Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica Releases Firmware v2.0.1.5 for M?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Leica Releases Firmware v2.0.1.5 for M?

Leica is teasing us... Links for the Leica M firmware v2.0.1.5 have been posted but return a 403 currently:

Leica Releases Firmware v2.0.1.5 for M?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica Releases Firmware v2.0.1.5 for M?

I've downloaded the update. For me, it's the release notes that is 403ed.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

On the Leica User Forum there is some discussion that the release date on the new firmware is June 30. Also it seems several people downloaded something that looked as if it was 2.1.5 or whatever, but it was exactly the same size as the previous firmware. Meanwhile a possible beta tester hints that the new firmware is much larger. That would mean, if true, that many tables of vignette and other corrections have been added, since it is hard to see that new programming would take that much space. The website lists the new firmware at 9 MB, the previous release as 7.4 MB. But we'll see.

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 27th June 2014 at 14:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, what I downloaded is apparently the old firmware labeled as the new.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This was the list of the last improvements hardly much of anything for 7mb what can you cram in to (9mb) hoping for the best!

Improved performance of the Whitebalance
    The accuracy of the Whitebalance presets and the Autowhitebalance function is higher with Vs. 2.0.0.11.
    This results in better skin tones and better general color rendering.
    Improved Video quality
    The visibility of compression artifacts is reduced due to lower video compression.
    Lens calibration
    For coded Leica lenses the image homogeneity (color shift) has been improved.
    General Bugfixes
    _Improved stability using Live View with and without EVF-2
    _Problem with Display settings in combination with “Sharpness high” fixed
    _Problem with bad exposures after switching the camera on fixed.
    _The “Auto Power Off” function showed unexpected behavior, this is fixed.
    _The recording dates for video files have been wrong sometimes, this is fixed.
    _Problem with Copyright- and Artist-Information in EXIF-Data fixed
    _Improvement of general system stability
    _Several minor bugfixes

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect there is an improvement in auto iso function as well. Just a guess….Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightbulb Re: Leica Releases Firmware v2.0.1.5 for M?

Yes-there is. And a little cherry.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the release date is June 30th; the URL that passed around is bogus as it just downloads .12. Unfortunately, that list of updates above is from that release also.

Won't be long now... Supposed to be a "nice" update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a very nice extensive update and all Beta testers are to be congratulated immensely.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

But where the heck is it? All the download links hand out is 403.

//Juha

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Wetzlar must be sleeping in today. Still 403. Oh well. Patience.

Updated the original story with the CHANGES!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That Russian list of changes is incomplete I fear.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Download is working now. There is a firmware file, a list of changes in many languages, and the usual instructions on where to stuff it all and which button to push.

And the changes in function look great to me. Video disabled! Live View not coming up when you don't want it to! Auto-ISO in manual! and lots more....

scott

PS: note that after installing the new firmware you must reset all parameters that might have been changed back to defaults.
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 30th June 2014 at 08:34. Reason: notices firmware upgrade is also a default reset

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

It's official: Leica Releases Firmware v2.0.1.5 for M

Full details and working links.

Post Thanks / Like

So now purists can disable both live view and video.. that'll turn the camera into a more traditional M. I guess it's important for some :-)

//Juha

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Played with an M240 again for the first time since early launch days yesterday. What stands out to me, again, are the vastly improved responsiveness of the shutter release and the shot-to-shot times. The older EV Compensation business was poor ergonomics ... I like that this FW update puts the dial in direct control without needing to hold down a button.

Not in a buying mood at present, but I could see selling my X2 and M9 to offset the cost of an M240 body. I'm just not sure it's worth it given that my experience using the Sony A7 and Leica R lenses is so good.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. sounds like we can start waiting for the new. Ay, Godfrey? The signs are in the air..

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

The M240 starts now getting really interesting for me - finally!

If Leica would now bring an M260 with that FW status, size of the M9P and new EFV from the Leica T that would make me get back into a digital M system immediately - at least as fast as they can deliver :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    The M240 starts now getting really interesting for me - finally!

If Leica would now bring an M260 with that FW status, size of the M9P and new EFV from the Leica T that would make me get back into a digital M system immediately - at least as fast as they can deliver :-)
    In handling the M240*side by side with the M9, I didn't feel that it was noticeably larger than the M9. Without the bulbous protuberance of the M9's four-way controller and surrounding ring, it felt trimmer in my hands.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    Hmm.. sounds like we can start waiting for the new. Ay, Godfrey? The signs are in the air..

