The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S 100mm F2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This lens and an S or S2 would probably be the only piece of photographic equipment I would ever need. It's an economic question of course, and at the moment, I can't even afford the lens, but it's a thought :p

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This lens and an S or S2 would probably be the only piece of photographic equipment I would ever need. It's an economic question of course, and at the moment, I can't even afford the lens, but it's a thought :p
I agree 100%

Only (and here comes my GAS into play again) I would also like a wide angle as well!

Used Leica S cameras are pretty "cheap" meanwhile .... €7900.- http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_de/leica/leica-s-system/s2.html

Used 2.8/30 Elmarit ..... €3600.- http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_de/leica/leica-s-system/elmarit-s-2-8-30mm-asph.html

Well, still expensive.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

fotografz

I can say that if push came to shove, a CS45 and CS100 could do it for me. That's equivalent to a 35 and 75-80ish in 35mm terms … which have always been my most used focal lengths.

I have the CS35 and wondered it that was going to be too close to the 45 I recently added. As it turns out, it isn't for my applications … I go to the 35 when shooting larger groups or environmental portraits, where anything wider would introduce to much W/A "people distortion".

I currently use the Hasselblad 100/2.2 on my S2P, so I know how the focal length works …:thumbup:

- Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I can say that if push came to shove, a CS45 and CS100 could do it for me. That's equivalent to a 35 and 75-80ish in 35mm terms … which have always been my most used focal lengths.

I have the CS35 and wondered it that was going to be too close to the 45 I recently added. As it turns out, it isn't for my applications … I go to the 35 when shooting larger groups or environmental portraits, where anything wider would introduce to much W/A "people distortion".

I currently use the Hasselblad 100/2.2 on my S2P, so I know how the focal length works …:thumbup:

- Marc
I see I also could survive with 2 lenses and I do agree that 35mm equivalent is maybe better in case of only 2 lenses. I just mentioned the 30 as it is available used at Leica Shop Vienna. And if I would go S System, then I would try to only buy used in order to minimize loss.

peterv

I can understand you wanting this lens, Rob. I just bought the 120 a few months ago - and it is a wonderful lens, no doubt. But a 100 Summicron sounds delicious. I can't wait to see some sample images. I wonder how nice the OOF areas will render.

The German press release talks about "special optimization for skintones" and I wonder how this works, exactly.

peterv

I wonder... if I sell all my gear... :shocked:
That is exactly what I did in March last year. Every time I download the photos to my computer and see them in all their glory, I'm delighted. Right now I'm having some problems with my 120 mm but I'm sure that will get sorted out.

Really no regrets, the IQ is that good.

RVB

I can understand you wanting this lens, Rob. I just bought the 120 a few months ago - and it is a wonderful lens, no doubt. But a 100 Summicron sounds delicious. I can't wait to see some sample images. I wonder how nice the OOF areas will render.

The German press release talks about "special optimization for skintones" and I wonder how this works, exactly.

Peter,my "guess" is that they have adjusted micro contrast and sharpness to produce pleasing skin rendition .. A little less sharp perhaps to provide a black mist 1/4 filter look to the skin..

anGy

- Marc
Small out of topic:
Marc do you see an IQ difference between the 35 & the new 45 ? (sharpness, micro contrast, bokeh)

peterv

The latest issue of LFI says there will not be a CS version of the 100 mm.

"Due to its high light sensitivity, the Summicron requires lens elements with a larger diameter, so that a central shutter could not be accommodated."

That's too bad for photographers that want to do outdoor environmental portraits. Still, it's a nice lens, I think.

Schmiddi

"Due to its high light sensitivity, the Summicron requires lens elements with a larger diameter, so that a central shutter could not be accommodated."
Hmm, Rollei/Zeiss made a 2/110mm in PQ mount - and that's even a true 6x6 lens. Shutter limited to 1/500s - but anyway, it's possible...

Andreas

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hmm, Rollei/Zeiss made a 2/110mm in PQ mount - and that's even a true 6x6 lens. Shutter limited to 1/500s - but anyway, it's possible...

Andreas
Not if you standardize on one central shutter that is too small.....

Bob

RVB

The latest issue of LFI says there will not be a CS version of the 100 mm.

That's too bad for photographers that want to do outdoor environmental portraits. Still, it's a nice lens, I think.
If Hasselblad can make a 100 2.2 with leaf shutters that sync at 1/800s that why can't Leica?This is disappointing news.. I may end up with a HCD 100 instead!