The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Macro adaptor question

Robert Campbell

The new macro adaptor can be used with any lens.

What about the "old" 9cm Macro-Elmar; can the new adaptor be used with it in the same way as with the new lens?—On the new lens, the adaptor can be left on, and the unextended lens will focus to ∞; will this work with the old lens?

henningw

The new lens locks in the collapsed position, and the aperture ring extends further out. That makes it a lot easier to use in the collapsed position than the old lens.

In spite of this, I might well get the new macro adapter to go with my old lens. I love the lens, and the new adapter has of course much wider application.

Henning

Robert Campbell

Thanks for the info. I seem to find that interesting compositions so often lie just at the with/without macro adaptor, and it's a bit of a pain putting it on, then off, then on again.

I wondered if the new adaptor would make this transition "seamless"; but as the old lens doesn't lock, it might turn into a different sort of fiddle.

jonoslack

Hi Robert. I understand that Athe old lens focuses past infinity, and the aperture ring isn't in the right place when it's collapsed on the new Adapter, added to which, when you try to change the aperture the front of the lens turns instead.
Of course, extended the old lens works just as well as the new one.

Robert Campbell

Thanks, Jono. Just tried to change the aperture with the lens collapsed; it's next to impossible. So, using the "old" lens with the new adaptor changes one fiddle for another. Not worth it, methinks.

jonoslack

Thanks, Jono. Just tried to change the aperture with the lens collapsed; it's next to impossible. So, using the "old" lens with the new adaptor changes one fiddle for another. Not worth it, methinks.
I think you're right, on the other hand, the adapter itself is a thing of wonder and fun and works with all M lenses.

algrove

Messed about with mine on the APO 50 and I find all kinds of flexibility if you want to call it that. :banghead:
It took me some time to get the hang of it, but one can focus the lens as well as the adapter. Beautifully made.