//Juha
    LOL!

No, don't. I'll be shooting with A7, E-M1, and various Polaroids through the rest of this year I suspect.

G

Post Thanks / Like

A short(?) review of the new firmware:

1) The Horizon Level is now enabled to superimpose over the LV-scene image. The menu option "Horizon" has a choice that enables this feature. This is one of my favorite new additions and it has been very handy when shooting my WATE. Once set up in the menu it is easily deployed by pressing the INFO button. Previously, it could only be shown on a blank screen and for me was unusable this way.

2) AUTO ISO is now available in Manual Mode (manual selection of shutter speeds). This is a great feature that was on previous digital M cameras and was changed on how it worked on the M240. I missed this a lot on the new M240 and just thought it seemed broken. Now, in the menu you can to choose if, you want the new AUTO ISO in M mode (to continue to change the ISO in response to changes you make in shutter speed) when, the Set menu choice (or ISO button) is set in "AUTO ISO in M mode" to "On." Hurray!

Maximum exposure time now allows up to 4 x f. Also, the ISO button shows all ISO settings at a glance - very nice addition.

3) Crop marks are now shown superimposed on the LCD screen when the up or down arrow is pressed. I like that not only 16:9 video aspect ratio is displayed to help line up the video before the record button is pressed, but also a host of other aspect ratios are available. I like the square aspect ratio and have been enjoying visualizing some shots like this.

4) A setting was added to disable the "M" button on the deck of the camera so recording can't be accidentally started when in a camera bag or from an accidental press. Also, those that never wanted video on their M can no disable it and pretend it isn't there.

5) A Classic Mode is available for those that don't want to use the LCD and don't want to accidentally hit the LV button. Some of you guys are going to get your wish and have a more classic M. Put some tape over the EVF port and the LCD screen and pretend you got a film M. Something for everyone.

6) One nice function, EV Control with the thumbwheel is an option in the menu. It was difficult to press the front button and turn the thumbwheel. Now, a more direct and easier way to simply change EV is allowed. Works really well and I know a lot of members have written that this was a big one. (I don't use EV comp, but that is for another discussion). Really nice response from Leica to a much requested and logical request. I bet Edward is pretty happy now.

7) Permanent Exposure Simulation is new. Now the LCD can display the exposure all the time without having to half press the shutter release. Nice for video and for all around use. This new feature works all the way down to 1/30 of a second. If, you want to see the exposure bellow 1/30 second, then you will have to use the choice of "release button half pressed." I've switched to this as my default mode.

8) A nice fix, the exposure bracketing now sticks when you turn the camera off. This was most annoying and made this feature previously unusable, for me. Maybe, now I'll experiment a little with HDR although, another set or two of brackets need to be added by Leica.

9) The LV lock-ups we experienced in hot environments has now been fixed. I am not sure how extensively this could be tested in a short period of time, but none of the Beta testers experienced a lock-up. I'm pretty sure there will be some reports of lock-ups as low batteries, multiple button presses, continuous mode, and memory cards or who knows what seem to plague some people from time to time.

10) LV focus peaking has some new colors. I seem to still like red. Maybe, there will be a circumstance I'll change this?

11) EXIF data issues that most probably were never aware of were fixed. This does cause LR and other programs to not report things like the lens information now. Auto Lens Detect in LR does not work after this FW update. Adobe has said they will update their side of this to resolve the changes made by Leica. It should be in the next Adobe LR update.

12) My screw mount lenses now work with LV! Yeah.

13) I don't use GPS or the grip, but updates to the location issues with JPEG have been addressed. Other cameras delete the location when there is no GPS signal and leave the EXIF data field blank, Leica chose to use the last location instead. Now, the location is deleted after 5min if no GPS signal is present. Somebody else will have to comment on this.

14) The sensor cleaning bug and a several others are now fixed. Some other stuff is in this FW as well.

No beta testers had bricked cameras or wished to go back to ver. 1.2. All in all, I found this a pretty impressive and extensive FW update. I find it makes an already solid camera just that much better and the added features were extremely welcome additions. Recommended. I have hopes Leica is getting settled in their new location and that this is just the beginning of more good things to come.

RickL
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent write up Rick
    It was a fun exercise wasn't it!

