Site Sponsors

Thread: M8 and Auto ISO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M8 and Auto ISO

I was at a MIR concert last night and brought my M8 along. I was impressed with how well the auto ISO worked in combination with auto exposure. I made a few test shots and found that -1 2/3 exposure compensation gave good results on auto with the varying stage lighting and the 35mm Summicron and Noctilux. With the 90mm I had to set - 1 1/3 to compensate for the narrower angle of view and less of the dark background to throw off the metering.

The good surprise was the M8 would sometimes drop as low as 160iso when the spots were on the performer. A lot of the time it was choosing 320-640 iso, with a few at 1250 in lower light or with the f2 lenses. Even the Noctilux hit 1250iso in lower light levels.

Here is a link to the gallery. The lens and iso will show at the bottom of the gallery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M8 and Auto ISO

Truly Superb ...Love it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

kudos for trying the auto ISO feature. I think I've been a bit timid about using it, afraid I'd end up with lots of noise from an over-compensated ISO setting. Nice shots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had one of the band members over to pick some shots. He picked a lot that I hadn't picked yet. Some of them were the high iso, but he liked them. Here is a sample with the WATE at 21mm and 1250iso. What looks like banding in the top of the picture is a catwalk.

Last edited by robsteve; 21st January 2009 at 17:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Superb Robert, great work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

dfine takes care of high iso banding fyi. I am a convert!

I find the auto ISO very useful, particularly as you say, it picks 160 very often especially with fast lenses (hello--all of 'em!)

contrast this with the Canon implementation of Auto ISO and it is lens dependent only, which can be "optimistic" on wides tending to pick 1/30, 1/20 very often. I have to go to Tv to set the floor at 1/60 for example, and therefore lose control over aperture.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob,

Nice images, I am sure the band were very happy.

I never take photographs in such changing light conditions but you have pointed out a very good use for auto ISO.

Do you think you would have missed some shots without it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecliffordsmith View Post
    Rob,

Do you think you would have missed some shots without it?
    I don't know if I would have missed some shots, but assuming I was using auto-exposure, there may have been times when I was shooting at very high shutter speeds or very low shutter speeds. In other words, if I set the camera to 640iso I might have had a lot of shots at very slow shutter speeds, while if I chose 1250iso, I might have had a few shots at 1/1000th of a second or faster, when I could really have shot at a lower iso and gotten better quality.

Robert

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots Robert looks like it handled it very well
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Robert
    Great stuff
    I've got all three of my user settings on auto-ISO now (and only one on auto WB).

It's a funny old world, 18 months ago I used AWB all the time and wouldn't have touched auto ISO with a bargepole. Nowadays I use auto-ISO most of the time, and hardly ever touch AWB

Just this guy you know

Cancelledreality

Hi Rob,

These are very nice.
    I haven't used auto ISO yet, but now I am going to try it.

Hans

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wasn't actually shooting the concert for them. One of the band members, the brother of the lead guitarist is a next door neighbor and invited us to come see them play live. They are quite popular in Germany now and haven't played locally in three years.

Originally I thought it was being filmed by the CBC for an arts show and there would be good TV type lighting. When I got there I realized it was CBC Radio Canada and they didn't need much light for the radio

Here is a closer shot of the guitar. I used the 90mm here and with the spot on it, the auto iso had me down to 320iso.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a few more.

This was the WATE at 18mm. I was in the front row, so I needed a wide angle for some shots.

A couple Noctilux shots at f1.2 showing how the light could change. The guitar changed between these shots too. The smoke got pretty dense at times.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stuff. Guess I need to take the plunge and try that Auto ISO.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rob,

Impressive shots. The auto WB really has done a good job here. I really like the photograph of the stage with just the equipment and smoke.

When auto WB was released I had nt real opinion about it and do not really use it much myself. No particular reason, I just tend to shoot in stable light conditions more. When I see how useful it is in these situations it is clear what and an added value feature this is for people who work in changing light conditions a lot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Rob,

Impressive shots. The auto WB really has done a good job here. I really like the photograph of the stage with just the equipment and smoke.

When auto WB was released I had nt real opinion about it and do not really use it much myself. No particular reason, I just tend to shoot in stable light conditions more. When I see how useful it is in these situations it is clear what and an added value feature this is for people who work in changing light conditions a lot.
    hmm - do you mean auto WB or auto ISO?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,

Well spotted! I did indeed mean auto ISO. My auto typing is off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Rob,

I was shooting on the tungsten setting In post I dropped the tint from -5 to -9 on some of them, but left the temperature as it was shot.

Yes, the auto-ISO worked great. I was surprised when I found I was even getting 160iso on some. In the old days, these lower ISO shots would probably been over exposed and just blown out.

Robert

Cancelledreality

Rob, thank you for starting this thread. It started me trying Auto-ISO.
    I've never used Auto-ISO before this, but last Saturday I tried it and it worked great. Will post the shots later!

jeff stevens

I got hooked on auto ISO with my D700, I would set the camera in manual, allowing me to set blur and dof (shutter and aperture), then let the camera flip the ISO around. Perfect for changing light.

Since going to the A900, I miss that feature, and I think it's going to push me to get an M8.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeff stevens View Post
    I got hooked on auto ISO with my D700, I would set the camera in manual, allowing me to set blur and dof (shutter and aperture), then let the camera flip the ISO around. Perfect for changing light.

Since going to the A900, I miss that feature, and I think it's going to push me to get an M8.
    HI Jeff
    I think the A900 does very well with Auto ISO . . . what's the problem?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    I was shooting on the tungsten setting In post I dropped the tint from -5 to -9 on some of them, but left the temperature as it was shot.

