The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filter sizes for Leica R lenses ... ?

Godfrey

I'm hoping that some of the folks here with experience using Leica R lenses can assist.

I have a bunch of Leica R lenses and am trying to get a couple of ND filters for them. The ones I most likely want filters for are the 24mm, 50mm, 90mm, and 180mm.

- The Elmarit-R 24mm is listed to take a "Series 8" filter. Is this a threaded size? or does it need a holder? Can't seem to find a filter sized this way other than for Series 8 filter holders. What size thread is this for use with a Cokin type square filter holder?

- The others are listed as E55 size. What does "E55" mean? Is this a standard 55mm threaded filter size?

Thanks! It's confusing the way these lenses are listed for filter sizes.

G

CVickery

I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me answer the 'Series 8' questions, but E55 refers to a standard 55mm threaded filter.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Godfrey,

these numbers / assignments are confusing indeed - has always been the case with Leica (lenses).

Series 8 is a special filter size, not sur what mm size it equals, but if you get a filter holder for Series 8 that will work.

E55 is simply a 55mm filter. Of course you could also use a 55mm filter holder for your ND filters.

Hope that helps

Peter

Godfrey

Thanks!

I want to get a variable ND to cover at least these two sizes, the primary notion being to do some light video work with the A7. I might even have the 55mm adapter for the old square filter holder setup already ... if not, I'm sure I have 52mm and 67mm, and stepup rings work fine for that stuff. :)

I might just take the 24mm with its "Series 8" filter mount over to the store and see what fits. They have a decent selection of filters there.

G

algrove

I have a few series VIII filters for my Leica lenses, a couple of ND included. All my Series VIII filters have no threads and usually fit between lens and hood as they must be held in place in some way.

Looking at one ND filter--it is a B+W 102 ND 0.6 -2 BL 4x MRC. Probably got it from B&H. I can check if that's needed.

doug

The lenses that use Series filters often also have filter threads. The old-version 60 Macro uses Series VIII filters held by the hood but it also has E60 filter threads. I don't know about the 24 but this might be worth looking into.

Godfrey

The lenses that use Series filters often also have filter threads. The old-version 60 Macro uses Series VIII filters held by the hood but it also has E60 filter threads. I don't know about the 24 but this might be worth looking into.
Mystery solved! The Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 takes Series 8 drop-in filters. The lens hood is the retaining ring.

I looked in the hood and saw a thin ledge all the way around, and realized that it also had the rubber wheel for rotating a polarizer. My Hasselblad SWC takes Series 8*drop-in filters nominally (special ones with an offset filter glass to clear the front element) ... they drop right in, no problem at all, and work perfectly.

Tricky these Germans. ;-)

Series 8 have a 63mm diameter and sit on the edge of the lens' bezel. The bezel is threaded as well, so it probably takes 58-60mm threaded filters too.

G

henningw

Heliopan make almost any filter in any size, and they can be ordered. If a dealer in the US won't order them for you (it would probably be a year before you got them anyway) find a dealer in Germany that will do business via email and get them to order and send you the filter. Should get it within a month or two.

I just looked it up on Heliopan's price list, and they produce ND 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0 and 3.0 as well as a Vario (0.3-1.8). Series VIII is only available up to ND 0.9 and not in Vario. Threaded goes from 27mm to 105mm in all densities.

Typical prices: E60 ND 0.9 55Euros; ND 1.2 through 3.0 65Euros. These prices are from 2012.

Henning