I've done one as well, although I'm not sure that I have that much to add

firmware 2.0.1.5 a short summary

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, wow, that is a really nice write-up on your site. Wish I had a beautiful site like yours. And, wonderful pictures, as well. And, yes, it was fun and a lot of work. Great group of beta testers that left nothing on the table. Nothing was off limits as an issue. I think Leica took a lot away from that... they sure were responsive!

Rick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Auni View Post
    Jono, wow, that is a really nice write-up on your site. Wish I had a beautiful site like yours. And, wonderful pictures, as well. And, yes, it was fun and a lot of work. Great group of beta testers that left nothing on the table. Nothing was off limits as an issue. I think Leica took a lot away from that... they sure were responsive!

Rick
    Hi Rick
    Thank you!
    We need to meet up in a pub sometime and discuss the difference between a bug and an infelicity. . . . We could also discuss why my lovely son is always giving me a hard time about how bad my website is!

All the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A short(?) review of the new firmware:

1) The Horizon Level is now enabled to superimpose over the LV-scene image. The menu option "Horizon" has a choice that enables this feature. This is one of my favorite new additions and it has been very handy when shooting my WATE. Once set up in the menu it is easily deployed by pressing the INFO button. Previously, it could only be shown on a blank screen and for me was unusable this way.

2) AUTO ISO is now available in Manual Mode (manual selection of shutter speeds). This is a great feature that was on previous digital M cameras and was changed on how it worked on the M240. I missed this a lot on the new M240 and just thought it seemed broken. Now, in the menu you can to choose if, you want the new AUTO ISO in M mode (to continue to change the ISO in response to changes you make in shutter speed) when, the Set menu choice (or ISO button) is set in "AUTO ISO in M mode" to "On." Hurray!

Maximum exposure time now allows up to 4 x f. Also, the ISO button shows all ISO settings at a glance - very nice addition.

3) Crop marks are now shown superimposed on the LCD screen when the up or down arrow is pressed. I like that not only 16:9 video aspect ratio is displayed to help line up the video before the record button is pressed, but also a host of other aspect ratios are available. I like the square aspect ratio and have been enjoying visualizing some shots like this.

4) A setting was added to disable the "M" button on the deck of the camera so recording can't be accidentally started when in a camera bag or from an accidental press. Also, those that never wanted video on their M can no disable it and pretend it isn't there.

5) A Classic Mode is available for those that don't want to use the LCD and don't want to accidentally hit the LV button. Some of you guys are going to get your wish and have a more classic M. Put some tape over the EVF port and the LCD screen and pretend you got a film M. Something for everyone.

6) One nice function, EV Control with the thumbwheel is an option in the menu. It was difficult to press the front button and turn the thumbwheel. Now, a more direct and easier way to simply change EV is allowed. Works really well and I know a lot of members have written that this was a big one. (I don't use EV comp, but that is for another discussion). Really nice response from Leica to a much requested and logical request. I bet Edward is pretty happy now.

7) Permanent Exposure Simulation is new. Now the LCD can display the exposure all the time without having to half press the shutter release. Nice for video and for all around use. This new feature works all the way down to 1/30 of a second. If, you want to see the exposure bellow 1/30 second, then you will have to use the choice of "release button half pressed." I've switched to this as my default mode.

8) A nice fix, the exposure bracketing now sticks when you turn the camera off. This was most annoying and made this feature previously unusable, for me. Maybe, now I'll experiment a little with HDR although, another set or two of brackets need to be added by Leica.

9) The LV lock-ups we experienced in hot environments has now been fixed. I am not sure how extensively this could be tested in a short period of time, but none of the Beta testers experienced a lock-up. I'm pretty sure there will be some reports of lock-ups as low batteries, multiple button presses, continuous mode, and memory cards or who knows what seem to plague some people from time to time.

10) LV focus peaking has some new colors. I seem to still like red. Maybe, there will be a circumstance I'll change this?

11) EXIF data issues that most probably were never aware of were fixed. This does cause LR and other programs to not report things like the lens information now. Auto Lens Detect in LR does not work after this FW update. Adobe has said they will update their side of this to resolve the changes made by Leica. It should be in the next Adobe LR update.

12) My screw mount lenses now work with LV! Yeah.

13) I don't use GPS or the grip, but updates to the location issues with JPEG have been addressed. Other cameras delete the location when there is no GPS signal and leave the EXIF data field blank, Leica chose to use the last location instead. Now, the location is deleted after 5min if no GPS signal is present. Somebody else will have to comment on this.

