The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 and Auto ISO

jonoslack

I got hooked on auto ISO with my D700, I would set the camera in manual, allowing me to set blur and dof (shutter and aperture), then let the camera flip the ISO around. Perfect for changing light.

Since going to the A900, I miss that feature, and I think it's going to push me to get an M8.
HI Jeff
I think the A900 does very well with Auto ISO . . . what's the problem?

J

jeff stevens

HI Jeff
I think the A900 does very well with Auto ISO . . . what's the problem?
You can't set auto ISO in manual. Otherwise, it's a flawless camera. I love shooting with the Minolta 28 f2, a brilliant combo.

cam

a question for those who are using it on the M8/M8.2 -- do you notice any shutter lag whilst using it?

(excellent examples, btw! i would have instinctively set the ISO very high in these lighting conditions.)

ecliffordsmith

Hi Cam,

I have never noticed any shutter lag with the M8. Do you mean with auto ISO specifically? If so, I have not used it enough to comment.

I find the camera to be very responsive.

cam

I have never noticed any shutter lag with the M8. Do you mean with auto ISO specifically? If so, I have not used it enough to comment.
yes, i'm asking specifically about auto-ISO. i know the camera is otherwise quite lovely and responsive, as is the wont of rangefinders.... i've only used auto-ISO on my small sensor cameras and have noticed a slight lag -- which is why i'm asking. if this is minimal on the M, it's just icing on the cake to me!

i shoot a lot at 1600 on the Epson and know there are many times i could have pulled back to 800. although the "grain" is pleasing, it is not always desirable (especially in faces) and can get a little too artsy, even for my taste. i'd rather have a cleaner file that i can rough up if i so choose.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Cam,

I just tried the auto ISO out a bit at lunch time and it not seem to slow things down at all.

I got told to clear off though by a security guard who told me it was illegal to take photographs of European institution entrances. Hmm ...

I actually work at one so will try and find out whether this is true or not.

cam

I just tried the auto ISO out a bit at lunch time and it not seem to slow things down at all.

I got told to clear off though by a security guard who told me it was illegal to take photographs of European institution entrances. Hmm ...

I actually work at one so will try and find out whether this is true or not.
thank you, Ed! i appreciate it. (wouldn't mind you check this out in night lighting as well :D

as for the other -- yes, i believe it to be true. i've been told the same thing, even when i was using my little GRD. then again, my french is not so hot :ROTFL:

ecliffordsmith

Hi Cam,

Thanks for confirming.

I was walking down Whitehall very early one Saturday morning with a black anorak on and my camera round my neck and the looks I got form the Police and security guards were incredible.

I will try the auto ISO again this evening and let you know if I notice any lag.

jonoslack

Hi Cam
I've been using the auto-iso, and I'm 99.99% certain that it has no effect on the shutter lag, you can see why it might do on a compact camera though.

Ed - I was driving through Antwerpen yesterday afternoon . . . should have dropped by for a cuppa!

cam

thank you, Jono -- it was one of those things i've been wondering about. seems a bit like cheating after using my very manual R-D1 but, god, what a wonderful cheat!

M8.2 goes up even further on my list. if only i could stop my lust for glass..............

gogopix

Subscriber
One of the things everyone should realize is that Robert has likely the steadiest hands in the business.:thumbs:

I think my Gitzo moves more :D He hand-holds 280mm lenses like they are 50's!

Nice captures Robert!

regards
Victor

ecliffordsmith

Hi Cam,

After a weekend of playing with the auto ISO I have come to the same conclusion as Jono. It does not seem to slow things down at all.

Jono,

You would always be welcome to drop by!

cam

Hi Cam,

After a weekend of playing with the auto ISO I have come to the same conclusion as Jono. It does not seem to slow things down at all.

Jono,

You would always be welcome to drop by!
thank you for getting back to me, Ed! i weakened and bought another lens, so the M8.2 is still a way's away. nice to have that knowledge, though, when the time comes.

btw, if you two are partying, i definitely want in! we can have an old-fashioned, available light, high-ISO shoot out :p

jonoslack

did either of you see In Bruges?

:ROTFL:
Still waiting - I know I have to!
Emma and I went to Bruges in December for 2 hours . . . it was pouring with rain, so we had a good lunch and headed for Calais.

Perhaps one really could do a meeting there . . . . . .we could all dress up as gansters.