The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Releases Firmware v2.0.1.5 for M?

scott kirkpatrick

On the Leica User Forum there is some discussion that the release date on the new firmware is June 30. Also it seems several people downloaded something that looked as if it was 2.1.5 or whatever, but it was exactly the same size as the previous firmware. Meanwhile a possible beta tester hints that the new firmware is much larger. That would mean, if true, that many tables of vignette and other corrections have been added, since it is hard to see that new programming would take that much space. The website lists the new firmware at 9 MB, the previous release as 7.4 MB. But we'll see.

scott

Last edited:

bab

This was the list of the last improvements hardly much of anything for 7mb what can you cram in to (9mb) hoping for the best!

Improved performance of the Whitebalance
The accuracy of the Whitebalance presets and the Autowhitebalance function is higher with Vs. 2.0.0.11.
This results in better skin tones and better general color rendering.
Improved Video quality
The visibility of compression artifacts is reduced due to lower video compression.
Lens calibration
For coded Leica lenses the image homogeneity (color shift) has been improved.
General Bugfixes
_Improved stability using Live View with and without EVF-2
_Problem with Display settings in combination with “Sharpness high” fixed
_Problem with bad exposures after switching the camera on fixed.
_The “Auto Power Off” function showed unexpected behavior, this is fixed.
_The recording dates for video files have been wrong sometimes, this is fixed.
_Problem with Copyright- and Artist-Information in EXIF-Data fixed
_Improvement of general system stability
_Several minor bugfixes

Double Negative

Not Available
Yes, the release date is June 30th; the URL that passed around is bogus as it just downloads .12. Unfortunately, that list of updates above is from that release also.

Won't be long now... Supposed to be a "nice" update. ;)

scott kirkpatrick

Download is working now. There is a firmware file, a list of changes in many languages, and the usual instructions on where to stuff it all and which button to push.

And the changes in function look great to me. Video disabled! Live View not coming up when you don't want it to! Auto-ISO in manual! and lots more....

scott

PS: note that after installing the new firmware you must reset all parameters that might have been changed back to defaults.

Last edited:
So now purists can disable both live view and video.. that'll turn the camera into a more traditional M. I guess it's important for some :)

//Juha

Godfrey

Played with an M240 again for the first time since early launch days yesterday. What stands out to me, again, are the vastly improved responsiveness of the shutter release and the shot-to-shot times. The older EV Compensation business was poor ergonomics ... I like that this FW update puts the dial in direct control without needing to hold down a button.

Not in a buying mood at present, but I could see selling my X2 and M9 to offset the cost of an M240 body. I'm just not sure it's worth it given that my experience using the Sony A7 and Leica R lenses is so good.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The M240 starts now getting really interesting for me - finally!

If Leica would now bring an M260 with that FW status, size of the M9P and new EFV from the Leica T that would make me get back into a digital M system immediately - at least as fast as they can deliver :)

Godfrey

The M240 starts now getting really interesting for me - finally!

If Leica would now bring an M260 with that FW status, size of the M9P and new EFV from the Leica T that would make me get back into a digital M system immediately - at least as fast as they can deliver :)
In handling the M240*side by side with the M9, I didn't feel that it was noticeably larger than the M9. Without the bulbous protuberance of the M9's four-way controller and surrounding ring, it felt trimmer in my hands.

G