14) The sensor cleaning bug and a several others are now fixed. Some other stuff is in this FW as well.

No beta testers had bricked cameras or wished to go back to ver. 1.2. All in all, I found this a pretty impressive and extensive FW update. I find it makes an already solid camera just that much better and the added features were extremely welcome additions. Recommended. I have hopes Leica is getting settled in their new location and that this is just the beginning of more good things to come.

RickL
    This is not a FW update! It's like three or more in one. WOW-great job.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono - do you know what Leica did to reduce the LV lock ups? Just curious. Thank you.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

Was there any discussion about changing the time exposure limits?

Thanks, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

John - Leica stated that it was a temperature protect problem that was causing the LV to shut down.

scatesmd - There was no discussion.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I get that, I was trying to find out if Leica got more aggressive and is letting the sensor run hotter before shutting down, or did the find a way to better manage power and reduce heat build-up, or...?...

LV has been shutting down my camera even 80º F temperatures after just 10-20 seconds and several exposures. I only have lock-ups when using LV or having used LV within a minute or two prior. I can't say the LV was the culprit, just that it was always in the mix one way or another.

My hope is that Leica found a way to modulate power or something like that, and in turn reducing heat build-up. We're headed into the 100º's, so the new firmware will get fully tested

Post Thanks / Like

On the first beta-testing last August I spent 4 weeks in Southern Europe with temperatures above 35C degrees. Shot over 5,000 pictures and tried to test the EVF... it became unusable due to almost constant lock-ups. I gave up on the EVF for the rest of the trip. I discussed it with Leica and they were aware of the problem and solved it in FW. No mention of whether it was power management. I was lead to believe the just upped the allowed operating temperature.

Durring beta testing of ver. 1.5, no testers over 4 weeks reported lock-ups. But, I suspect there are always going to be some small number of reports with the M240... now just not ones specific to the EVF temp issue.
    Last edited by Auni; 1st July 2014 at 16:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any reductions in my lockups will be welcomed since I often use the EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Any reductions in my lockups will be welcomed since I often use the EVF.
    Hi Lou. Yeah, me too. I found the EVF unusable in the previous version. I'd put it on the camera for the occasional WATE shot. But, the lock-up problem made me miss too many shots. So, I just put the EVF away.

So far I haven't had a problem with the EVF over the last 4-weeks with ver. 1.5. Maybe, it is fixed! But, you know where I live, so I can't say for sure until I travel this summer to a hotter temperate zone.

Let us know how it works for you this summer when you travel to the SW.

Rick
    flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I don't know if my M was a weird one but now I can shoot my M like a monochrome.
    The black and white function never work when importing the file to LR.
    The images would show up in color even if I set the image mode to black and white.
    Now with the new firmware if I set the files for black and white the images imports into LR in black and white only.

PS I know this is not the right place to write this but can someone help me with cleaning my sensor on my camera. I have relentlessly tried to use eclipse and sensor swab to clean the sensor but every time the dust just shows up in different locations on the sensor and I just can't get rid of it all. I also think that maybe there is dust on the shutter it self in the inside by the sensor.
    Thanks guys
    Jaymz

Post Thanks / Like

On the first beta-testing last August I spent 4 weeks in Southern Europe with temperatures above 35C degrees. Shot over 5,000 pictures and tried to test the EVF... it became unusable due to almost constant lock-ups. I gave up on the EVF for the rest of the trip. I discussed it with Leica and they were aware of the problem and solved it in FW. No mention of whether it was power management. I was lead to believe the just upped the allowed operating temperature.

Durring beta testing of ver. 1.5, no testers over 4 weeks reported lock-ups. But, I suspect there are always going to be some small number of reports with the M240... now just not ones specific to the EVF temp issue.
    Thank you for the reply. About 6 months ago I download the firmware and viewed it in a text editor. More than 50% of the text was garbled gibberish, but between the garble, there many references to temperature. So, I was guessing 2.0.1.5 tweaked some thresholds. I had hoped Leica implemented a fix that addressed the cause, but that would probably require hardware improvements. Anyway, we'll know soon enough if firmware 2.0.1.5 is a good work around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaymz007 View Post
    Hi I don't know if my M was a weird one but now I can shoot my M like a monochrome.
    The images would show up in color even if I set the image mode to black and white.
    Now with the new firmware if I set the files for black and white the images imports into LR in black and white only.