Robert
    Robert, stunning photos as usual.

jeff stevens

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Jeff
    I think the A900 does very well with Auto ISO . . . what's the problem?
    You can't set auto ISO in manual. Otherwise, it's a flawless camera. I love shooting with the Minolta 28 f2, a brilliant combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a question for those who are using it on the M8/M8.2 -- do you notice any shutter lag whilst using it?

(excellent examples, btw! i would have instinctively set the ISO very high in these lighting conditions.)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cam,

I have never noticed any shutter lag with the M8. Do you mean with auto ISO specifically? If so, I have not used it enough to comment.

I find the camera to be very responsive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have never noticed any shutter lag with the M8. Do you mean with auto ISO specifically? If so, I have not used it enough to comment.
    yes, i'm asking specifically about auto-ISO. i know the camera is otherwise quite lovely and responsive, as is the wont of rangefinders.... i've only used auto-ISO on my small sensor cameras and have noticed a slight lag -- which is why i'm asking. if this is minimal on the M, it's just icing on the cake to me!

i shoot a lot at 1600 on the Epson and know there are many times i could have pulled back to 800. although the "grain" is pleasing, it is not always desirable (especially in faces) and can get a little too artsy, even for my taste. i'd rather have a cleaner file that i can rough up if i so choose.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cam,

I just tried the auto ISO out a bit at lunch time and it not seem to slow things down at all.

I got told to clear off though by a security guard who told me it was illegal to take photographs of European institution entrances. Hmm ...

I actually work at one so will try and find out whether this is true or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just tried the auto ISO out a bit at lunch time and it not seem to slow things down at all.

I got told to clear off though by a security guard who told me it was illegal to take photographs of European institution entrances. Hmm ...

I actually work at one so will try and find out whether this is true or not.
    thank you, Ed! i appreciate it. (wouldn't mind you check this out in night lighting as well

as for the other -- yes, i believe it to be true. i've been told the same thing, even when i was using my little GRD. then again, my french is not so hot

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cam,

Thanks for confirming.

I was walking down Whitehall very early one Saturday morning with a black anorak on and my camera round my neck and the looks I got form the Police and security guards were incredible.

I will try the auto ISO again this evening and let you know if I notice any lag.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cam
    I've been using the auto-iso, and I'm 99.99% certain that it has no effect on the shutter lag, you can see why it might do on a compact camera though.

Ed - I was driving through Antwerpen yesterday afternoon . . . should have dropped by for a cuppa!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I was walking down Whitehall very early one Saturday morning with a black anorak on and my camera round my neck and the looks I got form the Police and security guards were incredible.
    Just jealous that they don't have a Leica...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, Jono -- it was one of those things i've been wondering about. seems a bit like cheating after using my very manual R-D1 but, god, what a wonderful cheat!

M8.2 goes up even further on my list. if only i could stop my lust for glass..............

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things everyone should realize is that Robert has likely the steadiest hands in the business.

I think my Gitzo moves more He hand-holds 280mm lenses like they are 50's!

Nice captures Robert!

regards
    Victor

nei1

"even"a security guard can own a leica.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cam,

After a weekend of playing with the auto ISO I have come to the same conclusion as Jono. It does not seem to slow things down at all.

Jono,

You would always be welcome to drop by!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cam,

After a weekend of playing with the auto ISO I have come to the same conclusion as Jono. It does not seem to slow things down at all.

Jono,

thank you for getting back to me, Ed! i weakened and bought another lens, so the M8.2 is still a way's away. nice to have that knowledge, though, when the time comes.

btw, if you two are partying, i definitely want in! we can have an old-fashioned, available light, high-ISO shoot out

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cam,

Jono,

Thank you Ed - sounds like a fine idea

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post

btw, if you two are partying, i definitely want in! we can have an old-fashioned, available light, high-ISO shoot out
    Right, maybe we should meet half way between you two . . . how about an afternoon in Bruges?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono/Cam/All,

That sounds like a nice suggestion to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

did either of you see In Bruges?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

did either of you see In Bruges?

Still waiting - I know I have to!
    Emma and I went to Bruges in December for 2 hours . . . it was pouring with rain, so we had a good lunch and headed for Calais.

Perhaps one really could do a meeting there . . . . . .we could all dress up as gansters.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you say Bruges?
    Perhaps in the spring
    Attachment 11684
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very Nice Bob
    How about April 7th chaps (and chapesses of course)?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't see why not, other than I have board meeting May 19-20 in Paris, so maybe May 17-18 might be more convenient.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Don't see why not, other than I have board meeting May 19-20 in Paris, so maybe May 17-18 might be more convenient.
    -bob
    Sounds okay by me
    but if you have a bored meeting - how can you manage the couple of hours to Bruges and back?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ah, May sucks for me... i have to be "Super Auntie" which means traveling back to the states for various birthdays, graduations, and a bar mitzvah...

we will not discuss the jury duty i've put off for a few years that i've promised to show up for on the 11th hmmmmmmmm, i wonder if cameras are allowed in court buildings. think i can get the 75 Lux past the metal detector?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ah, May sucks for me... i have to be "Super Auntie" which means traveling back to the states for various birthdays, graduations, and a bar mitzvah...

we will not discuss the jury duty i've put off for a few years that i've promised to show up for on the 11th hmmmmmmmm, i wonder if cameras are allowed in court buildings. think i can get the 75 Lux past the metal detector?
    To be honest, May isn't likely to be great for me either . . . so perhaps it's back to April . . . . I'll bear it in mind when organising trips to Holland.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

I have not seen the film but hear it is quite funny! The town of Bruges really is very lovely though. Very walkable with lots of photographic opportunities and nice places to relax and take a rest.