoped Leica implemented a fix that addressed the cause, but that would probably require hardware improvements. Anyway, we'll know soon enough if firmware 2.0.1.5 is a good work around.
What's the point of garbled gibberish? Why put it in? Or does it somehow just appear?

CVickery

Sounds like you were shooting RAW before...always will show up as color regardless of settings. The firmware update reverts to jpg so all settings show in the pics.

Thanks guys
Jaymz

scott kirkpatrick

About 6 months ago I download the firmware and viewed it in a text editor. More than 50% of the text was garbled gibberish, but between the garble, there many references to temperature.
That's interesting. When you look at M9 firmware in a Windows text editor (the simpler, the better, like NotePad) you see nothing but Oriental characters. This seemed to mean that the bits in the firmware had been encrypted or randomized before shipping it, and that the M9 would decrypt this code before installing it. In the M8 and now the M240, you can read all sorts of text strings as they will appear on the camera screen. It took a bit of searching around, but in the M8 firmware it was possible to spot tables of information that produced the EXIF data in the output files. Since this is the last thing that Leica's engineers get around to while fixing more serious bugs, users like me or Carl Bretteville could identify why certain lenses would claim to have a maximum aperture of 1.0, signifying that this field in the tables had not been filled in. Perhaps if this kind of lapse persists in the M240, we amateur sleuths can help to spot the causes.

As an exercise, load up the new firmware in NotePad and use "find" to look for "Summilux".

scott

scott kirkpatrick

What's the point of garbled gibberish? Why put it in? Or does it somehow just appear?
He's describing how binary machine code looks when viewed in a text editor. Where there are embedded strings of text, to be used as error messages or simply to help the program developers, you can see them. But a program looks like gibberish, and the many tables that fill the firmware file look like carefully graded gibberish, with values that increase monotonically through the character sets for which we know the binary codes.

scott

Robert Campbell

He's describing how binary machine code looks when viewed in a text editor. Where there are embedded strings of text, to be used as error messages or simply to help the program developers, you can see them. But a program looks like gibberish, and the many tables that fill the firmware file look like carefully graded gibberish, with values that increase monotonically through the character sets for which we know the binary codes.

scott
Thanks for that!