PS I know this is not the right place to write this but can someone help me with cleaning my sensor on my camera. I have relentlessly tried to use eclipse and sensor swab to clean the sensor but every time the dust just shows up in different locations on the sensor and I just can't get rid of it all. I also think that maybe there is dust on the shutter it self in the inside by the sensor.
    Thanks guys
    Jaymz
    I imagine you're shooting jpeg as this indeed will stay black and white. RAW is RAW and will stay colour.

I've answered your sensor cleaning problem (hopefully)
    "There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer." - Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Thank you for the reply. About 6 months ago I download the firmware and viewed it in a text editor. More than 50% of the text was garbled gibberish, but between the garble, there many references to temperature. So, I was guessing 2.0.1.5 tweaked some thresholds. I had hoped Leica implemented a fix that addressed the cause, but that would probably require hardware improvements. Anyway, we'll know soon enough if firmware 2.0.1.5 is a good work around.
    What's the point of garbled gibberish? Why put it in? Or does it somehow just appear?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you were shooting RAW before...always will show up as color regardless of settings. The firmware update reverts to jpg so all settings show in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymz007 View Post

Thanks guys
    Jaymz

Post Thanks / Like

About 6 months ago I download the firmware and viewed it in a text editor. More than 50% of the text was garbled gibberish, but between the garble, there many references to temperature.
    That's interesting. When you look at M9 firmware in a Windows text editor (the simpler, the better, like NotePad) you see nothing but Oriental characters. This seemed to mean that the bits in the firmware had been encrypted or randomized before shipping it, and that the M9 would decrypt this code before installing it. In the M8 and now the M240, you can read all sorts of text strings as they will appear on the camera screen. It took a bit of searching around, but in the M8 firmware it was possible to spot tables of information that produced the EXIF data in the output files. Since this is the last thing that Leica's engineers get around to while fixing more serious bugs, users like me or Carl Bretteville could identify why certain lenses would claim to have a maximum aperture of 1.0, signifying that this field in the tables had not been filled in. Perhaps if this kind of lapse persists in the M240, we amateur sleuths can help to spot the causes.

As an exercise, load up the new firmware in NotePad and use "find" to look for "Summilux".

scott
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    What's the point of garbled gibberish? Why put it in? Or does it somehow just appear?
    He's describing how binary machine code looks when viewed in a text editor. Where there are embedded strings of text, to be used as error messages or simply to help the program developers, you can see them. But a program looks like gibberish, and the many tables that fill the firmware file look like carefully graded gibberish, with values that increase monotonically through the character sets for which we know the binary codes.

scott
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    He's describing how binary machine code looks when viewed in a text editor. Where there are embedded strings of text, to be used as error messages or simply to help the program developers, you can see them. But a program looks like gibberish, and the many tables that fill the firmware file look like carefully graded gibberish, with values that increase monotonically through the character sets for which we know the binary codes.

scott
    Thanks for that!
    Sláinte

Robert.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a ton of English strings in the M240 firmware, and even more line noise. But I found this one most interesting:

6Softune REALOS/FR is Realtime OS for FR Family, based on micro-ITRON COPYRIGHT(C) FUJITSU LIMITED 1994-1999

and...

Copyright (c) 2005-2007 Tokyo Electron

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - do you know what Leica did to reduce the LV lock ups? Just curious. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by scatesmd View Post
    Hi Jono,

Was there any discussion about changing the time exposure limits?

Thanks, Steve
    HI John
    Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been busy with Pink Ladies on Tractors.

. .
    I'm sorry to have to report that I don't know what they did to reduce the lockups - only that they did it. I do remember some discussion about changing time exposure limits, and I think that it's down to caution and temperature, but it was a long time ago, and I'm not certain!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    And that's where things get blurry... I think we may be seeing slow firmware development because the FR product line and the OS was sold to a company called Spansion (April 2013 Press Release). Alot of the documentation is still on Fujitsu's website, but it also Spansion's website too (see here). Leica may have had to get new agreements (for licensing fees?) in place with Spansion before issuing OS updates. This change of ownership could also cause a disruption in the Maestro chip successor. This is all speculation on my part and the product of too much time on Google

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    That's interesting. When you look at M9 firmware in a Windows text editor (the simpler, the better, like NotePad) you see nothing but Oriental characters. This seemed to mean that the bits in the firmware had been encrypted or randomized before shipping it, and that the M9 would decrypt this code before installing it. In the M8 and now the M240, you can read all sorts of text strings as they will appear on the camera screen. It took a bit of searching around, but in the M8 firmware it was possible to spot tables of information that produced the EXIF data in the output files. Since this is the last thing that Leica's engineers get around to while fixing more serious bugs, users like me or Carl Bretteville could identify why certain lenses would claim to have a maximum aperture of 1.0, signifying that this field in the tables had not been filled in. Perhaps if this kind of lapse persists in the M240, we amateur sleuths can help to spot the causes.

As an exercise, load up the new firmware in NotePad and use "find" to look for "Summilux".

scott

Yep, you caught me 28m F1.4 Summilux-M ASPH came to mind during my search

But other things were interesting too - like Leica NOT embedding the lens name into the EXIF, yet the data tables existed in the firmware, so what happened there...?... Leica fixed that in 2.0.15, but why was it messed up in the first place? There are also parameters for auto-focus, but assuming this firmware starts as some sort "off the shelf" code, the firmware writers may simply "turn off" parts of code for the M-240 and "turn on" for the Leica S/S2. Or, perhaps more interesting, did the M-240's firmware start with the Leica S2's? Seems like a stupid idea, but since both use the Maestro chip, maybe?

I'd be interested to know if Leica sent the specs and had a 3rd party customize the firmware or if Leica did / does it in-house with their own staff. Given all the customizations, I'd like to see it done in-house for continuity reasons. And looking forward, a camera like the Model T is essentially all firmware. If that is the direction Leica is headed (in terms of GUI's, etc), then I'd want 100% control over that software team.

I'd love to know how those Green Lantern guys take apart Canon's firmware and put it back together. If they can do it, then maybe some very motivated people could do the same for Leica's firmware.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd be interested to know if Leica sent the specs and had a 3rd party customize the firmware or if Leica did / does it in-house with their own staff. Given all the customizations, I'd like to see it done in-house for continuity reasons. And looking forward, a camera like the Model T is essentially all firmware. If that is the direction Leica is headed (in terms of GUI's, etc), then I'd want 100% control over that software team.
    Hi There John
    I can't comment on the actual programming, but I'm pretty certain that it's done in house with their own staff.

Just this guy you know

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

And that's where things get blurry... I think we may be seeing slow firmware development because the FR product line and the OS was sold to a company called Spansion (April 2013 Press Release). Alot of the documentation is still on Fujitsu's website, but it also Spansion's website too (see here). Leica may have had to get new agreements (for licensing fees?) in place with Spansion before issuing OS updates. This change of ownership could also cause a disruption in the Maestro chip successor. This is all speculation on my part and the product of too much time on Google
    Exactly what I was thinking too. The Spansion acquisition probably muddled things up. Because really, this is the first "real" update to the firmware. The previous one was an "internal" update mostly, and the one before that fixed very minor issues. Seems they've been saving up all the good stuff with plenty of time to work on it.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

...I'd love to know how those Green Lantern guys take apart Canon's firmware and put it back together. If they can do it, then maybe some very motivated people could do the same for Leica's firmware.
    FWIW, a hacked firmware exists for Pentax cameras that use the same/similar Fujitsu/Spansion FR microcontrollers. It wouldn't be a stretch. Thing is, Leica has such a small marketshare compared to even Pentax, I'd wager. Same way malware authors target Windows instead of Mac OS X.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Sony A7's didn't exist, then maybe the video guys would be more interested in getting more out of the Leica cameras. But now it's just too easy to put a 35, 50 or 90mm M lens on the Sony A7's and get video and high ISO from that platform. I'm not expect "Red Lantern" software for the M-240 100º F temps have officially arrived in Texas, so we'll how the M-240 does with its new firmware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I normally use the A setting on the exposure dial; I've set the maximum ISO and the maximum shutter is set to 1/2 times focal length.

This works fine with coded lenses, and I usually have the coding to automatic. But, it all breaks down if the lens isn't coded. The camera doesn't know the focal length to work out the maximum shutter speed, obviously; and it's very slow to change the ISO.

So, you can either enter a code manually, or set the maximum shutter speed to a value you're happy with, leaving the ISO on automatic. Or use manual mode, set a shutter speed and leave the auto ISO to its business.
    Sláinte

Robert.